Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

1986 Rockhopper vs 1990ish(?) Hardrock

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-18, 04:57 PM
Buellster

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
1986 Rockhopper vs 1990ish(?) Hardrock

My friend is looking to get a commuter bike and I'm helping her pick something out. She wants an upright riding position and racks and fenders. I immediately thought of C&V mtbs. Some CLing showed me these two options. She is 5" 8'
I'm pretty danm set with A, but she isnt sure. I wanted to ask the experts and get some help. Wether it proves me wrong or right haha

A.1986 specialized rockhopper
Perks are it is ready to go. Has fenders, has road tires, looks quite nice and I read this year that the rockhopper was 2nd from the top.

B.I'm guessing early 90s hardrock
couldnt find much information on this one. My friend really likes the look of it. Would need new tires and a set of fenders. How does it compare to the rockhopper?
Old 10-23-18, 05:31 PM
StarBiker

Bikes: Bianchi Grizzly, Cannondale F700,

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 123 Posts
The lettering is more appealing on the second one. I can't make out the components but the second one looks like it is better quality to me. Crankset might be nicer on the first one. The early, mid 90's Hardrock's are nice bikes.
I remember missing a pristine one in tan with brown lettering some guy beat me to it for $25 ten years ago.
The more I think about it the first one is probably the way to go based on price? No mention of that on either.

Last edited by StarBiker; 10-23-18 at 05:37 PM.
Old 10-23-18, 05:35 PM
DEW21

Bikes: 2012 Giant Escape, 199? Specialized HardRock

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
From what I've read, the Hardrock is 1/2 lb heavier. Mine weighs 32lbs
Old 10-23-18, 05:37 PM
Buellster

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Better pics of first

Better pics of 2nd

Those titles in the OP should've been hyperlinks but they became normal text haha
Old 10-23-18, 05:40 PM
Buellster

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by StarBiker
The lettering is more appealing on the second one. I can't make out the components but the second one looks like it is better quality to me. Crankset might be nicer on the first one. The early, mid 90's Hardrock's are nice bikes.
I remember missing a pristine one in tan with brown lettering some guy beat me to it for $25 ten years ago.
The more I think about it the first one is probably the way to go based on price? No mention of that on either.
better pics of both in above post
Old 10-23-18, 05:41 PM
Buellster

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by DEW21
From what I've read, the Hardrock is 1/2 lb heavier. Mine weighs 32lbs
phew that's a beauty! I'll have to show this too her for some inspiration. She is leaning towards the hardrock. She liked what she referred to as "the Miami vice paint job" haha

Last edited by Buellster; 10-23-18 at 05:47 PM.
Old 10-23-18, 05:57 PM
StarBiker

The more I look the first one is a better bike with a better crankset, handlebars, stem, gearshifts and being in the Portland area you are going to need those fenders.
She might like the lettering more, but she is getting a better bike for $160 (The first bike). I would want more like $200 for the first one, and $160 for the second.

Being a weight weenie at under 200 bones ain't happening unless you get lucky somewhere.

I wouldn't dick around at those prices either. Especially now that you posted both bikes on here.
Old 10-23-18, 06:04 PM
Buellster

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Yeah I know it's a risk but i wanted people to get the experts to get the full story.
I felt the same way though. The more I looked the more it seemed like the first is a better bike for the money. Especially when we are talking below 200.
were looking at both today so I think well still be the first to see it. I'm gonna push that she snap it up quick
Old 10-23-18, 06:30 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Rockhopper is at least twice the bike. Hardrock has the less desirable indexed Suntour shifters and derailleurs. No thanks! Rockhopper has much nicer friction thumb shifters, basically bullet proof.

Two different frames, will fit two different people.

If the bigger size is OK, I'd check out this Stumpy.

https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/...730259540.html

Last edited by wrk101; 10-23-18 at 06:36 PM.
Old 10-23-18, 06:37 PM
Buellster

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by wrk101
Rockhopper is at least twice the bike. Hardrock has the less desirable indexed Suntour shifters and derailleurs. No thanks! Rockhopper has much nicer friction thumb shifters, basically bullet proof.

Two different frames, will fit two different people.
That last bit sounds like an ancient proverb haha
The larger one is a bit big while the other is a bit small. Guy riding the hopper is 5'7" so I figured it would work.
I saw that stumpy too! How does it compare with the hopper? I'm terrible at defining quality on the 90s era, and I'm even worse with MTBs
Old 10-23-18, 08:13 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
I'd buy the rockhopper or the stumpy at that price. The stumpy is the pick of the litter if the sizing works. The "86 rockhopper is close to being a collectible. Mountain bikes underwent a lot of changes in the 80s. Their dimensions were a little closer to road bikes back then.
Old 10-23-18, 08:27 PM
gorillimo

Bikes: Surly Cross Check, Specialized Enduro Pro, Lemond Tourmalet

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 192 Times in 94 Posts

The Rockhopper has better frame and components. Either would be a good bike, tho. Here’s my Rockhopper build. Super versatile bike, great smooth ride.
Old 10-23-18, 09:01 PM
Buellster

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
I'd buy the rockhopper or the stumpy at that price. The stumpy is the pick of the litter if the sizing works. The "86 rockhopper is close to being a collectible. Mountain bikes underwent a lot of changes in the 80s. Their dimensions were a little closer to road bikes back then.
What makes the stumpy the pick? Is it tubing quality ,index shifting, parts mix, high original MSRP or what? I'd like to be better at spotting quality when it comes to vintage mtbs, there a lot around. Hipsters like road bikes it would seem, so the mtbs go for cheap haha
Old 10-23-18, 09:05 PM
Buellster

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by gorillimo

The Rockhopper has better frame and components. Either would be a good bike, tho. Here’s my Rockhopper build. Super versatile bike, great smooth ride.
Wow that's a great set up! Where are you riding in that desserty shot?
Good to know thanks! I was thinking eithier are good. I just wanted to make sure one of them wasnt a bottom tier model while the other was tops.
Also the rockhopper had my nice vintage bike radar tingling and I wanted to know if I was getting any better at spotting good buys.
Old 10-23-18, 09:22 PM
gorillimo

Bikes: Surly Cross Check, Specialized Enduro Pro, Lemond Tourmalet

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 192 Times in 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Buellster
Wow that's a great set up! Where are you riding in that desserty shot?
Good to know thanks! I was thinking eithier are good. I just wanted to make sure one of them wasnt a bottom tier model while the other was tops.
Also the rockhopper had my nice vintage bike radar tingling and I wanted to know if I was getting any better at spotting good buys.
Thanks. I’m really liking it . The North Road bars have more variety then people realize. Upright to racked out. Dunno if I could go back to drop bars. The trail is Johnson Ranch, here in San Luis Obispo,,Ca.
Old 10-23-18, 09:55 PM
StarBiker

That last bit sounds like an ancient proverb
Man who post on net may miss the sh*t he want.
Old 10-23-18, 11:24 PM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 318 Posts
What makes the stumpy the pick?
The stumpjumper was the higher end model, rockhopper was in the middle and the hardrock on the bottom. I couldn't tell you the differences of the frames, but obviously the stumpjumpers had a higher MSRP and better components.

That said, color and the look of a bike is very important, especially to women. A person is more likely to ride the bike if they like the way it looks.
Old 10-24-18, 04:35 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
What makes the stumpy the pick? Is it tubing quality ,index shifting, parts mix, high original MSRP or what? I'd like to be better at spotting quality when it comes to vintage mtbs, there a lot around. Hipsters like road bikes it would seem, so the mtbs go for cheap haha
The stumpjumper was the top of the line and the rockhopper was second so typically the stumpy will have a little nicer frame and parts but not always. My understanding is that some years the two had pretty similar frames.

But you are talking about different model years and mountain bikes underwent a lot of evolution from the mid 80s to the early 90s and you can see it in these two bikes. The early 90s stumpy is a racing bike with an aluminum frame.. It will have a longer top tub relative to the seat tube than the '86 rockhopper. Frankly for an all around beast of burden and commuter, the rockhopper is a great choice. I'd buy either once at that price but I wouldn't hesitate as they won't last long.
Old 10-24-18, 06:30 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Yes, the Stumpy is the top model, will have better wheels and components. I have also found as you get into the 1990s, top tubes got longer and longer on MTBs so fit will be different. Although not an aluminum frame fan, the M2 aluminum frame on the Stumpy is a good one, and I would guess the Stumpy will weigh several POUNDS less.

Sizing based on height is difficult, there is a lot more that goes into it. Test ride a few bikes and see what she is comfortable with.

A Stumpy at that price is pretty incredible, and quite a surprise for Portland, OR.
Old 10-24-18, 11:49 AM
StarBiker

Go with the Rockhopper if she can fit it? And if it doesn't fit her, or she doesn't like it you should get it.
Old 10-30-18, 12:16 PM
RockiesDad

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 17 Posts
Just to confuse you a bit more... My daughter has a vintage Specialized Crossroads she got for about $100. It needed some work but overall a very nice riding bike. Might want to look for some of those also.

I prefer a more street oriented bike over a mountain bike for general road riding and commuting. Seems more upright and comfortable. Also, it has 700c tires which has a lot more choices when time to upgrade.
Old 11-01-18, 08:01 AM
StarBiker

Originally Posted by RockiesDad
Just to confuse you a bit more... My daughter has a vintage Specialized Crossroads she got for about $100. It needed some work but overall a very nice riding bike. Might want to look for some of those also.

I prefer a more street oriented bike over a mountain bike for general road riding and commuting. Seems more upright and comfortable. Also, it has 700c tires which has a lot more choices when time to upgrade.
I passed on a clean one for $30 over a week ago. It did look like a perfect commuter.
Old 11-01-18, 10:53 AM
Buellster

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Went with the rock hopper.
It was in clean clean clean ready to ride shape with fenders road tires and appropriate sizing!
Does have some rust spots here and there from scratches but nothing deep or major.
Stunpjunper a touch too big and in need of a wheel trueing and some serious maintenance.
Hardrock was in clean beautiful condition, better than the rockhopper, but was too small.
Got the guy down to 150 and then he threw a kryptonite u lock in for free!
Old 11-01-18, 09:47 PM
StarBiker

Just based on all three the Rockhopper looked like the best bike.