Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Getting "dissed" while riding

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Getting "dissed" while riding

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-15, 10:41 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
Originally Posted by B. Carfree
You do know that one need not put a foot down to make a legal stop, don't you? Would you expect motorists to open their doors and put their feet on the ground at stop signs? A complete cessation of forward travel, behind the limit line, is all that is required.

Yes, I know that, but was not clear why I decided to use the foot down stop instead of a track stand. Putting my foot down lets the drivers know that I am really serious about stopping. It seems like it reduces the amount of confusion with motorists trying to wave me through when they have the right of way.

Yah, calling Eugene a "bike town" was a bit of a stretch

Last edited by Doug64; 04-26-15 at 10:55 PM.
Old 04-27-15, 08:32 AM
flan48

Bikes: Cannondale Quick 2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by DBrown9383
I used the term "rednecks" loosely.. I've seen "rednecks" on bicycles but it's usually only because they got a DUI and that's the only way they can get around. I guess a better term would have been "low lifes". It seems to me the lower socio economic groups are the typical offenders, either that or people just don't like seeing others having a good time. I rode on the shoulder of a state road here in northern MI for 10mi. today. Frankly it scared the crap out of me even though there is a very generous shoulder. One texting teenager or one drunk driver and it's game over. I can handle a slurpie chucked out a window at me but I didn't enjoy hearing vehicles coming up from behind at 70mph. I don't think I can "get used" to that so I'm going to have to take the bikes to bike paths to have peace of mind. You guys that mingle with vehicular traffic must have a different mind set than I do.
After almost getting creamed by a full-sized SUV this past December (totally my fault by the way), and very badly re-injuring my right hamstring, I decided, with much prodding by my family, that I had many other options and bike paths on which to ride. As such, except for very short, 1/4 mile or less, quiet streets/roads, I stay off venues where there is vehicular traffic.

I have to admit that although there is one back road route that I miss, I've been very happy just being on the bike, and riding both safety and worry-free.

Best regards
Old 04-27-15, 09:17 AM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1245 Post(s)
Liked 1,273 Times in 704 Posts
Originally Posted by DBrown9383
Funny I don't remember ever being disrespected while riding a bike as a kid or teenager.
Really? Happened to me all the time.
Old 04-27-15, 09:21 AM
obed7

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.2, Ridley Xfire, Giant Propel, KHS AeroComp

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1648 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Well, I own 3 pickup trucks (only one diesel 3/4 ton 4 wheel drive with lift kit), and ride a bicycle daily...not sure exactly what I would be classified as, but then again, don't much give a damn either...I enjoy my trucks and my bicycles, don't much care what other folks do...or say as they speed by....
Old 04-27-15, 09:24 AM
Tony Marley

Bikes: Catrike 700; Bike Friday Llama single; Bike Friday Tandem Tuesday; Easy Racers Ti-Rush recumbent; Catrike Expedition; Rans Seavo tandem

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 29 Posts
The few times folks have yelled negative comments and/or thrown an object, I was between towns touring with a fully loaded bike. In Delaware, on a wide road with a wide shoulder (which we were on), teenage boys in a pickup threw a soft drink bottle at my daughter and me on a tandem. Fortunately, they missed.

On another tour, up in South Dakota, some drunks in a car yelled obscenities at my colleague and me, but that was the last we saw of them.

More often, I have had folks slow down, or even stop, to say nice things about my two daughters and me on the triplet, or to ask about the recumbent. Interestingly, the folks that seem to "dis" me/us whether on the triplet or 'bent are the "serious" road bike riders (wannabe racers), who, I guess, feel that I am / we are not serious enough.
Old 04-27-15, 09:39 AM
DBrown9383

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Where ever the disrespect, hurled objects, profanity etc. comes from I just have a hard time understanding it. Is it because they are in a vehicle (car OR truck) that can go faster than the bike? Do these people not like seeing others having a good time or being fit? Is it the "loud" clothing a lot of cyclists wear? It's pretty sad when people feel they need to harass cyclists just because they can. Go harass something that has a cause behind it. BTW I have a full size pickup too. Around these parts if you're going to see lowlifes, more often than not they are in a pickup. I have no idea why this is, I can only guess that somehow, owning and driving a pick up gets you in the good ole boys club, driving a Prius does not

Last edited by DBrown9383; 04-27-15 at 09:43 AM.
Old 04-27-15, 09:51 AM
kevmk81

Bikes: Trek Allant 9.9s

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If you're riding through town, maybe use this as a sprint interval to catch up to them for a talk at the next light. I've done this quite a few times. When the people calling me names realize they get to see me again at the light, their attitudes usually change. Sometimes with a rolling up of the windows, other times with a good debate on road usage. It's real fun when I tell them they are on camera. Even though I can't 'get them' for anything, the look on their faces is usually priceless. Especially when it's an adult, with their teenagers that have slung the verbal assaults. Last time I caught up to one of them was last week. I asked them what they said back about a mile ago. They said 'nu uh we didn't say anything to you', not looking at me in the eyes. Then I said, 'you sure? well, we will let the video decide that'. They drove off and turned off of some side road. I don't think they wanted to continue the conversation at the next light. Just idiots doing stupid things. I've got a growing video file of people throwing items, insults, dangerous passes, etc... I'd say at least 5 out of 20 times I catch up to them at some point.
Old 04-27-15, 09:53 AM
kevmk81

Bikes: Trek Allant 9.9s

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It's even more annoying when it's pouring rain or falling snow. It's like people don't like seeing others biking in bad weather. It's a hit on their excuses to not lead an active lifestyle, and lowers their self esteem even more.
Old 04-27-15, 10:19 AM
osco53
Old Fart In Training

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by pbass
The main reason I gave up road riding and only mountain bike now. I'd rather have a run-in with a tree than an Escalade going 50mph on a residential street, which is how they drive where I live. Was never verbally dissed but have been spit at, and then there were always those cars (usually a blinged out Mercedes paid for by mommy and daddy) full of teenagers who seemed to think it was fun to buzz the geezer on the bike within an inch of running him off the road. We have the "3 feet law" now here in CA, but apparently only the cyclists know about it.
I ride my bent on the paved mups we have locally. No exhaust fumes...

I ride my Mountain bike on the many single track trail systems we have locally. No exhaust fumes,,,
The tree's do jump out and hit me now and then but I usually see them coming and tuck, or at mtb speeds I can miss them entirely, usually,, well sometimes

I carry My folder with me to work and get In a short ride around a local park now and then..

You can have your bike lanes and 5,000 pound missles being piloted my texting careless fools..

Roadie gets killed, Dummy driving the car makes up an excuse, and gets to drive another day....

I choose to stay alive,
besides breathing real hard near max heart rate in the tunnel most roads form between homes buildings and trees
where many many cars roam constantly pumping poisons out Is not a very healthy way to breathe...
Old 04-27-15, 10:31 AM
DBrown9383

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Frankly I'm scared to death riding the generous shoulder of the state road that is the only way out of our development. It's a very busy road with a 45mph speed limit but most are going 60+mph. We do take the bikes to destinations for bike path riding but I've lately been feeling the need to ride every day or at least every other day and the only way to get my fix is to risk riding the shoulder of the state road. I need to ride that road for a mile before I get to a far less travelled county road that still has a good paved shoulder. My neighbor thinks I have a suicide wish and says he'd NEVER ride the shoulder of the state road.
Old 04-27-15, 07:25 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
I ride along state and US (US 29) highways every day, no problems with this if you pay attention to what you are doing. these both have good well maintained bicycle lanes that I find easy to use. If you are really uncomfortable, then stay off of them, by all means. Riding where you are very nervous doesn't accomplish much. Not every one is scarred of them, however, and most of us are very much alive, last time I checked.

If the MUP or mtb/trails suits you best, then get the bicycle, and equipment, that you need, and enjoy every minute of your riding. Spending time putting other's riding choices down is pretty juvenile, and counter-productive, time better spent riding, IMHO.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Last edited by qcpmsame; 04-27-15 at 07:28 PM.
Old 04-27-15, 08:43 PM
ModeratedUser150120149

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
As this thread has progressed I've looked back over my relatively brief cycling "career". I'm not counting the knock about the neighborhood riding as a kid.

The result is that I can't remember any more rectal orifice encounters on the bike than in a motor vehicle. In the ambulance I've had people ignore the lights and siren, race me, cut me off and countless other things. In the car or truck it is pretty routine for people to duck around from behind to in front to make an immediate right turn. Depending on the community deliberately attempting to cause a collision is pretty common.

But I've only had one serious personal injury. That was when another bike hit me head on. We made eye contact and he kept it until we coillided.

Bottom line: For me rectal orifices are such no matter the transportation mode. A person can drive/ride defensively. But sooner or later someone is very likely to get hurt. So, don't even think of the small stuff. It just wastes energy that could be used staying alive.
Old 04-27-15, 10:26 PM
DBrown9383

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by qcpmsame
I ride along state and US (US 29) highways every day, no problems with this if you pay attention to what you are doing. these both have good well maintained bicycle lanes that I find easy to use. If you are really uncomfortable, then stay off of them, by all means. Riding where you are very nervous doesn't accomplish much. Not every one is scarred of them, however, and most of us are very much alive, last time I checked.

If the MUP or mtb/trails suits you best, then get the bicycle, and equipment, that you need, and enjoy every minute of your riding. Spending time putting other's riding choices down is pretty juvenile, and counter-productive, time better spent riding, IMHO.

Bill
... I didn't think I was putting down anyone's riding choices? I admire those that have the courage to ride on the shoulder of busy state roads. I don't have the nerve, at least not yet
Old 04-28-15, 05:50 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Not you, DBrown, that is directed at those that like to berate other's choices. You are seeming to be a good contributor here, you have lots of good questions, that need to be answered, when someone is getting back into riding, at our ages. I should have been clearer, but personal attacks are a bannable (sp?) offense.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 04-28-15, 06:12 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
I suffer the most regular, routine abuse on what was formerly a country road that now conveys upper middle class commuters to and from their bedroom communities on the outskirts of northern VA-DC sprawl. They're lined up on one side of the road, shouting at me that I should be riding on the paved path with the other recreationalists. I prefer the road.

Shouts each time I ride this road now. It's sad. I suppose one day I'll be run off this road and killed... Oh well.
Old 04-28-15, 07:11 AM
locolobo13 

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked 2,633 Times in 944 Posts
Originally Posted by Doug64
Yes, I know that, but was not clear why I decided to use the foot down stop instead of a track stand. Putting my foot down lets the drivers know that I am really serious about stopping. It seems like it reduces the amount of confusion with motorists trying to wave me through when they have the right of way.

Yah, calling Eugene a "bike town" was a bit of a stretch
I started doing this a long time ago as well. Don't actually put my foot on the ground unless I have to stop. Often when they see my foot off the pedal, hovering above the ground, the car having the right of way will go on. This speeds up the process instead of waving at each other like the 2 toon gophers;

"Please, you go first."
"Oh no, you first."...
Old 04-28-15, 07:26 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
As with most anything people are engaged in, there will be the 2% of malcontents, the anti social types that hate everything and everybody. Life is easier if you try to pay no attention to them if you can.
Old 04-28-15, 08:39 AM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Quoted: 1245 Post(s)
Liked 1,273 Times in 704 Posts
Originally Posted by kevmk81
It's even more annoying when it's pouring rain or falling snow. It's like people don't like seeing others biking in bad weather. It's a hit on their excuses to not lead an active lifestyle, and lowers their self esteem even more.
About 20 years ago when I lived in the Boston area I took my mountain bike out for a ride in the neighborhood during a massive blizzard. Huge fluffy flakes were falling at a ridiculous rate, accumulating at over 2"/hour. It was kinda fun. But practically every driver that passed me felt compelled to roll down their window and yell "Get off the road!" or "You're crazy!" at me.
Old 04-28-15, 08:39 AM
tg16

Bikes: Bianchi Impulso, Raleigh Record Ace, Kestrel 200SCI, Jamis Xenith T2

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by VNA
They are not "RedNecks" they are usually disrespectful intolerant, aggressive, ignorant people/drivers.
Many "RedNecks" are impressed by our sport!
I'm a born and raised redneck who was taught courtesy and respect for all. I believe the people being discussed here are just "good for nothing rude jerks and jerkettes."
Old 04-28-15, 10:48 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked 1,974 Times in 565 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
I have to disagree with you here, although when I toured in the south, stuff was hurled at me by those who appeared to be on the lower end of the economic scale.
Around southern California the typical person who throws things, insults, or displays road rage toward cyclists seems to be middle class (or above) white punks, sometimes in $50k trucks, sometimes any other car. A lady friend of mine was hit with a Slurpee by 2 idiots in a BMW who then ducked into their private school where another friend saw them go and had them arrested. I figure Mommy took the Bimmer away for a couple days.
It was a doctor who was busted out here for brake-checking two cyclists with his Benz, he got some jail time for it, too.
Sick, sadistic bastards come from all socio economic backgrounds.
Yea, we've chatted about this, eh? I think it's all pretty much bullying behavior, ultimately rooted in the perpetrator's insecurities/frustrations.

For me:

1. The most courteous demographic award goes to the manual laborers heading to work with their lawnmowers and stuff in the back of their beat up pick up truck.

2. The least courteous demographic award goes to the 20-30yo males in their $40K full-sized pickups.

I've noticed an inverse correlation between income and courtesy. I dunno if wealthier people are in more of a hurry, more type-A, more entitled, or what.

Old 04-28-15, 11:10 AM
DBrown9383

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The wealthy are less likely to actually throw things at you or confront you. Sure they may honk the horn or shout something but usually they are cowards and know they'd end up losing in an actual fight. If you say "bring it" to a bunch of rednecks in a truck, you might just get your wish.
Old 04-28-15, 11:30 AM
Digital Gee
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Was I dissed or complimented? The other day a passing motorist (well, actually, the passenger) shouted out his car at me: "Nice bike, you a-hole!" I had to agree... It is a nice bike!

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 04-28-15, 02:53 PM
RideMyWheel

Bikes: 2014 Felt Z100, 1987 Schwinn Sierra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Digital Gee
The other day a passing motorist (well, actually, the passenger) shouted out his car at me: "Nice bike, you a-hole!" I had to agree... It is a nice bike!
200 yards from home last weekend, after one of the best rides of my life, some redneck kid in a 4x4 pickup shouted out of the passenger window, "NICE ASS!" On the same ride I got the diesel black cloud treatment about 20 miles out. It's one thing if you're coasting, quite another if you're climbing and already gasping for every last molecule of o2. If I had video I might've tried to sue, that's a form of assault, IMO. But the GoPRO was left home that day.

In 1987 I narrowly missed being hit by a half-full beer can spinning and sailing past my head. Got lots o' suds though. This was before I wore a helmet, so it was kind of nice to cool down a little.

199/200 vehicles give me more than enough room when they pass, they're courteous, and a couple even wave. Most rides are uneventful. Sometimes weeks go by without a close call. We always remember the idiots.
Old 05-01-15, 07:51 AM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Regular Boston suburban commuter here. I'm fortunate enough to have some good bike paths and trails to commute on. I do however have some side roads to ride on as well. Rudeness abounds , I try hard to ignore. Sometimes I wave, other times I may say, " Jesus loves you" It catches them off guard I hope. My mirror helps a lot. I had one car driver, sitting in stopped traffic shout" Get a car" I turned around told him that it only takes 15 minutes more to pedal home the 18 miles than it does to drive. I pedaled away, leaving him to his thoughts, stopped in traffic. Go figure.
Old 05-01-15, 08:30 AM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by badger1
+1 I make my living (teaching and administration) at a very large university. Common sense -- even common decency -- is not a given among the 'educated classes' or 'higher socio-economic groups'. Far, far from it.

Further, my experience suggests that poor/aggressive/dangerous driving behaviour correlates (if it correlates with anything specific) with 'luxury class vehicles' (car or SUV/pick-up) just as readily as it does with other vehicles.

Quite a bit of arrogance in some of the responses here.
I agree with this. Being a jerk has a lot to do with the person and has little to do with economics.

Some time ago, I had some high school kids drive by and throw a hand full of change in my face. Fortunately I was wearing glasses or the results could have been a disaster. My daughter, then a high school senior, happened to be at school that day when some kids were bragging about doing this to cyclists in general. She promptly tore into them over their behavior. My understanding is that when junior boys are called out by senior girls, social standing is seriously impacted. I loved it. Karma.

J.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.