Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Bike and Barge Touring

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Bike and Barge Touring

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-16, 12:00 PM
JimHatfield

Bikes: 2017 Cannondale Adventure 3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bike and Barge Touring

My wife and I and our friends, all in our 70s, have gotten hooked on the bike and barge tours offered on Eurosailtravel.com. We just returned from a six day tour from Venice to Montova. In 2015 we toured from Bruges to Amsterdam and in 2014 up the Mosel from France into Germany.

All three trips were scenic with easy riding and the accommodations on the barges very comfortable with great crews, excellent food, and enjoyable fellow passengers. The price was unbelievable: $1500 US a week for everything - a number that would be hard to beat by booking hotels and eating out along the way.

The bikes provided on all three trips were excellent. Giant-brand the first time, Gudenreit on the second tour, and custom-made models for GiroLibero, the barge owner, on the Italian tour. All the bikes were easy riding step throughs.

We're looking into a tour down the Danube next year! Come on along - it's a great way to see Europe!
Old 09-15-16, 02:22 PM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by JimHatfield
My wife and I and our friends, all in our 70s, have gotten hooked on the bike and barge tours offered on Eurosailtravel.com. We just returned from a six day tour from Venice to Montova. In 2015 we toured from Bruges to Amsterdam and in 2014 up the Mosel from France into Germany.

All three trips were scenic with easy riding and the accommodations on the barges very comfortable with great crews, excellent food, and enjoyable fellow passengers. The price was unbelievable: $1500 US a week for everything - a number that would be hard to beat by booking hotels and eating out along the way.

The bikes provided on all three trips were excellent. Giant-brand the first time, Gudenreit on the second tour, and custom-made models for GiroLibero, the barge owner, on the Italian tour. All the bikes were easy riding step throughs.

We're looking into a tour down the Danube next year! Come on along - it's a great way to see Europe!
It is a great way to tour. My wife and I did a bike barge tour in France in 2010 from Paris to Montargis.
The accommodations were pretty good, the food was excellent, and the crew and guide were awesome.
We did an inn to inn bike tour on the Danube in 2013 from Passau to Vienna. As much as I like the barge tour, I recommend going inn to inn on the Danube. The tour company looked after forwarding our luggage each day, so we didn't have to schlep it along.
Old 09-19-16, 12:08 AM
Jimbosays
Let's Ride!

Bikes: Giant Suede (Comfort cruiser - "The Rocking Chair"); Giant Escape 2 (700mm Hybrid - "The S.U.V."); Specialized Secteur Elite (Road Bike - "The Scooter"); Surly Troll (Touring Bike - "Load Up & Go Anywhere")

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Euro Cycling Fun!

Thanks for sharing info about your bike & barge experiences!

I cycled as part of small group (4 persons) with luggage service through Burgundy in the summer of 2015.

It was a great adventure (even with unseasonably record high summer temps.)

Looking for to another Euro cycle adventure in the spring/summer of 2017.
Old 09-19-16, 05:14 AM
Artmo 

Bikes: '06 Bianchi Pista; '57 Maclean; '10 Scott CR1 Pro; 2005 Trek 2000 Tandem; '09 Comotion Macchiato Tandem; 199? Novara Road; '17 Circe Helios e-tandem:1994 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 61 Posts
Very recently did an Eastern Holland bike and barge tour with CTC.org.uk. Take your own bike, or in our case, tandem. Excellent!
Old 09-19-16, 05:34 AM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
A friend of mine loves France, and has just come back from basing himself and his wife in a rented house for several months. But on a previous trip, he hired a canal boat which meant he and his wife could take his time and/or stay in an interesting location for longer than the paid-for cruises. They aren't cyclists, but the idea is sticking in my mind as one to consider for our next trip to France.