Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Unconsciously Incompetent

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-15, 08:02 PM
DBrown9383

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Being new here to this forum and not having been on a bike since about 1973 I have realized I am unconsciously incompetent about all things bike and bike riding related. This is actually a pretty good place to be. It's better than being consciously incompetent which would tend to impede progress (and keep me from asking dumb questions). I notice there are a lot of people here who have vast knowledge about all things bicycle related but there tends to be two of these groups.There are the consciously competent people who know what they're doing. This group can answer most any question and are up on all the new trends and technical stuff. Then there is the unconsciously competent group. This group tends to answer questions with few words (if at all). They just ride and don't think about it or waste their time arguing about the finer points of being fast or what the best bike is. etc. I hope to some day be in this last group but it could take years. Please bear with me as I progress along the path of better fitness, being outside and learning to be a good rider. Your patience is appreciated. I'm really having fun reading through all the forums here and soaking up knowledge.
Old 04-23-15, 08:10 PM
tg16

Bikes: Bianchi Impulso, Raleigh Record Ace, Kestrel 200SCI, Jamis Xenith T2

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Don't underestimate yourself.
Old 04-23-15, 08:12 PM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked 228 Times in 138 Posts
Ride a lot, learn to do your own maintenance, and you'll be there in no time.

I'm firmly in the second group, if for no other reason, I try not to intellectualize my recreational activities more than necessary since I retired from ski instructing.

Last edited by Wileyrat; 04-23-15 at 08:16 PM.
Old 04-23-15, 08:12 PM
desconhecido 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 107 Posts
Sounds like a Donald Rumsfeld approach to competence. The Rumsfeld once had this to say about knowledge, "But there are also unknown unknowns – the ones we don't know we don't know. And if one looks throughout the history of our country and other free countries, it is the latter category that tend to be the difficult ones.[" As opposed to the known unknowns: things that we know we don't know.
Old 04-23-15, 08:20 PM
DBrown9383

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ha.. agreed.. I taught in Vail for 8 years during the late 70's-early 80's.. The whole ski school system actually hindered my skiing ability. Too many clinics and technical mumbo jumbo got me thinking about what I was doing too much. The best skiers never actually think about what they are doing (if you have to think about what you're going to do in a turn, it's already too late) I would think the same would apply for cyclists.
Old 04-23-15, 08:35 PM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked 228 Times in 138 Posts
Originally Posted by DBrown9383
Ha.. agreed.. I taught in Vail for 8 years during the late 70's-early 80's.. The whole ski school system actually hindered my skiing ability. Too many clinics and technical mumbo jumbo got me thinking about what I was doing too much. The best skiers never actually think about what they are doing (if you have to think about what you're going to do in a turn, it's already too late) I would think the same would apply for cyclists.
I taught at a local area 1 1/2 hrs outside of Seattle (late 80's to mid 90's), and 8 yrs must be the fish or cut bait point, since that's how long I lasted.
Old 04-23-15, 08:45 PM
DBrown9383

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Vail ski school was like the Gestapo back then. You had to teach in a very prescribed way. It took a lot of fun out of it for us AND the students. Oh well, that was a long time ago, hopefully things are different now. I prefer to ride my new bike unencumbered by thinking about it .

Last edited by DBrown9383; 04-23-15 at 08:50 PM.
Old 04-23-15, 10:37 PM
md11mx

Bikes: Devinci Oslo

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
DBrown9383 if you happened to know the cross country Olympiad and coach Tom Besh he was inducted into our hall of fame tonight. Here's a link to my local paper. 13 to be enshrined Thursday in Alaska cross country ski hall of fame | Alaska Dispatch News.
Cheers,
David in Alaska
Old 04-23-15, 10:49 PM
DBrown9383

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry, I didn't know him. I was strictly alpine
Old 04-23-15, 11:28 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
I think it is a lot like flying or skiing ; you have to practice being consciously competent a lot to become unconsciously competent. As my Judo sensei said, "do a move correctly 1000 times and it is yours". Of course, you can do it wrong enough times and it will also be yours.

Last edited by Doug64; 04-23-15 at 11:31 PM.
Old 04-24-15, 05:05 AM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Cyclists love to make things more complicated than they are.
Old 04-24-15, 05:58 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
I've read many of your first few posts, I didn't see any "stupid" questions in them. If you are afraid to ask about what you don't know, or think that you know everything, trouble is headed straight at you. Most of the folks here are helpful and very supportive as well as encouraging. When I have had some problems the members of the 50+ group have mainly tried to offer me good advice, and kind thoughts. Every group has the few that want to show just how smart they think that they are, usually those guys end up showing us how dumb, and thoughtless they are.

Glad to have you join in here in the 50+ asylum, you'll find that your ski experience, and instructor skills, are transferable to cycling in many ways. understanding that there is a learning curve to each sport helps you out. Enjoy the rides and all the smiles that they generate.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 04-24-15, 05:58 AM
BigAura

Bikes: all steel stable: surly world troller, paris sport fixed, fuji ss

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by OldsCOOL
The simplicity of the bicycle and bicycle riding means there really isn't that much to talk about, so that leaves nuance.
Old 04-24-15, 06:34 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
That was somehow Zen-like. I think maybe unconsciously-incompetent may not be something to strive against, at least while biking.
Old 04-24-15, 08:05 AM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

I ride alone and on the fogline to deliberately lose my mind. But, somehow I find it near the curb at home.
Old 04-24-15, 08:33 AM
aubiecat

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Being new here to this forum and not having been on a bike since about 1973 I have realized I am unconsciously incompetent about all things bike and bike riding related. This is actually a pretty good place to be. It's better than being consciously incompetent which would tend to impede progress (and keep me from asking dumb questions). I notice there are a lot of people here who have vast knowledge about all things bicycle related but there tends to be two of these groups.There are the consciously competent people who know what they're doing. This group can answer most any question and are up on all the new trends and technical stuff. Then there is the unconsciously competent group. This group tends to answer questions with few words (if at all). They just ride and don't think about it or waste their time arguing about the finer points of being fast or what the best bike is. etc. I hope to some day be in this last group but it could take years. Please bear with me as I progress along the path of better fitness, being outside and learning to be a good rider. Your patience is appreciated. I'm really having fun reading through all the forums here and soaking up knowledge.
Your thorough understanding of the mindsets within the forum/cycling world leads me to believe it won't take long for you to be firmly entrenched in the last group. That is a good thing.
Old 04-24-15, 09:32 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts
I was like you when I first found this site. It is priceless! Thank you all!
Old 04-24-15, 01:31 PM
RideMyWheel

Bikes: 2014 Felt Z100, 1987 Schwinn Sierra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tg16
Don't underestimate yourself.
I'm right there with you. Only started this a year ago. I've come SO far yet still could go so much farther. Just keep pedaling.

Thinking about the cyclist I was in 1975, and then when I took it up again in 1989: I thought that I knew a lot of stuff back then, and I thought that I was good, but I've discovered only recently that I knew nothing.

I didn't have the internet to teach me how to adjust derailleurs, or properly identify and lube trouble spots.

There was no YouTube to teach me how to stretch after a ride, so a lot of times I just laid around until I stopped hurting.

Bikeforums.net didn't exist, either. I had no place to ask stupid questions, get a handful of snarky answers, an occasional good-natured ribbing, and several sincerely helpful, thoughtful replies.

At age 50, I have become twice the cyclist I was at 25. At 51 I might even become twice the cyclist I was at 50. You can too.
Old 04-26-15, 07:43 AM
Dudelsack 

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
Being a cyclist involves riding a bicycle. Once you can do that, you're a member of the club.

Old 04-26-15, 07:50 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
Your just smarting because my steel bike is stronger, better, etc. than the carbon fiber frames or TI frames or AL frames or Bamboo frames although AL w/CF fork and rear is pretty good but TI w/CF might not be bad and then there's........but on to the best saddles or pedals or .........then there's bibs vs. shorts......but none of it really matters because I found a way to lose weight while gaining power if you just use this training program.......
Old 04-26-15, 09:13 AM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
We must be related - as I'm consciously incompetent...................
Old 04-26-15, 10:28 AM
OldsCOOL

Originally Posted by bruce19
Your just smarting because my steel bike is stronger, better, etc. than the carbon fiber frames or TI frames or AL frames or Bamboo frames although AL w/CF fork and rear is pretty good but TI w/CF might not be bad and then there's........but on to the best saddles or pedals or .........then there's bibs vs. shorts......but none of it really matters because I found a way to lose weight while gaining power if you just use this training program.......
No, it's because I use wax on my chains....
Old 04-26-15, 01:30 PM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 918 Post(s)
Liked 1,152 Times in 491 Posts
I have realized I am unconsciously incompetent about all things bike and bike riding related. This is actually a pretty good place to be. It's better than being consciously incompetent
Unskilled and unaware of it.
Old 04-26-15, 02:54 PM
nkfrench 

Bikes: 2006 Specialized Ruby Pro aka "Rhubarb" / and a backup road bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 4 Posts
If I don't have a competent answer to a question, I can always make something up.

I attended a 2-day workshop on safe and effective cycling (CyclingSavvy). They cover a lot of things to be "street smart" as a cyclist that I didn't find intuitive.

Last edited by nkfrench; 04-30-15 at 06:55 PM.
Old 04-26-15, 04:51 PM
takenreasy

Bikes: ’83 Bianchi Special ’96 Specialized Stump Jumper Comp ’09 Gary Fisher Paragon ’09 Surly Cross Check ’11 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by BigAura
The simplicity of the bicycle and bicycle riding means there really isn't that much to talk about, so that leaves nuance.
This is bicycling in a nutshell.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.