Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Trek Madone 4.5 tires

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Trek Madone 4.5 tires

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-13, 03:13 PM
eragon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Trek Madone 4.5 tires

I just purchased this new bike and it comes with tubeless tires. I never rode with tubeless and wonder of the pros and cons to the two different tires?

thank you
Old 05-20-13, 03:24 PM
cafzali

Bikes: Giant TCR SL3 and Trek 1.5

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
This article sums it up best:
https://www.bicycling.com/bikes-gear/...ou-go-tubeless

Tubeless versus clincher is one of those preference things, as some feel they have a smoother ride. Others feel they're more of a hassle than they're worth because, unlike tubular tires, tubeless tires won't really save you any weight.
Old 05-20-13, 03:35 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
you can Put a Tube in them if you remove the stem from the Rim hole.

Tufo has a Clincher- tubular , It Grabs the clincher rim edges as its pumped Up.

But its an entirely Tubular tire ..
Old 05-21-13, 01:56 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1819 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
Having ridden road tubeless for 3 years now, I consider them to be an unqualified success. Rolling resistance is reduced and I have experienced only 4 flats on the road in 3 years, riding without sealant at that. They are no more difficult to mount than some of the tighter conventional clinchers and not hard to inflate either. I can easily mount mine without using tire levers. You can now get them in wider widths, Bontrager make a 25mm tubeless and Hutchinson has just brought out a 28 mm tire. Even the 23mm tires I have been using provide a much nicer ride than the same tire in a conventional version. They are immune to pinch flats, I bent a rim going through a pothole at high speed and the tire didn't deflate. I don't feel that there is any downside to tubeless.
Oh and by the way, I find that road tubeless tires last quite a bit longer than a conventional clincher. My experience has been with Hutchinson Fusion3 road tubeless and to compare I have Fusion3 clinchers on my other wheels
Old 05-21-13, 08:00 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 337 Posts
While your rims are tubeless-ready, the wheels of your new Madone 4.5 are definitely running tubes.

To convert to tubeless you need Bontrager TLR valve stems, rim strips, sealant, and tires. Here's a link to the conversion kit, https://bontrager.com/model/11383, just $219.95 for everything except the wheels to get you started.
Old 05-22-13, 08:01 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by cafzali
Tubeless versus clincher is one of those preference things, as some feel they have a smoother ride. Others feel they're more of a hassle than they're worth because, unlike tubular tires, tubeless tires won't really save you any weight.
This is not a clincher vs tubular (sew up) question. The OP has rims made for tubeless clincher tires.