Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

2016 - Race Results

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-16, 11:51 PM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
San Jose Bike Club "twilight crit" - won field sprint. Attacked a million times; only got away for a few (2-mile) laps.

Kid who showed up late/skipped the first lap was otf, didn't realize it, so I guess I was 2nd.

Oh well, got a t-shirt anyway. Good training!

my race videos
Old 05-11-16, 11:46 AM
tetonrider

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dz_nuzz
Bear Mountain P12

Dissapointed in myself. Did fine, up until two guys got up the road and I tried to unsuccessfully bridge. Got to the point where I had a over a minute gap on the field and was within a minute of them. But I couldn't keep myself going at the pace. Got caught by the field and shot out the back when we hit the hill the next time. The real killer part was that I put in a decent chase, and almost made it back to the pack but they accelerated again when I had them in sight and it was over.

Really should have played it more conservatively. But that just isn't what I do, my approach is to gamble big in the races. But sometimes it really sucks when you lose your hand.
sounds like a solid effort. hard to be disappointed in yourself (objectively) when you didi all you could to bridge but failed. sometimes other riders are just better. at least you gave it a shot. in fact, i think the fact that you could not catch back onto the pack is a GOOD sign. it means that your chase was not a 90% effort--you gave it all you had.

in big races with strong fields, taking some risk is the only way to win, right?
Old 05-11-16, 12:36 PM
dz_nuzz
Rides too much bike

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tetonrider
sounds like a solid effort. hard to be disappointed in yourself (objectively) when you didi all you could to bridge but failed. sometimes other riders are just better. at least you gave it a shot. in fact, i think the fact that you could not catch back onto the pack is a GOOD sign. it means that your chase was not a 90% effort--you gave it all you had.

in big races with strong fields, taking some risk is the only way to win, right?

I think that for me I always look back and end up saying "I could have pushed just a bit more", whether that is true or not is always hard to know after the fact. It also played out the way I thought it might, total attrition, which is my specialty. I could have just sat in until everyone was dead at mile 80, and then took off.
Old 05-11-16, 12:42 PM
tetonrider

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think that for me I always look back and end up saying "I could have pushed just a bit more", whether that is true or not is always hard to know after the fact. It also played out the way I thought it might, total attrition, which is my specialty. I could have just sat in until everyone was dead at mile 80, and then took off.
even from 1000s of miles away, it is obvious that you are tough as nails. my guess is if you pressed pause during any of those efforts, you would have said you could not push more at the time.

sure, you can sit in and wait, but that is not how you prefer to race. if the break stuck, you would then be pissed at the end and probably feel (correctly) that you could have ridden harder on the day.

your way won't always produce results -- the fields you race are too strong to guarantee anything -- but it will leave you satisfied that you at least tried something. now, if you were a field sprinter, then of course you sit in and wait, wait, wait.

as an aside:
the parking lot scene post-TT is always funny. 90% of dudes are talking about how they could have ridden harder. i've always wanted to do a video where you interview them after the fact, then superimpose their talking head on a photo of them at a key part in the race where their tongue is hanging out of their mouth, sweat dripping, totally gassed. "yeah, i could have gone harder."
Old 05-11-16, 12:46 PM
globecanvas
Ninny

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The memory of pain obviously fades after the fact. Otherwise we would all be only children.
Old 05-11-16, 02:28 PM
TexMac

Bikes: Ridley Noah fast, Colnago CLX,Giant Propel Advanced, Pinnerello Gogma 65.1, Specialized S-works Venge, CAADX,Cervelo S3

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mattm
San Jose Bike Club "twilight crit" - won field sprint. Attacked a million times; only got away for a few (2-mile) laps.

Kid who showed up late/skipped the first lap was otf, didn't realize it, so I guess I was 2nd.

Congrats! you are having a great season so far
Old 05-11-16, 04:30 PM
mattm
**** that

I always joke after every race that I should have "pedaled harder" - which while true, is usually not possible.

my race videos
Old 05-11-16, 04:33 PM
mattm
**** that

Originally Posted by TexMac
Congrats! you are having a great season so far
Thanks!

my race videos
Old 05-12-16, 07:36 AM
dz_nuzz
Rides too much bike

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
my guess is if you pressed pause during any of those efforts, you would have said you could not push more at the time.

sure, you can sit in and wait, but that is not how you prefer to race. if the break stuck, you would then be pissed at the end and probably feel (correctly) that you could have ridden harder on the day.

as an aside:
the parking lot scene post-TT is always funny. 90% of dudes are talking about how they could have ridden harder. i've always wanted to do a video where you interview them after the fact, then superimpose their talking head on a photo of them at a key part in the race where their tongue is hanging out of their mouth, sweat dripping, totally gassed. "yeah, i could have gone harder."
Your not a wise and experienced racer at all? Are you?

And hey! Don't go trying to inflate my ego! I don't need any extra weight going up that climb!
Old 05-12-16, 07:46 AM
globecanvas
Ninny

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
if you pressed pause during any of those efforts

You can do that?!!?
Old 05-12-16, 10:15 AM
Hida Yanra
VeloSIRraptor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
"Not Last"

swallowed my pride, pinned on a number and did a mid-week TT.
7.5 mile uphill TT - non-aero class.

No real setup- did 1.5 miles easy-to-medium warmup getting to the start line -
then heard the guy say, "racer on your mark" and I was a bike racer again.
holy smokes that hurt.

also, hi everybody - a brief glance seems like most of the same faces are still around?
Old 05-12-16, 10:22 AM
grolby

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by Hida Yanra
"Not Last"

holy smokes that hurt.

also, hi everybody - a brief glance seems like most of the same faces are still around?
Nice!
Old 05-12-16, 10:51 AM
mattm
**** that

"Not Last"

holy smokes that hurt.

Welcome back!

my race videos
Old 05-12-16, 12:16 PM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
"Not Last"

holy smokes that hurt.

I just saw your name and thought, wow, has he been around and I just missed it?

Uphill = not much aero necessary?
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 05-12-16, 12:34 PM
Hida Yanra
VeloSIRraptor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by carpediemracing
I just saw your name and thought, wow, has he been around and I just missed it?

Uphill = not much aero necessary?
ha- no, sadly- I haven't been around much since... 2013 or so? This was my second bike ride of the year.... life choices being what they are.
'13 was my last year of racing, and I didn't even do much road racing that year other than collegiate omniums.

the uphill isn't that bad - course averages 3-4% on the way up - aero would 100% be choice, but no aero 'cause I sold it all off over the last few years for life expenses.
Old 05-12-16, 02:59 PM
echappist
fuggitivo solitario

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
welcome back!
Old 05-12-16, 03:56 PM
Andy STi

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"Not Last"

holy smokes that hurt.

Nice job!

That was so hard. So cool that we have this to do.
Old 05-12-16, 07:48 PM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by mattm

Don't listen to anything I say. Keep doing what you're doing
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 05-13-16, 12:29 AM
aaronmcd

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Marin Gestalt X11

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 45 Posts
Ha I always think I could have pushed harder. Funny thing is, I know sometimes I can push harder than other times. Makes it tough to work out after the fact.

My last road race, trying to bridge to what looked like the winning 2 man move. Went very,, very hard. Burned a few matches. Came within seconds. Couldn't close it. Chasing pack came by, not too windy or hilly and on form so held on and even contributed to chase. Contributed here and there, took off early for sprint to catch them. Passed one, but lost the sprint to a few. Missed cat 2 upgrade by one point. Half wheel behind second guy in break. Knew if I had caught the break we would probably have stayed away.

Same thing has happened before, caught close to the line, missed the break by seconds. Too many times. I'd have 45 points instead of 29 if a few miniscule differences happened. And after every race, maybe I could have gone a tad harder at x crucial time. But I couldnt. I would have if I could, I know that. Just gotta trust that I wasn't just being lazy. If I start being lazy it's probably time to quit bike racing.
Old 05-13-16, 05:37 AM
shovelhd

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great start to the season, mattm.

Nice to have you back Ian.

Aaron, you'll get your upgrade. You may be focusing on it too much. It will come. Focus on racing. What I read in your comments is that you don't know how hard you can go for how long. You have almost enough but not enough. You can try and train this capability up, or you can ride smarter, within your capabilities. If you had launched that bridge attempt 60 seconds earlier, would you have made the catch? You have to know these kinds of things. If you do, then maybe it's a confidence issue, with the same root cause. Start thinking about refining this capability now, before you upgrade. You can't race like a bull in a china shop in P/1/2, they'll eat you alive.
Old 05-13-16, 05:53 AM
globecanvas
Ninny

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Right at the end of an especially hard race I will sometimes think, try to remember how utterly spent I am at this moment, for later when I start thinking "I should have just gone faster." If I forget to sort of stamp the exhaustion level into my memory immediately after the finish, the recriminations usually start by the time I'm done with the cooldown lap.

Twice in recent memory I was so spent after the finish that I literally rode off the course into the grass. I find that helps to impress the pain into the medium-term memory. The other day I was away for the final lap with some 29 year old hotshot and after the finish I wobbled off into the grass and he was afraid I has going to have some type of old man health crisis. It was pretty clear I couldn't have gone faster.
Old 05-13-16, 06:01 AM
island rider

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We are hard wired for that. It's why I keep thinking basic training would be a fun thing to repeat, or repeating law school would be a good break from real life. It's also the only reason any woman ever had more than one child, or any husband for that matter.
Old 05-14-16, 01:19 PM
mike868y

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
ccns kermis cat 3/4 - 10th
a break rolled and stayed away, i'm still bitter as it was a counter to my attack. so it goes i guess. had really good positioning coming into the field sprint and felt like i was coming into it with good momentum and on a good wheel, but i way overgeared myself. i really need to work on the mechanics of sprinting. my instinct is always to slam it into a harder gear then jump whereas I think it's better to jump and then shift into a higher gear as you sprint? i feel like this is a totally novice question.

also jumped in the 123 and felt surprisingly good. found myself in the top 10 wheels or so and was all types of excited so i took a couple turns on the front. which was dumb as there was no way the break was coming back (i had a teammate in the group), then my efforts hurt me and suddenly i was last wheel. then the guy in front of me got gapped off and that was the end of my race. i was cooked, though. next time need to work on maintaining good position while not blowing myself up.
Old 05-14-16, 02:13 PM
mattm
**** that

I like to slam it in a big gear then sprint, sit, shift up and sprint again. But it doesn't always work, and every sprint is different. I don't think there's a right answer; mostly depends on your racing style. Nice racing btw.

my race videos
Old 05-14-16, 03:48 PM
crazyarm07

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
BHB Backyard Crit 4/5 - Crashed. About a 1/4 mile in. So that was a short day. Only casualties were my front wheel and my pride, so it's not so bad.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.