Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Brompton, needs work. How much should I be able to do?

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-19, 09:26 PM
mlau

Bikes: Xootr Swift

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 47 Posts

Hi fellow foldies,

I brought my brompton to the bike shop after my rear derailleur stopped working, and they quoted me $520, not including getting a new rear wheel/hub.

This would be for recabling the brakes, new chain, replacing bottom bracket, crankset, recabling shifters.

How much should I be able to do myself?
Old 09-03-19, 09:40 PM
CSG

Bikes: 2002 Novara Ponderosa HT MTB 2011, Brompton M6L

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
If you have any skills, I'd imagine you could do all of it. If you don't, you're at the mercy of bike shops.
Old 09-04-19, 06:53 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1660 Post(s)
Liked 1,808 Times in 1,053 Posts
Bikes are 1890s technology. I've known 9 y.o.s to completely dismantle, clean, relubricate and reassemble their bicycle.

“Is it hard?'
Not if you have the right attitudes. It's having the right attitudes that's hard.”
Robert M. Pirsig
Likes For tcs:
Old 09-04-19, 07:03 AM
bargainguy

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked 308 Times in 191 Posts
That's an interesting quote, and reminiscent of the bloated quotes I get at auto shops when I bring my car in for a couple tires and they recommend I replace the engine and drivetrain. In particular, I'm curious why they want to replace your crank and bottom bracket.
Old 09-04-19, 08:18 AM
bikebikebike

Bikes: Downtube IX NS&FS, Dahon Speed8Pro/Matrix/Curve, Brom S2L,Montague Para, ICE-XL w/Rollie/Schlumpf, Trident Spike, ebikes, BFSatRDay

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 81 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs
Bikes are 1890s technology. I've known 9 y.o.s to completely dismantle, clean, relubricate and reassemble their bicycle.
Best of luck. I know how much harder 4th grade is going to be.

OP: A few tools, patience and a camera and internet will get you pretty far, here.
Though you have to have a certain curiosity and desire to bond.
It is easier to start on smaller projects, but you start out from where you find yourself.
Have LBS guy describe what he is seeing and write it down. (Harder than it sounds)
Finding someone nearby who can coach you is also a big help.
It can be as much fun as riding.

naw
Old 09-04-19, 01:19 PM
12boy

Bikes: brompton sl, surly steamroller, fuji track, gary fisher bmx minivelo etc

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
Where are you located? I get Brompton specific stuff from perennial cycles and non Brompton stuff from my lbs such as jagwire cables, bottom brackets, brake pads and tubeless tire sealant. Bromptons have a chain pusher and a matching chain tensioner which I got from perennial . They will also have a new sprockets for the rear wheel. A Shimano 118 mm cartridge bearing bottom bracket, jagwire cable housing and cables and a new 3/32 7-8 speed are all at the lbs, who will sell cable housing by the foot, and if you bring in your current stuff will probably cut the cable and housing to size for free. Before I bought a new rear wheel I would try pouring a little synthetic auto oil in the hub through the axle on the drive side and the adjusting via the spindle. There is info on YouTube as to how sturmey hubs are adjusted. As far as tools go you will need a crank puller and a tool which fits inside the BB to tighten it, and maybe a chain tool if you don't have one. The only justification for the spendy price tag you were given would be a new rear wheel. A new chain, brake pads, bottom bracket cables and housing should be less than 50 bucks. The tools another 50 or less. Good luck if you decide to fix this yourself but. It isn't that hard if you look up how to do it. One last thing....you might take photos of how the cabling looks so as to reassemble it as it was.op
Old 09-05-19, 07:55 PM
Joe Remi

Bikes: Haibike Sduro Trekking SL, Rivendell Appaloosa, Concinnity singlespeed, KHS mini velo (Japan market), Trident Spike trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 74 Posts
A lot of that money is in parts so you're paying no matter what. For the labor end I'd say you would already know if you were prepared to dig into it. As a novice mechanic I wouldn't mind learning one of those steps via online instructions, but all of them at once? Nah, just pay them to rebuild your bike.
Old 09-06-19, 11:30 AM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
Do you have a community bike workshop where you live? While they may not be familiar with Brompton, they can help you do the standard stuff like BB and crank change and cable changes, etc. And you can use their tools and guidance. Do what you can there and then let the shop do the Brompton specific stuff. There are 3 great coop shops in Berkeley/Oakland.
Old 09-06-19, 12:13 PM
Schwinnsta
Schwinnasaur

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 121 Posts
Take it to another Brompton dealer. This may be inconvenient but the quote is suspicious.
Likes For Schwinnsta:
Old 09-06-19, 06:33 PM
mlau

Thanks everyone. For parts, it's about $220. Labor is about $290.

Brompton was bought used from an old lady that completed a long distance tour.

Any leads on a good reference on how to tune up bikes?

I will pay them for the total overhaul, but learn skills to never need this again. It would also be nice to do some of what Raxel does.
Old 09-07-19, 05:39 AM
tmac100

Bikes: More bicycles than I can ride at one time: 2 custom made tourers, a Brompton 6-speed, and an Indian-made roadster.

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by CSG
If you have any skills, I'd imagine you could do all of it. If you don't, you're at the mercy of bike shops.
Agreed! Bought the parts in UK and they were shipped to me in Qatar. Had to buy the Park tools for removing the original Brompton BB and then installing the new cartridge.

For things like replacing the derailler and pusher and shifter cable, I used the Brompton pdf instructions.

Replacing all cables, cranks and front chain ring, derailleur, rear cogs, chain and brake shoes resulted in excellent performance, and the cost was a LOT less than your bike shop wants.

BUT then they don't work for free (as we wage-slaves don't) and they have overhead too...

Last edited by tmac100; 09-07-19 at 05:42 AM.
Old 09-07-19, 10:28 AM
mlau

I totally understand about the overhead...since I run a business too.
Old 09-07-19, 04:19 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
Originally Posted by mlau
Thanks everyone. For parts, it's about $220. Labor is about $290.

Brompton was bought used from an old lady that completed a long distance tour.

Any leads on a good reference on how to tune up bikes?

I will pay them for the total overhaul, but learn skills to never need this again. It would also be nice to do some of what Raxel does.
I'd call some of the bike repair workshops (Waterside/Street cycles in Berkeley for example) and see if anyone knows brompton. Even if they don't 80% is just regular bike stuff. They can teach you to tune your bike, replace cables, remove and replace BB and cranks (I know - they taught me!). You pay by donation, you learn hands on, and you'll walk away a lot more comfortable with the bike. What you can't fix there, you can then take to a regular shop and have done.
Old 10-07-19, 09:02 PM
mlau

Just an update after my local bike shop saga:

-very doable:
Change brake cables
Change pedals
Change cranks
Change shifter cables
Replace wheels and tires
Replace chain
Replace "drive train"
Replacing brake pads
- harder, but doable
Bottom bracket

- what I may send to shop:
Replacing rear triangle....maybe.

Most of the brompton, while quirky, is nothing more complicated than a British 3-speed.

For newbies with basic skills and YouTube, don't stress about trying to work on your brompton
Old 10-07-19, 09:20 PM
bikebikebike

Bikes: Downtube IX NS&FS, Dahon Speed8Pro/Matrix/Curve, Brom S2L,Montague Para, ICE-XL w/Rollie/Schlumpf, Trident Spike, ebikes, BFSatRDay

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 81 Posts
Brommie has a pretty simple RD system. Basic skills above Walmart bike shop help.
Shifter, cable, shift mech and tensioner.
Can't see them all failing, so it isn't clear why they would want to replace the whole enchilada.
None of the parts are hideously expensive, and are easy to troubleshoot with a small dose of experience and persistence.
Brompton even has the instructions online and youtube vids on the work abound to see what it looks like to do.
Got questions from there, just ask.