Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Finally went to a doctor

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Finally went to a doctor

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-14, 08:06 AM
irwin7638

Bikes: Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy, Soma Buena Vista, Giant Talon 2, Brompton

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 48 Posts
Finally went to a doctor

It's not as bad as it sounds. I've been cycling almost constantly for 42 years. I've been telling people for years that I feel the same as I did in my thirties. I never really have any health problems so it's been easy to put off going in for routine, let alone detailed check ups. I finally scheduled the full routine, poke, probe show and tell, including blood profiles, PSA, Colonoscopy and whatever else.
All the numbers are exactly as they were the past 30 years. I have 6% more bodyfat than I care for, but that's below average for a 30 year old and waaaay low on the optimal level for a 62 year old. Just a dirty old man trapped in the body of a thirty year old.
It's not hereditary. I have two cousins who are each within a year or so. When we were younger, we looked enough alike that people thought we were triplets. They are now skinny legged, pot bellied, grey haired old men who sit around talking about their medical problems and treatments. I am not. I am the one who has had totally sedentary office jobs throughout my career and the only lifestyle difference has been cycling (commuting/touring) and weight training.

Marc
Old 11-22-14, 08:15 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 504 Posts
Keep on riding and you might never be like a 31yo.
Old 11-22-14, 08:30 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Pretty much the same here, except im 76. Never in a hospital, or operated on. I attribute my good health to cycling.

If you set you rust.
Old 11-22-14, 10:55 AM
VNA

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Enjoy your health, but ultimately it is a crap shoot!

Exercise definitely helps and make life so much more pleasant being in good shape!

I have almost always ridden but I had my health issues although none life threatening and yet I have had friends who were leading very clean living and yet passed away at relatively early age!

Be thankful!
Old 11-22-14, 11:28 AM
freedomrider1

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for scaring the %&*# out of me Marc, when i saw the post that said Finally went to a doctor, i thought oh no he got the ebola or something.LOL that is great news.
Old 11-22-14, 02:28 PM
fat biker

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts
It's much better to wear out than to rust out.
You appear to be doing neither.

Jeff, still fat
Old 11-22-14, 02:45 PM
MikeD1

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.2, Kona Dew, Centurion Dave Scott Ironman

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Way to go Marc, keep it up! I personally have found that quality exercise and good diet help a LOT with virtually all aspects of life.
Old 11-22-14, 04:20 PM
JerrySTL

Bikes: Giant Defy Advanced, Breezer Doppler Team, Schwinn Twinn Tandem, Windsor Tourist, 1954 JC Higgens

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
While I can certainly claim some of my good health to cycling, I've had 3 ambulance rides due to cycling! Hit by car in '93. Heart attack while riding in 2000. Crashed bad in a race in 2002.

I can blame some of my health problems on running as I had knee surgery in 1990. I felt the pain during a run.

Other than that, I have gout and just found out last week that I have asthma or something else causing COPD. Cycling has probably hidden the problem for at least 6 years. I've never felt unexpectedly out of breath. I figured that huffing and puffing up a steep hill was normal.
Old 11-22-14, 04:30 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5778 Post(s)
Liked 2,576 Times in 1,427 Posts
The hardest thing about being old and healthy is dealing with the questionnaire. Doctors give you that hard stare when you say NO to every question.

Any operations -- Never
Ever been diagnosed for..... No, no, no, no....... no.
What prescriptions -- None
Allergies - none
Special diet - No
Do anything special for your health - not really I ride a bicycle.

I'm so used to just going down the lists checking No in very box, that I was once tripped up by a "trick" form which needed a yes in one box if you were healthy. The Doc wanted to discus that, and seemed somewhat disappointed when I corrected the form.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

Last edited by FBinNY; 11-22-14 at 04:44 PM.
Old 11-22-14, 07:36 PM
irwin7638

Bikes: Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy, Soma Buena Vista, Giant Talon 2, Brompton

Originally Posted by FBinNY
The hardest thing about being old and healthy is dealing with the questionnaire. Doctors give you that hard stare when you say NO to every question.

Any operations -- Never
Allergies - none
Special diet - No

I'm so used to just going down the lists checking No in very box, that I was once tripped up by a "trick" form which needed a yes in one box if you were healthy. The Doc wanted to discus that, and seemed somewhat disappointed when I corrected the form.

It's rewarding when 3 different people come back with your chart to verify your age.

Marc
Old 11-23-14, 06:46 AM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
The last time I went in for a colonoscopy (colon cancer runs in my family) I set off an alarm on the machine that was monitoring my vital signs. Apparently that alarm went off when your resting heart rate went below 45 bpm.

Demain, on roule!
Old 11-23-14, 09:05 AM
rydabent
Banned

revchuck

There have been other threads on it, but I definately encourage everyone to get a colonoscopy probably starting at age 50. Just this week I attended a funeral of my nephew who was 65 that died from colon cancer. It was a terrible way to go, and a colonsocopy can probably head off 90% and maybe more colon cancer deaths.
Old 11-23-14, 10:04 AM
Bikey Mikey

Bikes: Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I didn't have my first colonoscopy until I was 53. Fortunately, only 2 polyps were found and not cancerous or precancerous(but the type that has potential to become so). I was told I needed to get another in 3 years, which I recently did. They did find another polyp or two, but the doc told be I could wait 5 years this time. Maybe then, 3rd time a charm, I get to wait 10 years.
Old 11-23-14, 10:59 AM
trackhub

Bikes: Bridgestone RB-1. Nicely restored

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts

Any operations -- Never
Allergies - none
Special diet - No

Being over 50, and being able to answer "no" to all the standard questions, does seem to bother them, for some bizarre reason. Am I right? Today, in America, it is almost as though
it is expected that if you are over 50, you are supposed to have high BP, cholesterol problems, weight issues, heart issues, or something else. Saying you are a cyclist seems to result in dumbfounded stares. Finding a primary care doc, who is a cyclist, is a good thing, if you can manage it. Oh, has anyone run into this one: Saying you "ride a bike", and immediately being asked "Oh, what kind of bike? A Harley, a Honda, Kawasaki,,?" And you tell them "a bicycle", and the result is... dumbfounded stares. I ask this, because it happened to a co-worker, about a year ago. This, in Boston, which is supposed to be a medical mecca. ( Debatable )

Having said all that, yes, it is a crap shoot. Some of us are dealt a good hand from the genetic deck of cards, some not.
Old 11-23-14, 11:18 AM
irwin7638

Originally Posted by trackhub
Oh, has anyone run into this one: Saying you "ride a bike", and immediately being asked "Oh, what kind of bike? A Harley, a Honda, Kawasaki,,?" And you tell them "a bicycle", and the result is... dumbfounded stares..
Once after meeting a couple of guys at a gathering, I mentioned a trip I took on my "bike." One asked "Djaget yourself a Harley, didja?" I said "No, real men don't need motors!" The stares were more than dumbfounded.

Marc
Old 11-23-14, 08:25 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Who wants to discuss chain lubrication strategies?
Old 11-23-14, 08:29 PM
CbadRider

Bikes: Specialized Allez, Specialized Sirrus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I did some clean up.

If you can't say something nice ...

Forum Guidelines *click here*
Old 11-24-14, 08:04 AM
rydabent
Banned

irwin

I also say----------real men dont need no steenkin motors!!! You should see the look on my sons face that has a Harley.
Old 11-24-14, 10:20 AM
ModeratedUser150120149

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by CbadRider

If you can't say something nice ...
My Goodness! If that is the new post criteria might as well delete most of the posts and join the No Comments Allowed Club.
Old 11-24-14, 11:20 AM
RideMyWheel

Bikes: 2014 Felt Z100, 1987 Schwinn Sierra

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You're my hero, Marc. I just joined this 50+ club about 4 months ago, aspiring to someday be where you are today. I think I'm gonna make it, too.

In March I was convinced that I had some serious health problems mounting. I was sure that 35+ years of not paying attention to my diet, 31+ years in sedentary jobs, 22 years of smoking, and another 7 years addicted to nicotine gum was finally catching up to me. I've never been overweight, but I've also never really enjoyed exercise. I was certain that my ship had sailed, and that I would be unable to reach any serious level of fitness again.

Au contraire! I began cycling again in May, and am more fit today than I've ever been. Saturday I rode 25 miles and didn't even feel it the next day. It took about three months to build up my legs, but since then I have known virtually no limits.

A trip to the doctor yielded that my health problems stemmed from a Vitamin-D deficiency, and a sinus condition that was preventing me from sleeping soundly. These problems were solved with a $12 anti-snoring mouthpiece I found on Amazon, and 5,000 i.u. of Vitamin D every day. Within three weeks my energy levels soared. I only started cycling because I wanted to fix up an old mountain bike and sell it on Craigslist. I ended up keeping it, and then buying a serious road bike.

In just six months my life has taken a dramatic turn for the better. I'd put the 50-year-old version of myself up against my 18, 24, 30, and 40-year old versions any day. (Well, in any area except the bedroom, but I understand there are pills for that now?)

I have an abundance of things to be thankful for this year. Life begins at 50 if you know the trick.
Old 11-24-14, 01:12 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4338 Post(s)
Liked 2,980 Times in 1,617 Posts
I had two bad bike crashes this year, involving trips to the ER and broken bones. After the second one, lots of folks were telling me I should maybe find some other activity, but the trauma doctor said "Keep riding your bicycle... stay the hell out of cars".
Old 11-24-14, 03:09 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Originally Posted by DiabloScott
I had two bad bike crashes this year, involving trips to the ER and broken bones. After the second one, lots of folks were telling me I should maybe find some other activity, but the trauma doctor said "Keep riding your bicycle... stay the hell out of cars".
Are you sure he didn't say "stay OFF of cars?"

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

Old 11-24-14, 03:16 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4338 Post(s)
Liked 2,980 Times in 1,617 Posts
Are you sure he didn't say "stay OFF of cars?"
No cars involved - first one was an oil slick on a sharp corner and the other was just a dumb mistake.
Old 11-24-14, 04:52 PM
FBinNY 

Originally Posted by DiabloScott
No cars involved - first one was an oil slick on a sharp corner and the other was just a dumb mistake.
My post didn't call for an answer.

Old 11-24-14, 04:53 PM
irwin7638

Originally Posted by JanMM
Who wants to discuss chain lubrication strategies?
Isn't there a different forum for religion?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.