Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Ride it like a mountain bike...

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-19, 11:15 AM
RockiesDad

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 17 Posts

I've been practicing some of these skills on easy single track trails. Fun as heck...

https://gravelcyclist.com/videos/hin...andre-perrett/
Old 08-30-19, 03:06 PM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
I love doing that, especially with a fat front tire. Flow trails are incredibly fast and the bike climbs like a mountain goat. There's no comparison between climbing on a slack 30 lb mountain bike and a 16-pound gravel bike. If the trail doesn't require suspension I'm all over it with my gravel bike.
Old 08-30-19, 03:31 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I recently did some single track in Tahoe with my son. I had to take the downs easier, but I was flying past him on the climbs!
Old 08-31-19, 07:23 PM
trainsktg

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
This is a timely post. I’m going to put some of this into practice tomorrow.

Keith
Old 08-31-19, 08:15 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,483 Times in 4,185 Posts
I use my gravel bike when I ride the river bottom single track with my kids. It's relatively smooth and very twisty. The geometry works great for that style of riding and speed. Because of how twisty and tight between trees the routes are, I'm pretty sure I ride it faster on my gravel bike.

I have taken it on hilly and rocky singletrack, and while it gets me to the end, it isn't nearly as fun as my mtb. Each time, I really felt it the next day too.

Good thread timing- I am taking it tomorrow morning to ride some river bottom single track with my oldest.
Old 08-31-19, 10:23 PM
gorillimo

Bikes: Surly Cross Check, Specialized Enduro Pro, Lemond Tourmalet

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 192 Times in 94 Posts

Just ride and have fun! It's only a bicycle. ride it!!!......
Likes For gorillimo:
Old 09-01-19, 05:09 AM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked 800 Times in 475 Posts
I come from a mountain biking background, so all of those skills are second nature to me. Most of the organized events in my area include some singletrack trails and some of it can be quite technical to ride on a drop bar bike. I'm always surprised and how unprepared some people are to ride that type of terrain, when the event description clearly described the course.

I think most people make the mistake of setting up their gravel bike to match their road bike. That setup works fine if you only ride smooth gravel roads, but it doesn't work well for riding singletrack trails where you need to be in the drops most of the time.

As a mountain biker, who already has the skills, I still found that I had to set up my bike a bit differently from my road bike, in order to feel comfortable riding technical singletrack trails. I started out by matching my road bike reach and saddle to bar drop and quickly found that it left me in the uncomfortable (and somewhat scary) position of being too low and forward in the drops. This made it very difficult to lift the front wheel and move my weight rearward for obstacles or descending.

After a bit of experimenting, I settled on raising the bars by around 20mm and shortening the stem by the same amount. It felt a little strange at first, but the difference in riding technical singletrack was huge. I was able to easily get my weight back and lift the front end for log overs and no longer felt like I was going to go over the bars on descents.
Likes For dsaul: