Search
Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Casco Warp Sprint helmets in US

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-17, 07:29 PM
Divebrian

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Casco Warp Sprint helmets in US

Are the casco warp helmets still being produced? The casco website says that have one that is US legal, but no further info on it. Only thing I can find on the net about them is a few places in the UK that have them listed for sale, but then show them as out of stock. Not so wild about the solid construction as I think it may be a bit hot in the Florida heat, but I like the integrated visor. I know of a few aero helmets that have integrated visors, but who wants a big egg on their head in anything but a timed race event?

If Casco is no longer producing the warp, are there any similar products available in the US with an integrated visor and without the long tail of the aero helmets?

Last edited by Divebrian; 01-07-17 at 07:46 PM.
Old 01-07-17, 08:27 PM
taras0000
Lapped 3x

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 20 Posts
Kask Bambino has a short little egg shape. There is also the OGK KABUTO Aero SL Sprint for about $675 if you like to have something exclusive. Special order only, custom made.

Last edited by taras0000; 01-07-17 at 08:31 PM.
Old 01-08-17, 12:22 AM
Baby Puke

Bikes: Marin Stelvio, Pogliaghi SL, Panasonic NJS, Dolan DF4, Intense Pro24 BMX

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 58 Posts
In my experience the Casco visor is really fragile, easy to scratch, and nearly impossible to replace (in terms of finding one, and cost if you do). It looks cool, though.
Old 01-08-17, 03:59 AM
Velocirapture

Bikes: S-1 :-D

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A few other slightly less expensive helmets also come with visors, although they are not sprint-specific they are pegged as "aero", with no tail, such as Giro Air Attack and Bell Star Pro. the Bell is supposed to 'draw air into intake ports' for cooling. I owned one briefly and found it a bit hot for me, but i'm an enduro and live in Africa.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
airattack.jpg (3.5 KB, 205 views)
File Type: jpg
starpro.jpg (4.5 KB, 201 views)
Old 01-08-17, 07:43 AM
Divebrian

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by taras0000
Kask Bambino has a short little egg shape. There is also the OGK KABUTO Aero SL Sprint for about $675 if you like to have something exclusive. Special order only, custom made.
$675 is crazy for a cycling helmet....I'm not fast enough to look cool in it. I would just look like a tool that spent way too much on something I didn't need to. Anyone have experience with the Kask Bambino that can speak to the quality, fit and comfort of it? It's still on the expensive side if you ask me, but it's a lot more reasonable than $675. I'll have to check into the Giro, I use their helmets currently and have found they have the best fit for my bean. Tried a Bell road helmet in the past and it didn't fit so well. I tend to have one of those heads that a lot of helmets have a lot of room on the sides, but tend to press on my forehead.....maybe I was dropped on my side as a baby?
Old 01-08-17, 11:12 AM
Velocirapture

Bikes: S-1 :-D

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Divebrian
I'll have to check into the Giro, I use their helmets currently and have found they have the best fit for my bean. Tried a Bell road helmet in the past and it didn't fit so well. I tend to have one of those heads that a lot of helmets have a lot of room on the sides, but tend to press on my forehead.....maybe I was dropped on my side as a baby?
Then forget about the Bell - I had the same problem in the Star Pro (and many other helmets too - i feel your pain). Giro also currently working for me.
Old 01-08-17, 11:53 AM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
...Not so wild about the solid construction as I think it may be a bit hot in the Florida heat, but I like the integrated visor....
I raced in Atlanta in the Warp and it was oppressively hot.

Also, I think it's been proven that pointy TT hats are faster, if you were looking to use this for time trials.

I would look into some of the other options out there now.

My suggestion: Skateboard/BMX helmet
- They have the same weight and similar aero profile. I weighed a Protec vs a Casco Warp 3 in 2010. Same weight.
- They are legal for use on the track.
- They are rated to survive 3 crashes (Casco and other bike helmets only one).
- They have vents and cost like $60.
- You can have one today from your local skate shop.

There is your inexpensive, vented, easy to find option. The only down side is that you'll have to pick your own sunglasses. Some snowboard helmets have integrated visors like the Casco, but they can be warm.
Old 01-08-17, 12:01 PM
carleton
Elitist

The bike industry is weird. There are plenty of things that, if you only bought them from a bike shop, would cost a fortune. But, if you take a step back, you can get similar (or better things) from elsewhere for less. Things like:

- Cycling socks vs Running socks (or Soccer, Football, Baseball, socks). Soccer socks are great for cold weather training because they come up to your knee.
- Cycling shop tools vs , you know, Tools
- Cycling snacks vs Snacks
- Cycling helmets vs Skate helmets
- Cycling lubricants vs Lubricants

I'm sure there are lots of other examples.

Yes, cycling stuff is generally made to be small, light, and portable. But, on the track, you are never more than 100M from your bag or 300M from your car at all times

Last edited by carleton; 01-08-17 at 01:00 PM.
Old 01-08-17, 02:48 PM
Poppit

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Just started using a Casco Speedairo RS. It's vented and has an integral visor, seems ok so far. It's the same helmet that a lot of the sprinters were using at the 6 day events.
Old 01-08-17, 02:55 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by Velocirapture
A few other slightly less expensive helmets also come with visors, although they are not sprint-specific they are pegged as "aero", with no tail, such as Giro Air Attack and Bell Star Pro. the Bell is supposed to 'draw air into intake ports' for cooling. I owned one briefly and found it a bit hot for me, but i'm an enduro and live in Africa.
I was underwhelmed using the Air Attack compared to a SpeedAiro. The Speedairo has a viso with better coverage, the visor won't rattle off on rough roads, it is better ventilated, and feels better suspended on your head. Sure the Speedairo costs a chunk more, but it is a much better designed lid that is better implemented.

Catch being, you need to be cognizant of racing regs if racing. Casco lids often are not CPSC certified, but EU certified (lower bar of safety)
Old 01-08-17, 04:09 PM
taras0000
Lapped 3x

The Air Attack actually fared quite poorly in this test at Scottsdale's FASTER wind tunnel

Best aero road helmets: tunnel- and road-tested - BikeRadar
Old 01-08-17, 04:13 PM
taras0000
Lapped 3x

Also something to keep in mind when you're cruising the net and looking at Cda numbers.

Easiest thing is just to remember the rule of thumb.

.005 CdA=50gr drag=5 watts=.5sec/km
Old 01-09-17, 04:20 PM
carleton
Elitist

Also, I'm not sold on the fact that an integrated vizor is best.

LA used sunglasses in most of his time trials (from what I noticed). I could be a contractual thing with Oakley. But, maybe it simply didn't matter.

Using your own glasses really opens up your options. Mainly to be able to swap lenses based on if you are racing in the day, night, or indoors.

The key is to pick a set of glasses that has coverage for your peripheral vision and not have part of the frame blocking that part. This is so you can see a person trying to pass you as soon as possible.

Good:

Bad:

Old 01-09-17, 05:29 PM
Godsight

Bikes: Felt TK FRD

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Most of the roadie using glasses with TT helmet do it because of Oakley/other glasses company sponsorship. Any TT that is made with a visor will have worse aero drag without the visor. The Lazer Tardiz is one of the rare tt helmet that is designed for glasses that I can think of. Instead check for helmets that comes with multiple visors.In example the Kask bambino come with a mirrored visor and a clear one, other options are available seperate.
Old 01-09-17, 10:45 PM
Koogar

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
...are there any similar products available in the US with an integrated visor and without the long tail of the aero helmets?
The POC Cerebel is another truncated tail option. But it would definitely be a strong contender in a big egg lookalike competition.

I've found the Giro Aerohead MIPS to be comfortable. The visor is improved over the version on the Air Attack Shield - much less likely to be accidentally dislodged and I haven't had a magnet fall off yet. You have to be okay with looking like a death star gunner walking around with it on, though.
Old 01-12-17, 12:29 PM
Hida Yanra
VeloSIRraptor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Godsight
Any TT that is made with a visor will have worse aero drag without the visor.
testing does not bear this out.
There are helmets that test faster with visors, and some that do not.
Additionally, that's not uniform from individual to individual, I had a helmet that tested faster on me with no visor, but faster on a teammate of mine with the visor.

The only immutable rule of aero: "Testing Rules Everything Around Me"
Old 01-13-17, 06:40 PM
tsto

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like my casco warp. US bought a few years ago. Short tail aero helmets seem to have become the standard for track sprint events and I'll assume the World Cup racers are using them because they test faster. Kask Bambino is popular. The OGK KABUTO Aero SL Sprint appears to be vapor for all but elite and wealthy. I bet you'll see the Catlike Rapide on a number of heads this year. Mine included.
Old 01-14-17, 01:12 AM
Dalai

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by tsto
I'll assume the World Cup racers are using them because they test faster.
More likely wearing the brand who sponsors their federations team.
Old 01-14-17, 04:57 PM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by Dalai
More likely wearing the brand who sponsors their federations team.
+1

He who pays the Piper picks the tune (...and the helmet).