Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Time for a rest?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Time for a rest?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-14, 05:53 PM
VNA

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
A doctor visit is a must if one has a change in terms of motivation, strength and particularly muscle pain.
A blood test can tell almost everything when it comes to physical changes no matter at what age.
Old 12-18-14, 02:39 PM
jlstrat

Bikes: litespeed blue ridge

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the many insightful comments. That's why I come here. I've taken some short rides this week and I'll hit 5000 mile tomorrow. I've enjoyed my rides this week, so I think a little rest is OK, and next week I'll do a ride with a friend, maybe 50 miles. This year I think I'll skip riding in the rain if it's less than 50 degrees Fahrenheit, and no riding in single digit temps. I also want to do some trail riding. so...full speed ahead!
Old 12-19-14, 12:49 PM
RideMyWheel

Bikes: 2014 Felt Z100, 1987 Schwinn Sierra

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Before you spend too much time dwelling on not making 5500, take a hard look at the 5000 you DID cover. Those 35 you did into a headwind could have set you back three weeks. So maybe you're not that far off of your goal after all? Like age, mileage is just a number. You've been around long enough to know that not every mile, or year is the same. Some are harder than others. Rest for a while and come back stronger than ever in February.

I'm resetting my ODO on New Year's morning, and writing off 2014 as a "break-in" year. I didn't start riding again until May, and it took me three months to get legs and lungs. A year from now I'd love to be able to say that I did 100 miles per week, every week, but with my schedule that's not realistic. I can do it some weeks, though, so I'm really looking forward to it! I have no goal for 2015 except to become a stronger climber. Everything else will take care of itself.