Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Reusing Shimano 10 Speed Chain Pin

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-19, 08:10 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22598 Post(s)
Liked 8,925 Times in 4,158 Posts

I know you are not "supposed" to reuse these pins but assuming I can push it back in, is there really a good reason not to?

I had to disassemble the chain yesterday and pushed the pin through just enough to get the chain out. It's really tempting just to push it back like the good old days.

Comments?
Old 02-04-19, 08:37 AM
leob1

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
Push it all the way out, throw it away, use a quick link.
Old 02-04-19, 09:29 AM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked 800 Times in 475 Posts
Bring a chain tool with you for when the chain comes apart and hope it isn't when you are standing and climbing a hill. Although, that's when its most likely to happen.

Seriously, just get a quick link.
Old 02-04-19, 09:29 AM
Brofessor

Bikes: Schwinn Circuit 89'

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Try it! The worst that can happen: Rolling down the hill 30mph, chain breaks, flies into your front wheel, locks it up.... Yeah, don't try it, be safe.
Old 02-04-19, 10:52 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4204 Post(s)
Liked 3,862 Times in 2,310 Posts
When you push out a chain pin that has had it's ends peened over (as pretty much all chains for indexed systems have to one degree or another) the peening punches open the side plate's hole. If this pin is next reinserted into the side plate's hole it will fit more loosely then it should. In time the prying forces that the chain suffers with during shifting will cause that pin to not be able to stay in the side plate's hole, your chain breaks usually when you're applying significant power too.

Shimano's replacement pins are slightly over sized to make up for this bigger side plate hole (and that's why the chain's instructions say to not remove a replacement pin, as there's only one oversize made, not two steps of oversize). Additionally the replacement pins have a ramped portion to the pilot part (the part that gets snapped off after install). This ramping acts to ease the oversized pin's entry into the side plate without further opening up the hole. I like to put a drop of lube on the replacement pin, I find it slides in more smoothly.

Given the wide availability, low cost and high reliability of connecting links I agree that they are the more sensible way to assemble a chain these days. Andy
Old 02-04-19, 12:00 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22598 Post(s)
Liked 8,925 Times in 4,158 Posts
Message received.

I will use a quick link. I think I have a few lying around somewhere.

Thanks.
Old 02-04-19, 12:02 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
I'd shove it in there, mark it for later identification, and ride to the local bike shop to get a quick link or oversized pin, plus some spares for next time. Unless there is a steep hill between you and the bike shop, then I'd consider walking the bike because I would never trust putting a whole lot of force on the chain until it was fixed properly. You asked and this is my opinion only.
Old 02-04-19, 12:15 PM
AnkleWork

Bikes: old clunker

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 83 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
I know you are not "supposed" to reuse these pins but assuming I can push it back in, is there really a good reason not to?

I had to disassemble the chain yesterday and pushed the pin through just enough to get the chain out. It's really tempting just to push it back like the good old days.

Comments?
You really don't need permission to just do what you want, but here it is: permission granted.
Old 02-04-19, 12:51 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,269 Times in 876 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
Message received.

I will use a quick link. I think I have a few lying around somewhere.

Thanks.
Smart move.
I pretzled a RD when reusing a 9 speed pin.
Old 02-05-19, 12:50 PM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 818 Times in 421 Posts
In a hurry to make the Pasadena vintage ride, I threw an old 10 speed chain on my six speed Super Course and re-used the pin. I had new pins somewhere, but couldn't find them. 4 or 5 miles out, the drivetrain locked up solid. The pin had worked loose and jammed in the derailleur jockey wheel. It was still in the chain, just barely. I started walking back to the car, but saw a big rock alongside the road. I used the rock and the flat side of a wrench to push the pin back in. I rode gingerly back to the car. I learned to not re-use chain pins, but I haven't learned to carry a chain tool. The new KMC chain arrived in the mail the next day.
I put a new chain on my Peugeot the other day, using the quick link. I put a chain tool in the saddle bag, just in case, but haven't needed it ... yet.
Old 02-05-19, 04:50 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Once chains went past 6 speeds the chain pins no longer were wider than the chain , but flush ..

if you throw the big bucks on the counter, you can get a chain tool that re rivets the pin head ..

as when you pushed the pin out, you stretched the hole, and so unless you enlarge the rivet head..
lt can come loose easily..

Basically, You cannot do a better job than the chain making machine in the factory..

Last edited by fietsbob; 02-05-19 at 04:55 PM.
Old 02-06-19, 12:47 PM
RockiesDad

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 17 Posts
Been there, done that, got the t-shirt...

Well, had to walk back to the car as my prize. Get a quick link...