Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Triathlon
Reload this Page >

Using bike fit coordinates for a used tri bike?

Notices
Triathlon Swim / Bike / Run your thing? Drop in our new triathlon forum for the latest in training & gear. From beginner to expert, and sprint to ironman.

Old 10-03-19, 07:42 PM
Ericfox

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hey guys,

I am looking to purchase a used tri bike sometime before next spring. Was planning on getting a professional bike fit to get coordinates to help pick a bike.

I'd be looking on Facebook marketplace, eBay, and Craigslist for bikes like Felt b14, Cervelo P2, Trek Speed Concept, Specialized Shiv, etc. around the $1500-2500 range

I wonder - how useful are the bike fit bike coordinates when looking at bikes from year 2012-2016? The guy at the bike shop hinted that they would probably only be able to suggest new model bikes based on the coordinates - but I figured they are just wanting to sell me a new bike. I do understand they probably don't keep too much info on hand for old model bikes...

Are there any archives of past year bike model coordinates online? Anyone else already been down this road and care to share some experience?

Thanks! Eric
Old 10-07-19, 10:09 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Also, consider how adjustable the cockpit is.

I'd suggest logging on to Slowtwitch and searching around and posting up. There's lots of fitters and fit data floating around over there for lots of bikes.

The reason they'll tell you that about new vs. used is for used they'd have to break out a tape measure to conjure up fit coords for a used bike. Or do online sleuthing. I'd assume the spec sheet for a new bike would have the ranges for stack, reach, etc.....

But that's why I said logon to Slowtwitch and bang around for info. Then you can buy used with some more data and confidence. Also, their used kit section is really good since they force you to post so many times to get access. Then, sales are monitored with buyer feedback. So you can lookup a user first or choose a more reputable seller.

Also, wait a week or two. Ironman worlds in Kona is next weekend. People will be unloading a metric crap ton of **** after that race for sure.