Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

2nd RoadBike - Help me choose.

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-19, 05:22 PM
afham07

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi Guys,

I have been in cycling for a year now but this hobby is kind of addictive. In a year, I bought 5 bikes but sold 3, 2 still in possession. My main bike is Sworks Venge where another is a folding bike, Tern Eclipse X22.

I am thinking to build another rb as alternative for my Venge. I will not spend another USD10k on this for sure. The issue now is I am in dilemma, either want to go for another aero bike or climbing bike. If I go for aero bike, it will duplicate of my main bike but if I go for climbing, which normally a light weight bike, it will not beat my venge weight anyway, unless I spend another 8-10k USD for top line components and frame.

Here are a couple of choice in my list:

1. Allez Sprint - I owned this bike before but sold it off due to same profile with venge. I regret it now and thinking to build another Allez Sprint and use as alternative.
2. CAAD12 - I would call this as climbing bike, but for sure my venge will beat this bike in weight given my budget is just for Ultegra groupset, and mid level wheels and components such as Fulcrum Racing Zero.

I am thinking to go for alloy instead of carbon for this 2nd bike is because cheaper price, not to worry about it if I bring bike travelling abroad.

What do you think? Any other recommendation or input?
Old 04-15-19, 05:25 PM
puma1552

Bikes: '17 Colnago C-RS (Full 5800); '16 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 40 Posts
If you want a climbing bike, buy an Emonda.
Old 04-15-19, 05:40 PM
ridethetown

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp, 2019 Specialized Diverge Sport, 2018 Santa Cruz Bronson S Aluminum 27.5, 2014 Wabi Classic (Fixed)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 5 Posts
I'd get a generalist do-it-all race bike that (like you said) you can travel with. No objective need for two aero bikes.
Old 04-15-19, 05:53 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Tarmac. Best all around race bike I've owned.
Old 04-15-19, 07:07 PM
ridethetown

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp, 2019 Specialized Diverge Sport, 2018 Santa Cruz Bronson S Aluminum 27.5, 2014 Wabi Classic (Fixed)

Liked 13 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
+1

So sad to be selling my 2016 Pro Race - the paint scheme that year was just screamin' and the DA 9000 sooo crispy. I've been between sizes and my aging back doesn't put up with the 7cm drop I have on my 58 cm frame. Looking forward to my '20 Roubaix in a 61 cm, but am gonna miss the Tarmac when it sells.
Old 04-15-19, 07:40 PM
pk2

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
what is it about your venge that makes you want something else? do you just want to collect or is there something about the venge that you don't like so much, sometimes? being an aero bike it is liable to be a bit heavy, harsh riding and sluggish. the latest venge is supposed to be better in those respects than most aero frames but maybe still not as much so as more allrounders.

that will point you in the direction of what sort of bike to get at which point people can help better suggest good ones.
if you're just looking to collect nice bikes then get whatever you like the look of
Old 04-15-19, 07:54 PM
Dean V

Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
Just because your Venge may be faster than a lot of bikes it won't be by much and it certainly doesn't mean it is more enjoyable to ride than many cheaper alternatives.
Personally I would rather ride something like a Giant TCR Advanced Pro than a Venge and it is a fraction of the price.
Old 04-15-19, 08:13 PM
afham07

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
Talking about Tarmac, there are 2 options - Specialized SL6 or Sworks SL5.

Spez SL6 with Fact9R material while Sworks SL5 with Fact11R. In current market, both should be almost on the same price or just a few hundred different between them. The main concerns are Spez SL6 with latest design (lower rear tube or whatever you call it than Sworks SL5) but Swork SL5 with better carbon material. Should I go for better material on Sworks SL5 or latest (perhaps better) frame design on Spez SL6?

Originally Posted by pk2
what is it about your venge that makes you want something else? do you just want to collect or is there something about the venge that you don't like so much, sometimes? being an aero bike it is liable to be a bit heavy, harsh riding and sluggish. the latest venge is supposed to be better in those respects than most aero frames but maybe still not as much so as more allrounders.

that will point you in the direction of what sort of bike to get at which point people can help better suggest good ones.
if you're just looking to collect nice bikes then get whatever you like the look of
There is nothing I dont like on the venge. It's perfect bike for me. It's just that I am looking for alternative for venge where I can ride with wife (she rides my foldie I mentioned before) at our housing area, riding with new buddies at slow pace, etc. Another good use is to park this bike on trainer which really convience for me instead of having 1 bike for all.
Old 04-15-19, 09:22 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
I like Tarmacs, but for a 2nd bike,

having something that you can leave locked up, ride in the rain or dirt, or loan out is good.
Old 04-15-19, 09:36 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
I would personally be looking for something that can take a 35-40mm tire. For riding with the wife and buddies, no sense in having something built purely for speed. Might as well be comfortable. I have a Cervelo R3 and a Ritchey Swiss Cross, and the Ritchey gets ridden about twice as many days a year as the Cervelo. Most days I'm not in a hurry. You've already got a go-fast bike, might as well have a go-anywhere bike.
Old 04-16-19, 02:34 AM
rivers

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 79 Posts
I second getting a bike that can take 35-40mm tyres. My second bike is a Felt CX, and it is a blast to ride, but in a completely different way than my aero bike. It's main duties are commuting, wet weather, off-road/mountain bike trails, and days out with the wife. I've had the CX bike since December, and it's done about 1300 miles, my aero bike has done about 400. I save that bike for the nicer days when the sun is shining, I'm out for speed, or a long day in the saddle. As DrIsotope said, I can take the CX bike pretty much anywhere. It has decent speed on the road, if a gravel road or a bridleway takes my fancy, I can check that out, and if the wife and I are pootling along tow paths for a day out with the dog.
Old 04-16-19, 06:28 AM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
+1 for a grave/CX bike. That's what I'm looking for at the moment. I started looking at another road bike, but then figured why have two road bikes that do the same thing, get something that can handle a bit of offroad.
Old 04-16-19, 06:38 AM
Harumph

Bikes: 2018 BMC RoadMachine 02

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Take a look at the BMC Roadmachine 02. It's an incredible bike that can take bigger tires yet still go fast and climb. It's also half the cost of your S-Works. I bought one last April and now it's the only bike I ride. I absolutely love the way this bike rides.

Shimano Di2, hydraulic disk brakes, incredible carbon frame for under $5,000.00

https://www.racycles.com/bikes/road/...oaAkClEALw_wcB

Last edited by Harumph; 04-16-19 at 06:44 AM.
Old 04-16-19, 09:00 AM
MonsterFat

Bikes: Fat City Monster Fat, BMC Roadmachine, Trek Emonda, Trek 2100, Specialized Rockhopper

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Harumph
Take a look at the BMC Roadmachine 02. It's an incredible bike that can take bigger tires yet still go fast and climb. It's also half the cost of your S-Works. I bought one last April and now it's the only bike I ride. I absolutely love the way this bike rides.

Shimano Di2, hydraulic disk brakes, incredible carbon frame for under $5,000.00

https://www.racycles.com/bikes/road/...oaAkClEALw_wcB
Second on the BMC. Picked one up about a month ago. Absolutely love the bike and can't say enough good things about it.
Old 04-17-19, 09:00 AM
firebird854

Bikes: 2016 Specialized Tarmac Expert

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 62 Posts
I'm currently building up this epic alloy purple frameset:
https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b...lorCode=purple

It's pretty much the lightest you can go for alloy disc, I've already bought XXX integrated carbon handlebar & stem, XXX carbon seatpost, and Aeolus Pro 5 TLR Disc. So far this build will be light, responsive, and has only cost around $2500 so far (abused TrekFest and the handlebar/stem combo is an overstock item for half off).

Honestly, the frame is going to matter a lot less then the wheels or groupset, I'd go alloy, and find one with a bling color (I love those allez sprints! but the weight was a bit much, so this emonda ALR purple flip frame was kinda perfect IMO).