Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Grease

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-15, 11:34 AM
markwesti

Bikes: 86' Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Liked 316 Times in 175 Posts
Grease

What is your favorite for loose ball hubs . I bought a set of wheels that spun like butter , so being one who likes to fix things that work perfect . I re greased with Park grease . On disassemble , the old grease had a very thick viscosity , the Park grease I noted was thinner . So all buttoned back up they spun fine . But not as good as before . So whats your favorite flavor ? Thanks , M .

Last edited by markwesti; 11-19-15 at 01:07 PM.
Old 11-19-15, 11:52 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Boat Trailer Wheel Bearing, Aka Marine Grease .. still have some left from the tub I bought decades ago ..

it by definition is very water resistant, since the boat trailer gets submerged to float the boat off.
Old 11-19-15, 12:10 PM
cale

Bikes: Kuota Ksano. Litespeed T5 gravel - brilliant!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I use Finish Line Teflon grease. Lighter weight than axle grease.
Old 11-19-15, 12:13 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Spinning under no-load conditions does not tell you much about the performance of the bearings in actual service; dry bearings will spin fine but will not last very long under load. The amount of grease as well as its viscosity will affect the spin resistance but not enough to make a perceptable difference when actually riding the bike.
Old 11-19-15, 12:29 PM
habilis

Bikes: 90's Bianchi Premio, Raleigh-framed fixed gear, Trek 3500, Centurion hybrid, Dunelt 3-spd, Trek 800

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2167 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Boat Trailer Wheel Bearing, Aka Marine Grease .. still have some left from the tub I bought decades ago ..

it by definition is very water resistant, since the boat trailer gets submerged to float the boat off.
Sounds like a good idea, especially for all-weather riders. It may be the same as expensive water-resistant "faucet grease" sold in plumbing stores.

I'm strictly a fair-weather rider, so I use automotive wheel bearing grease. If a car's loose ball bearings can go 50K-100K without servicing, it should be fine for bike hubs. For what it's worth, after re-packing and zero-play adjustment. the wheels can spin for longer than two minutes after a manual shove.

Last edited by habilis; 11-19-15 at 12:37 PM.
Old 11-19-15, 01:11 PM
Phloom

Bikes: Too many to list here

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by habilis
Sounds like a good idea, especially for all-weather riders. It may be the same as expensive water-resistant "faucet grease" sold in plumbing stores.

I'm strictly a fair-weather rider, so I use automotive wheel bearing grease. If a car's loose ball bearings can go 50K-100K without servicing, it should be fine for bike hubs. For what it's worth, after re-packing and zero-play adjustment. the wheels can spin for longer than two minutes after a manual shove.
I jam pack my hubs with heavy duty marine wheel bearing grease. The axle is covered and the hub is stuffed. My wheels do not spin for two minutes, more like 30 seconds. I can feel the resistance of the grease when I spin the wheel by hand.
Old 11-19-15, 01:52 PM
RoadGuy

Bikes: 89 Schwinn 754, 90 Trek 1100, 93 Trek 2300, 94 Trek 1400 (under construction), 94 Trek 930, 97 Trek 1400

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I use/favor Valvoline Full Synthetic Grease. I did an informal test about 15 years ago, placing dab of about six brands (Phil Wood, Valvoline Synthetic, moly based, Lithium based, etc...) and types of grease onto a piece of cardboard and setting it in the sun in the summer when there was an extended number of days when the temperature exceeded 100F consecutive days. After a month of exposure to light and heat, the only grease that did not change colors or start to break down was the Valvoline Synthetic.

The test was prompted after I bought a tube of premium priced Phil Wood grease (like $10 for a small tube). After servicing the bike's bearings, I put the bike on my roof rack, on a day when the temperature was over 90 degrees. The Phil Wood Grease ran out of all of the bearings and made a mess of the bike and the car's roof, before I even had a chance to ride the bike.

Phil Wood was the grease with the rep when I spent the money on it. Little did I know that the melting point was so low. After the incident with Phil Wood running out of the wheel hubs and bottom bracket, I threw the tube in my tool rollaway, and while the tube was mostly full, in the summer that year, it melted and leaked out of the tube, making a big mess in my rollaway.
Old 11-19-15, 02:00 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Bicycles put pretty low demand on grease, so just about anything will work. I like white lithium based grease just because the color makes it easy to see when it has gotten contaminated. If you ride a lot in sloppy conditions, consider a marine-grade grease to reduce wash-out. Otherwise, whatever's on your work bench should be fine.
Old 11-19-15, 02:04 PM
KLiNCK
Optically Corrected

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Sirrus , 2012 Specialized Roubaix Comp

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 30 Posts
Old 11-19-15, 02:05 PM
nfmisso
Nigel

Bikes: 1980s and 1990s steel: CyclePro, Nishiki, Schwinn, SR, Trek........

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

+++++
Old 11-19-15, 03:44 PM
Bezalel

Bikes: Raleigh Companion, Nashbar Touring, Novara DiVano, Trek FX 7.1, Giant Upland

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another vote for marine grease. But I buy the 3 ounce cartridges for mini grease guns.
Old 11-19-15, 03:49 PM
rmfnla

Bikes: Gilmour road, Curtlo road; both steel (of course)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by cale
I use Finish Line Teflon grease. Lighter weight than axle grease.
Do you mean less viscosity or are you really concerned about how much your grease weighs..?
Old 11-19-15, 04:11 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18375 Post(s)
Liked 4,510 Times in 3,352 Posts
I like the Phil Wood Grease, but I'm looking for cheaper alternatives. I've used white lithium at times. Good stuff. I do like a bit lower viscosity grease.

Originally Posted by markwesti
I bought a set of wheels that spun like butter [...] So all buttoned back up they spun fine . But not as good as before.
Were the cones loose when you bought the wheels? Are you sure you didn't get the cones too tight?

I've wondered if riding a few miles after a lube job would help loosen things up.
Old 11-19-15, 04:38 PM
winston61

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use yamaha marine grease, because it's an outstanding product and also because I have no local bike shop(north Texas, USA). Yamaha is available at any boat store. And I dispense it with a Dualco grease gun. No more greasy fingers.
Old 11-19-15, 05:02 PM
habilis

Bikes: 90's Bianchi Premio, Raleigh-framed fixed gear, Trek 3500, Centurion hybrid, Dunelt 3-spd, Trek 800

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2167 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Phloom
I jam pack my hubs with heavy duty marine wheel bearing grease. The axle is covered and the hub is stuffed. My wheels do not spin for two minutes, more like 30 seconds. I can feel the resistance of the grease when I spin the wheel by hand.
I'd say filling the hub is better for the well-being of the hub. It keeps both water and dirt out, and may continually replace the grease that the balls push out of the races (just a theory, not proven). In your case, the slower unloaded spinning is not a problem at all. I'd do what you're doing if I rode in bad conditions, but i seldom do.
Old 11-19-15, 05:27 PM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
I use Lubriplate EMB (electric motor bearing) grease. It is probably overkill, but it isn't over priced like bike grease. Any automotive bearing grease will be more than enough for our needs.
A properly adjusted hub will have a small amount of play that becomes preload when the QR is closed. How an unloaded wheel bearing feels means absolutely nothing.
Old 11-19-15, 07:45 PM
markwesti

Bikes: 86' Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Liked 316 Times in 175 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
I like the Phil Wood Grease, but I'm looking for cheaper alternatives. I've used white lithium at times. Good stuff. I do like a bit lower viscosity grease.

Were the cones loose when you bought the wheels? Are you sure you didn't get the cones too tight?

I've wondered if riding a few miles after a lube job would help loosen things up.
First off thanks guys for your thoughts on what kind of grease you like ( it's funny know one said Park)
Clifford , cones were adjusted perfect when I bought the wheels and like wise when I put them back together . Like I said "when I put them back together they were fine" they were fine not at all to tight , but they didn't have that butter feel , more like a low viscosity feel .
davidad I hear you about preload and QR , I would like to make a clamp that holds a travel indicator to measure endplay when everything is tight on the bike . I think .001-.002 would be good . Do you think a indicator would be over kill ? Or just go by feel ? Anyhow thanks guys .

Last edited by markwesti; 11-19-15 at 07:54 PM.
Old 11-19-15, 08:29 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
I have heard (read) this story about the Phil Wood grease coming out while bike is on top of car.. in the heat, and I don't buy it. I think it's good grease. People in wetter areas might want a thicker grease. I see no point in completely packing the hubs and axels.. it will slow you down and waste grease. Just use what is required.
Old 11-19-15, 08:48 PM
Rubato

Bikes: 91 Trek franken '81 Schwinn Voyager

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been using boat bearing and white grease on my hubs for years-no problems. At the co-op I just did a couple of coaster brake hubs for xmas/kids bikes and was told I needed to use a grease with higher heat tolerance...? Has anyone had good or bad results based on type of grease in coaster brake hubs?
Old 11-19-15, 08:59 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts

Yes, it's very water resistant as you'll find out when trying to wash off any that gets on your hands.

I ONLY use Marine Grease now.

Cheers
Old 11-19-15, 09:18 PM
Secret Squirrel

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 21 Posts
Superlube from harbor freight with coupons for hubs and speedplay pedals. Used phil wood in the past and got tired of leakage on fast rotating bearings. Recently used dupont krytox on the ceramic bottom bracket cartridge bearings (nice stuff)
Old 11-19-15, 09:32 PM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 581 Times in 409 Posts
Originally Posted by habilis
It may be the same as expensive water-resistant "faucet grease" sold in plumbing stores.
I would be careful with this one. I am not sure what "faucet grease" you are referring to but today most faucets use o-rings which take a silicone lube which lubes the surface of the ring and in some cases slightly expand the ring for a better seal, it is not bearing grease.
Old 11-19-15, 11:14 PM
cale

Bikes: Kuota Ksano. Litespeed T5 gravel - brilliant!

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by rmfnla
Do you mean less viscosity or are you really concerned about how much your grease weighs..?
ROFLMAO No, it's just a tube of grease. But it is lighter in color, slipprier, and less dense than the tube of white lithium grease or my axle grease. The small tubes last me a good five years.
Old 11-20-15, 12:26 AM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Marine bearing grease, they only had a container with about a pint of the stuff, so I imagine it will last a while. There are some parts on the underside of my car that I might coat with grease to slow down rusting.
Old 11-20-15, 12:26 AM
Jamminatrix

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
The big element bike hubs/bottom brackets have to cope with is water and degreasers/solvents (excluding foreign debris like dirt/dust). No high pressure, no extreme heat, etc, like other bearings in the industrial world. Because of this, marine grease for marine trailer bearings will be the 'longest lasting' (at the expense of rolling resistance/wattage due to viscosity).

If you're looking for "cheap", you can buy Mystik JT-6 (MP) at your local Walmart for next to nothing...which is a favorite in marine world and out performs several big name brands on the data sheet.

Last edited by Jamminatrix; 11-20-15 at 12:33 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.