Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Ever forget your water?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.
View Poll Results: Have You Ever Forgotten Your Water For a Ride?
Yes
69.51%
No
25.61%
Water!? I don't need water-I'm a camel.
4.88%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Ever forget your water?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-15, 02:23 PM
Bikey Mikey

Bikes: Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Ever forget your water?

So, I head out for 30 or so mile ride even though it's quite windy. It's windy, but it's also in the upper 70s. About 10 miles in, I reach down for the water bottle and it's not there. I look down and it sure isn't. "What! I know I filled the bottle," I tell myself. So, when I get close to my house, ridden 18/19 miles by now, I run in, down some water from the bottle and quickly return to the bike, bottle in hand. I was sure thirsty when I got home.

So, have you ever forgotten your water bottle? Obviously, I have.

Last edited by Bikey Mikey; 03-17-15 at 02:26 PM.
Old 03-17-15, 02:25 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
You are getting so Old.....

Helmet
Gloves
Watch
Camera
Money
Computer

Last edited by 10 Wheels; 03-17-15 at 02:53 PM.
Old 03-17-15, 02:50 PM
obed7

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.2, Ridley Xfire, Giant Propel, KHS AeroComp

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1648 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
no, i have never left my water bottle, but then again I have not been riding for a full two years yet, give me time.
Old 03-17-15, 03:34 PM
Digital Gee
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yesterday I took a bottle of water in the car, but when I got to where I was going to ride, I discovered the container was too large to fit in the holder on the bike.

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 03-17-15, 03:36 PM
locolobo13 

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 2,641 Times in 948 Posts
I live in the middle of a HUGE metro area. For short rides I deliberately leave without water. After all there's a convenience store almost every mile. But for anything over 20mi I usually remember my water. Not always.
Old 03-17-15, 03:41 PM
Frank72

Bikes: 2022 Ribble Endurance Disc Sport 2018 Trek Emonda Al4, 2012 Motobecane Heat Ti,

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 222 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by obed7
no, i have never left my water bottle, but then again I have not been riding for a full two years yet, give me time.
I'm new (since last year) but have not left without water. I'm still doing 5-10 miles but hope to increase this summer.
Old 03-17-15, 03:44 PM
RISKDR1

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
no, but i forgot my bike once.
Old 03-17-15, 04:05 PM
Rick@OCRR
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Last Oct. I started the Bass Lake double century with two bottles . . . but I'd forgotten to put water in them before I left the motel. There was powdered Perpetuem in one, powdered Gatorade in the other . . . but nothing liquid.

Fortunately, my friend Linda, who I rode the first 80 miles with had remembered to fill her bottles so I just borrowed one of hers until we reached the first checkpoint. Yeah, I felt like an idiot but fortunately nothing tragic.

Rick / OCRR
Old 03-17-15, 05:54 PM
grampa.sjb

Bikes: Litespeed Classic, Surly Disc Trucker, Santa Cruz Blur

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not only have I forgotten my water, I once drove two hours to a mountain bike ride only to realize I had forgotten my helmet gloves and shoes! It was really uncomfortable riding my eggbeaters in slippers!
Old 03-17-15, 06:13 PM
KenshiBiker

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Last year I forgot my water bottle on my commute in to work. I rarely drink on my commute in: I leave before 6 am, and it's only about 15 miles, so I only occasionally feel the need to drink, but that day I reached down to get my bottle and it wasn't there. Fortunately I keep a spare (empty) bottle in my desk drawer (in the summer, the temps on the ride home can be well over 100 deg F).

Oh, and like grampa, I once drove about 50 miles to the start of an organized ride only to find I'd left my shoes at home. No fun riding a tandem with Speedplays in tennis shoes.
Old 03-17-15, 06:19 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
I got about 1/4mi away from the house and remembered I didnt fill it. That's a nasty surprise in the making.
Old 03-17-15, 06:48 PM
plumberroy

Bikes: Surly long haul trucker, Surly steamroller,Huffy Catalina, Univega Alpina 501. Gravity deadeye monster, Raliegh sport , Electra loft 1

Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 181 Posts
Not until tonight right after reading this thread
Old 03-17-15, 07:51 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by Digital Gee
Yesterday I took a bottle of water in the car, but when I got to where I was going to ride, I discovered the container was too large to fit in the holder on the bike.
A bottle of water is only a water bottle if it fits into a water bottle cage.
Old 03-17-15, 08:07 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4389 Post(s)
Liked 3,016 Times in 1,865 Posts
I forgot my water on a fast club ride on a hot summer day. I got a few miles in, looked down, and...."uh oh." I went a few more miles and realized that I was asking for trouble, so I let the hammerheads go and sheepishly pedaled back to my car.
Old 03-17-15, 08:24 PM
jon c. 

Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 571 Posts
I forget from time to time. If it's cool, I do without. Especially if I have energy chews to keep my mouth moist. If it's 85 or hotter, I'll go back and get it. I'm riding from my house, so I can always alter my route and loop around so I pass by the house again.
Old 03-17-15, 08:51 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3888 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Everyone forgets stuff. I have a "day ride list" that must be 80 items long. A good thing to do is leave spares in the car. When you get a new helmet, shoes, bottle, etc., leave the old stuff in the car. Then you'll have loaners, which is also good.
Old 03-17-15, 08:52 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 1,986 Times in 569 Posts
This all reminds me of my first attempt at a long(ish) bike ride with my wife.

Now, we lived about equidistant from the beach bike path and a bike path that ran parallel to the aqueduct in the desert. For reasons lost in time, I decided that we should ride the acqueduct, not the beach. And it was July.

Water? Nah. No need to carry any of that! We'll be riding right next to an acqueduct.

So we get there, hop on the bikes, and off we go.

Now, anyone with any experience in the Antelope Valley will tell you that the winds always blow from the west in the afternoon. And strong? So strong, the trees in the area are all bowed toward the east. So strong and consistent, there is now a huge wind power generation facility there.

And I knew about the wind. But somehow, its importance escaped me that morning. So off we went, heading ... of course ... east. And boy, as the day went on, we were really tooting along.

It wasn't long before I realized that getting water from the acqueduct was a pipe dream. And when we turned around to head back, we faced a gale of hot, dry wind.

My wife couldn't do it. She stayed while I rode into the tempest back to the car.

My first stop was a liquor store. I bought a six pack of Hansen's soda, and drank it, Conehead style. Yea ... no kidding. And I got one for my wife too, and rescued her from our mini Sahara.

Funny thing, she looked askance at bike ride suggestions from me from that point forward. I wonder why?

Old 03-18-15, 05:20 AM
justblues

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JanMM
A bottle of water is only a water bottle if it fits into a water bottle cage.
I sense that you are the forum philosopher.
Old 03-18-15, 10:56 AM
Digital Gee
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally Posted by justblues
I sense that you are the forum philosopher.

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 03-18-15, 11:07 AM
chinkroadrunner

Bikes: 2014 Spec Roubaix SL4 Expert

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Several times but I always take my first drink between the first and second mile ... I turn around and go home every time!
Old 03-18-15, 12:06 PM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
I have my habits/routines. They keep me on track most of the time but a disruption can really mess things up.

I've stopped at a gas station and bought a bottle of water before. I've also had to turn back for other equipment.
Old 03-18-15, 12:07 PM
Little Darwin
The Improbable Bulk

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I drive to many of my ride locations, and I have forgotten my water in the car a couple of times and noticed about 5 miles in. And a couple of times, I forgot to even bring water in the car, but in those cases, I drive to somewhere and buy a couple of bottles of water.

I did ride with someone who was on her first ride with us, so we only rode about 6 miles round trip, but about 1/2 way back she realized she had left her bottle where we turned around, so the other two of us got her back to her car and used that as an opportunity to extend our ride to retrieve her water bottle since Tim could give it to her the next day.

Usually I carry 3 24 ounce bottles with me because we ride on remote rail trails, and I work up a heck of a thirst when I ride.

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 03-18-15, 12:33 PM
Pamestique 
Shredding Grandma!

Bikes: I don't own any bikes

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have forgotten it... no water... no ride...

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.
Old 03-18-15, 01:13 PM
JerrySTL

Bikes: Giant Defy Advanced, Breezer Doppler Team, Schwinn Twinn Tandem, Windsor Tourist, 1954 JC Higgens

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Yes. More than once.

One time a riding buddy of mine forgot his water bottle and it was very instructive. We are about the same age, size, and he's a stronger rider for the first 20 or so miles. Then I catch up with him. He quit doing century rides as he was so wiped out afterwards.

He forget his water bottle. I have two of the same bottles filled with a sports drink mix and give one to him. It's a warm day and we are doing about 50 miles. At almost 20 miles in my water bottle is nearly empty and we stop to refill. My riding buddy's water bottle is only half empty. After another 15 miles, the same thing. Yet another 15 miles and he's only consumed half of what I did. After the last 10 miles, my water bottle is all but empty and his is closer to full! In the same ride, I drank about twice the fluids. I should also mention that my riding buddy is one of those guys who pours sweat. No wonder he's feeling poorly; he's probably dehydrated. I suggest that he weighs himself before and after rides to see if he's loosing too much weight i.e. dehydrated.
Old 03-18-15, 02:11 PM
rubic
Slogging along

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse '06, Mongoose titanium road bike '00--my commuter. Yes, Mongoose once made a decent ti road bike.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
On a hot summer day a couple of years ago, I forgot my water. Luckily the group went close to my house in the first 5 miles and I was able to stop off and pick up the bottles.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.