Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Feeling Old vs Being Old

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Feeling Old vs Being Old

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-14, 11:19 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
The first time you use the excuse you are too old to do something, you will probably never do it again. Then you are on the long down hill slide. If you have fairly good health keep doing everything you can. Old age is mainly a bad attitude.
Old 12-22-14, 02:32 AM
TXsailor

Bikes: Origin-8 Lactic Acid Giant Escape 2 Centurian Lemans 12 Kuwahara Tandem 1989 Ironman Expert 1988 Ironman Master

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 59 Posts
I drive a Corvette a Miata and a 56 Chevy hotrod, ride bikes with my kids and grandkids, work 40 hours a week in a factory where I out work people half my age. I go to the Dr twice a year for a checkup to keep my wife happy. I don't know what 62 is supposed to feel like but I like it!

Yes I have a few aches and pains and the eye doctor told me I have the beginning of a cataract but I'm not going to let minor stuff keep me from enjoying the rest of my life no matter how long or short it may be.
Old 12-22-14, 04:25 AM
North Coast Joe

Bikes: Couple of rigid MTB's and a fixed gear

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 12 Posts
Feeling young still, except:

A group of my contemporaries and I have been kayak surfing the Lake since high school. Autumn is when the best conditions come up due to storm activity. It's also when the water temp plunges to the freezing level.

Maybe older is smarter, but I can't bring myself to pull on the wetsuit and let the Lake beat me into the sandy, rocky bottom anymore. I gave it up two years ago, and miss it dearly. Miss it, but can't suffer the physical abuse like I used to. There are younger surfers that have started to replace our original group...the circle of life?

Hard to feel young when there are things I'm just not willing to do anymore
Old 12-22-14, 08:20 AM
rydabent
Banned

north

But dont you believe in the old racer boy adage no pain no gain?
Old 12-22-14, 11:38 AM
TCR Rider

Bikes: Pinarello Dogma F8 Giant TCR Advanced 2 Jamis Coda

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 115 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
The first time you use the excuse you are too old to do something, you will probably never do it again. Then you are on the long down hill slide. If you have fairly good health keep doing everything you can. Old age is mainly a bad attitude.
While I beleive that you should make noconcessions to age the reality is that in order to maintain a high level of fitness you have to adapt to your current physical abilities. I have become a master of the workaround. First of all I was an adult onset athlete, I started running and really working out around thirty, I'm now sixty two. Became a fifty mile a week competitive runner and run eight marathons including Boston.
Time does take a toll, however, and after achillies reconstructive and shoulder surgery as well as a hip replacement after a fracture running was pretty much a thing of the past. That hasn't limited me as a cyclist. I regularly ride six days a week and have just passed 9000 miles for the year. I work more on flexibility these days doing yoga and more body weight exercises than free weights.
I'm happy as long as I can finish a workout feeling like I've pushed myself and not just soft pedaled for an hour. So the bottom line is that despite some limitations I don't feel my age. I like to say you're only young once but you can be immature forever.
Old 12-22-14, 07:57 PM
zonatandem

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Real age is 82. Am 5'7", weigh 135 lbs.
So far only got in 5,100+ miles for 2014. Have slowed down a bit. Quit riding the El Tour de Tucson at age 80 and have done it 29 times.
Been riding since the early 1970s and have cycled over 300,000 miles so far between tandem and single bikes.
'Old' is 10 years older than what I happen to be now!
Pedal on!
Rudy/zonatandem
Old 12-22-14, 10:51 PM
rydabent
Banned

zona

There you go-------------you have the right attitude.
Old 12-22-14, 11:05 PM
Mark Stone
Tractorlegs

Bikes: Schwinn Meridian Single-Speed Tricycle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by zonatandem
Real age is 82. Am 5'7", weigh 135 lbs.
So far only got in 5,100+ miles for 2014. Have slowed down a bit. Quit riding the El Tour de Tucson at age 80 and have done it 29 times.
Been riding since the early 1970s and have cycled over 300,000 miles so far between tandem and single bikes.
Pedal on!
Rudy/zonatandem
Wow.
Old 12-22-14, 11:52 PM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
I wasn't aware of age having a "feeling". I honestly can't say I feel any different today than I did 30 years ago... when I was in my 30's.

I used to (20 or more years ago) have more arthritic discomfort than I do now. And there was a period when my muscles appeared more elongated (a sign of ageing) than they do today. But there is no mistaking me for a much younger man. I'd guess that being healthy and fit feels "normal" or youthful. And maybe feeling ill or in poor condition due to fitness or poor diet relates to feeling "old".
Old 12-23-14, 09:44 AM
RideMyWheel

Bikes: 2014 Felt Z100, 1987 Schwinn Sierra

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I feel younger at 50 than I did at 40 or 30. Cigarettes, bad food, a little too much booze, a lot of late nights at work, and no exercise will do that to you.

So I started trying to clean up my act in early 2000. Little by little I've been able to eliminate one or two bad things per year. I knew that I was making good progress, and then it happened: In May The Bike got me. It was painful for a few months, but I persevered.

Today, only seven months later, I feel invincible. Age really is just a number. The body heals itself if you'll only give it a chance.

This song has always been a favorite of mine for some reason. I always thought it had something to do with John Lennon retreating from public life with Yoko.

But now I know why I like it. I think it's really about bicycles.

Merry Everything, and Happy Always, whatever you choose celebrate this month.
Old 12-23-14, 11:28 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked 1,980 Times in 566 Posts
Originally Posted by zonatandem
You took the works right out of my mouth!

Physically, I don't feel old at all. Yea, I get my aches and pains, but I also have times when I feel really, really good (and no, not when I've been drinking too much). That doesn't mean squat, though. My warranty expired long ago, and anything could happen at this point.

What makes me feel old? Contemporaries passing away. What I continue to think of as "babies" voting, graduating from college, and having babies of their own. That kind of stuff.

Old 12-23-14, 12:12 PM
avidone1

Bikes: 2016 Specialized crosstrail comp disc

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It's all about how one feels is it not?
Who cares what the calender says?
To paraphrase Forrest Gumps mama......"Age is as age does"
Old 12-23-14, 12:30 PM
02Giant 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
I have felt like crap for so long, I have forgotten what it was like not to be in pain. Thanks to a few health issues like arthritis in my hands and knees, a 30+ year bout with Hemochromatosis that was missed by several doctors for 25 years, I have almost constant joint pain, muscle weakness and fatigue. None of which are life threatening so they may slow me at times but I wont stop until I can not go any further.

It's great to be alive, beats the alternatives...
Old 12-23-14, 12:45 PM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
Seems like a relatively pointless study that basically proves healthy people live longer than unhealthy people...
Old 12-23-14, 12:55 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
A wise man once asked "How old would you be if you didn't know how old you was?"

Old 12-23-14, 01:35 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked 781 Times in 503 Posts
Originally Posted by 02Giant
I have felt like crap for so long, I have forgotten what it was like not to be in pain. Thanks to a few health issues like arthritis in my hands and knees, a 30+ year bout with Hemochromatosis that was missed by several doctors for 25 years, I have almost constant joint pain, muscle weakness and fatigue. None of which are life threatening so they may slow me at times but I wont stop until I can not go any further.

It's great to be alive, beats the alternatives...
Wake up every morning also feeling like crap. I could take meds that could help change things but I do not. The body does not always heal itself either. I could have a new shoulder installed and a new wrist installed and surgery on my knees and my eyes and maybe that would help a bit, but as of right now, I will not.

There are times when the alternative is much preferred and I have no problems with that since I believe the alternative is simply an eternal void. So peaceful.

BTW, healthy people are dying young every day. Health does not guarantee longevity.
Old 12-23-14, 01:35 PM
bkaapcke

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 25 Posts
A good ride and a positive attitude have helped me enjoy life a lot. I'm doing O.K. for 66. O.K. until I look at any recent photo. Who is that old fart? bk
Old 12-23-14, 04:23 PM
Oldguyonoldbike

Bikes: Casati Laser, Colnago Tecnos, Ciöcc Exige, Black Mountain Cycles Road

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 78 Posts
I used to commute to work on a small motorcycle. Sometime around age 40, though, I realized I was getting much better at imagining what it would feel like to hit the pavement or a guardrail -- things you just don't think about when you're a teenager or in your twenties. There are a number of age-related realizations like this: I quit smoking when I realized how weak my lungs had become; I drink a lot less since I realized that I don't sleep as well after drinking (not to mention longer recovery times). I also returned to cycling after several years off and now feel much better than I have in years. There are still creeping aches and pains, failing eye-sight and hearing, but I'm much more at ease with myself and I've learned to live better with age, and cycling is a big part of that, of course. Let's call it maturity, though, not "feeling young" or "feeling old."

Last edited by Oldguyonoldbike; 12-24-14 at 07:35 AM.
Old 12-23-14, 06:35 PM
02Giant 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
Originally Posted by OldTryGuy
Wake up every morning also feeling like crap. I could take meds that could help change things but I do not. The body does not always heal itself either. I could have a new shoulder installed and a new wrist installed and surgery on my knees and my eyes and maybe that would help a bit, but as of right now, I will not.

There are times when the alternative is much preferred and I have no problems with that since I believe the alternative is simply an eternal void. So peaceful.

BTW, healthy people are dying young every day. Health does not guarantee longevity.
So true, so true...
Old 12-24-14, 12:12 PM
TCR Rider

Bikes: Pinarello Dogma F8 Giant TCR Advanced 2 Jamis Coda

Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 115 Posts

There are no guaranties in life and it's sure not fair but I still try and live my life like I'm going to live forever. If you keep looking ahead and stop looking back it keeps you more positive and that's half the game right there. Focus on what you can do and let go of what you can't. Besides being fit and active feels a lot better than being fat and out of breath.
Old 12-29-14, 07:26 AM
a77impala
a77impala

Bikes: 04=LeMond Arravee, 08 LeMond Versailles, 92 Trek 970

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
Christmas day the water pump started leaking on my car. Front wheel drive, hadn't changed one ever, my mechanic closed his shop until Jan. 2nd. I gave up car repairs when went to front wheel drive.
Friday I decided I could do the repair myself, two hours later I was done and went for test drive. My wife's comment was the average 70 year olds are not out in the driveway replacing a water pump. Made my day!
I had doubted myself and proved I could still turn a wrench when I had to! Age is relative.
Old 12-29-14, 05:00 PM
Gordy. 1888

Bikes: Bianchi Via Ninron, Bianchi Intenso and Cannondale trail 6 29er 2015

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 1 Post
I am 57 but regularly mistaken for late 40s but don't think I look particularly young. (Not a hair on my head) but think is is more about how I approach things and hold myself. Had a bad accident on my bike on the 1st August and broke my hip still walk with a limp and actually feel older for the first time in my life. But I will change that next year��

Last edited by Gordy. 1888; 12-29-14 at 05:46 PM.
Old 12-29-14, 05:35 PM
Worknomore

Bikes: Serotta CRL, Litespeed Blue Ridge, Bacchetta Ti Aero, Cannondale delta V, 67 Schwinn Sting Ray stick shift.

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Feel old? I'm 60 and my sexy wife is 37. And no I do not have a lot of $$
Old 12-29-14, 06:26 PM
Route 66

Bikes: Spot ACME with Shimano Alfine 11 & Gates Carbon Drive

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 24 Posts
I'm amazed how good I feel at 62. I really expected to have slowed down by now but I don't think that I have. Either that, or I've slowed down at such a gradual pace that I haven't noticed the difference.
Old 12-29-14, 06:59 PM
BigAura

Bikes: all steel stable: surly world troller, paris sport fixed, fuji ss

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by NOS88
An alternative view of the topic:

These kinds of studies are based on a premise that I believe is somewhat faulty and ageist in nature. There is a difference between functional ability, perceived health, and pain or discomfort related to illness/disease and getting old. To equate these with age or that of feeling healthy with youth is a faulty presupposition. Yet, many still persist in holding this as an acceptable truth. Too often these subtle beliefs manifest themselves in negative attitudes toward aging. I try to live by the thought that I am not who I was yesterday or who I will be tomorrow. On any given day I may have more or less of a given ability. I may feel more or less pain and discomfort. Age is not the way I choose to define this phenomenon.
+1

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.