Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

A creepy thing happened on today's short ride.

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

A creepy thing happened on today's short ride.

Old 10-21-14, 09:01 PM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Not all dogs bark. I think it might be an error to assume that a silent dog is somehow more aggressive. Some dogs have been trained to behave.... which in their minds means not making the sounds.... that get them caught. Chasing a cyclist: not a problem. Barking at a cyclist: the dogs owner comes out and yells. So the dog learns to modify it's behavior so as to stay out of trouble.
Old 10-22-14, 05:38 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Sounds to me like a coyote. I've got 'em here in mid-Michigan, even had to rescue one of my barn cats from one a few months back.
Old 10-22-14, 09:20 AM
RideMyWheel

Bikes: 2014 Felt Z100, 1987 Schwinn Sierra

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GravelMN
I had one mishap involving a lab cross farm dog. He also stealthed up on me, no sign of aggression, not really even chasing, just happy to run along side of me. Until he spotted something in the opposite ditch and crashed into my front wheel.
SQUIRREL!

But seriously, folks.... As much as I defend dogs around here, some Labs are downright stupid. I've had four. Two were great. The other two were too playful, aggressive, clumsy, and sometime bullies. It's impossible to predict what one will do if you're unfamiliar with it, but frustratingly easy if it's your dog. Inbreeding has undone what natural selection had taken care of centuries ago. Some have chased deer through the woods until their own heart exploded and killed them. Be suspicious of any creature that will willingly jump into ice water just to retrieve a dead bird--and then beg for the chance to do it again.

So if you happen to see a Labrador Retriever closing in on your rear wheel, it is most likely one of the stupid ones. Don't trust that it's just happy to have someone to run with. They're dangerous even when they're not being aggressive. My same rule of thumb applies: STOP, use the bike as a shield, and forcefully order the dog home. Any Lab that would chase you would probably LOVE to be yelled at.

...and by the way, pepper spray does NOT work on them. They like pain. It might follow you home and you'll have to keep it.
Old 10-22-14, 11:21 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by RideMyWheel
[SIZE=4][B]Be suspicious of any creature that will willingly jump into ice water just to retrieve a dead bird--and then beg for the chance to do it again.
My brother had a lab that wouldn't play fetch unless it involved swimming. Even in the winter. Cold water might bother us A LOT but it doesn't seem to bother labs. Maybe has something to do with liking pain?

When a dog is in 'final attack' mode, pepper spray will not even slow them down. Spray only works when they're in the 'evaluation' mode - deciding what to do. But then they're probably too far away for spray to do any good.
Old 10-22-14, 11:30 AM
koolerb

Bikes: CAAD 12, ROS 9+, and some others

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
I've never had a dog chase silently, they are always barking their heads off. Cows are another story.
Old 10-22-14, 01:43 PM
Mountain Mitch

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Exp ert Road and Specialized Stump Jumper FS Mountain; De Vinci Caribou touring, Intense Tracer T275c, Cramerotti, Specialized Allez, Condor

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by ofgit
I ... recalled hearing about cougar sitings in the area for the last several years. There have been increasing numbers of black bear sightings as well as trail cam evidence of both species. You get a different feeling in your gut after actually seeing one of these animals in the local woods. I recently saw a black bear cross the road in front of my car about 2 miles from where I live.
Around here black bear sightings are a daily occurence (often in my yard/porch/deck) and cougars are not infrequently seen. I don't worry about the bears (my wife has ridden right up to them to shoo them off the trail!) but I take the cougars very seriously. We know the habits of the bears and they are not prone to be aggressive - I'm not suggesting that holds true for bears in other areas. Just that there is a long history of 'sharing the woods' around here.

I don't think much can be determined about the intent of a dog based on barking or lack of it. Our area is full of mountain bikers who ride with their dogs as 'coach dogs' who can keep things like the bears (see above) away. These dogs are entirely familiar with bikes and have no aggressive intent when they run silently with you. My own dogs (Lab and German Shorthair) are both 'bike blind'. They literally don't seem to even see bikes and have no interest in them...although they would also never chase one simply because bikes don't exist to them.
Old 10-22-14, 06:46 PM
GravelMN

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
SQUIRREL!

But seriously, folks.... As much as I defend dogs around here, some Labs are downright stupid. I've had four. Two were great. The other two were too playful, aggressive, clumsy, and sometime bullies. It's impossible to predict what one will do if you're unfamiliar with it, but frustratingly easy if it's your dog. Inbreeding has undone what natural selection had taken care of centuries ago. Some have chased deer through the woods until their own heart exploded and killed them. Be suspicious of any creature that will willingly jump into ice water just to retrieve a dead bird--and then beg for the chance to do it again.

So if you happen to see a Labrador Retriever closing in on your rear wheel, it is most likely one of the stupid ones. Don't trust that it's just happy to have someone to run with. They're dangerous even when they're not being aggressive. My same rule of thumb applies: STOP, use the bike as a shield, and forcefully order the dog home. Any Lab that would chase you would probably LOVE to be yelled at.

...and by the way, pepper spray does NOT work on them. They like pain. It might follow you home and you'll have to keep it.
Yep, I had a lab too. Lovable mutt not a mean bone in her body but a knack for being in the wrong place at the wrong time, knocking things over and causing general mayhem. I miss that dog but would never have wanted her running along side of me while I was riding, heck, she could be a hazard just taking her for a walk.
Old 10-27-14, 01:14 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked 3,575 Times in 2,339 Posts
a little levity ... Pink Panther - Peter Sellers as Clouseau, "Does your dog bite"? - YouTube
Old 10-28-14, 09:06 AM
trackhub

Bikes: Bridgestone RB-1. Nicely restored

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Hmm... A dog, or possibly, a Coyote story. Darn! Reading the title of this thread, I was hoping for something like this: "On Today's ride, this gorgeous woman appeared on my left,
and she was clad entirely in skin tight black lycra, and she said, in a voice that would melt steel, "I know everything there is to know about you." Now, this would be creepy, but in a
good way.

But, a dog/coyote story is fine.
Old 10-31-14, 03:04 AM
Corben

Bikes: 2014 Dawes Lightning 1000.1990 Schwinn Voyuager. 1997 specialized Crossroads Hybrid.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DeadGrandpa
As a former cattle rancher, I am somewhat biased. The dogs who don't bark are the most dangerous and determined. The best defense is a good offense: pepper spray if not lead poisoning. Locating and reasoning with the owner will avail you nothing but denial and potential hostilities. Just MHO.
Put pure lemon juice in a spare bottle and squirt it into thier eyes. (I read.)
Old 11-04-14, 10:35 AM
RideMyWheel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a new addition to the creepy list. Deer in rut.

Several times yesterday, an hour before dusk, there they were at the edge of the road. Some ran away when they heard me coming, some just stood there less than 10 feet away and watched me ride by. A few ran along side through the leaves--I couldn't see them, but they ran faster than I was rolling. Once over the summer I saw one dart across the street about 30 feet in front of me.

I'm going to glue some antlers to my helmet. Gotta be sure they know I'm a buck.
Old 11-04-14, 02:14 PM
David Bierbaum

Bikes: 1992 Specialized Crossroads (red)

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 19 Posts
I have a new addition to the creepy list. Deer in rut.

Several times yesterday, an hour before dusk, there they were at the edge of the road. Some ran away when they heard me coming, some just stood there less than 10 feet away and watched me ride by. A few ran along side through the leaves--I couldn't see them, but they ran faster than I was rolling. Once over the summer I saw one dart across the street about 30 feet in front of me.

I'm going to glue some antlers to my helmet. Gotta be sure they know I'm a buck.
That might actually be a really bad idea. If they think you're a doe, they'll be thinking thoughts of love, but another buck is a rival to be driven from their territory with extreme prejudice!
Old 11-05-14, 09:10 AM
RideMyWheel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by David Bierbaum
That might actually be a really bad idea. If they think you're a doe, they'll be thinking thoughts of love, but another buck is a rival to be driven from their territory with extreme prejudice!
Well, I hadn't thought of it that way... I was thinking about the old joke about the bulls. I'd rather have to fight a buck than experience the alternative!

I rode the same route yesterday and the deer were quiet, but I got a new distraction--SQUIRREL! Seriously, a little dude jumped onto the street from out of nowhere--he might have fallen from a tree. Then he ran along beside me for 50 feet or so, darting toward my front wheel a couple times. He chattered at me once, too. Kind of funny but could have been just as disastrous for both of us.
Old 11-08-14, 06:52 PM
Louis Le Tour

Location: Currently living in Oakdale, CA about 20 mi. NE of Modesto in the hot central valley.

Bikes: Surly LHTD with a YAK trailer. I may have to ditch the trailer and go to panniers but I'll give it a try and see what happens.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DeadGrandpa
As a former cattle rancher, I am somewhat biased. The dogs who don't bark are the most dangerous and determined. The best defense is a good offense: pepper spray if not lead poisoning. Locating and reasoning with the owner will avail you nothing but denial and potential hostilities. Just MHO.
Spot on.