Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Finally took the leap

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Finally took the leap

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-12, 07:09 PM
Ridernthestorm

Bikes: 2010 Motobecane jubilee trail .......2012 cannondale quick 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Finally took the leap

After much research and test rides finally moved from the comfort bike and bought the cannondale quick five, fit the 500 price range, was torn between giant escape 1 (didn't care for the shifters on the escape) and it, anyhow love it but definitely will need bar ends, not so much to lay down but to get pressure off shoulders (Arthur reared his ugly head on first ride), any ideas? Totally different ride from comfort bike, thought I would spin the cranks once and coast for a mile. LOL Also looking for the best online place for racks and bags, bike store bags run from 50 to 150. Thanks for any input,
Old 06-21-12, 09:36 PM
xjken99

Bikes: '09 fisher zembrano, '92 schwinn frontier

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice choice! I have been thinking of making the move from my comfort hybrid to a performance of fitness hybrid. Your post just adds fire to the discussion. If I can ask what kind of comfort hybrid you had, and if it had a suspension seat and fork. It's not me but forum rules demand a pic of the N+1.
Old 06-21-12, 10:00 PM
luxo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know what you mean about the shifters on the Escape 1, it's kinda weird having both of them under the handles but I'm getting used to it (just got my Escape today).
Old 06-22-12, 05:30 AM
Ridernthestorm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bike

I've been riding a Motebecane jubilee trail, front suspension and seat post, it's been a great bike, as far as pics I've got one of each bike as soon as I figure out how to post them.(?)
Old 06-22-12, 05:33 AM
Ridernthestorm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The escape rode great, just the quick has the same shifters that I'm use to, and the size was a slightly better fit, congrats on your bike and enjoy!
Old 06-22-12, 06:50 AM
Ridernthestorm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ridernthestorm
After much research and test rides finally moved from the comfort bike and bought the cannondale quick five, fit the 500 price range, was torn between giant escape 1 (didn't care for the shifters on the escape) and it, anyhow love it but definitely will need bar ends, not so much to lay down but to get pressure off shoulders (Arthur reared his ugly head on first ride), any ideas? Totally different ride from comfort bike, thought I would spin the cranks once and coast for a mile. LOL Also looking for the best online place for racks and bags, bike store bags run from 50 to 150. Thanks for any input,
Got this pic up but cant get the other to upload
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0554[1].jpg (97.7 KB, 20 views)

Last edited by Ridernthestorm; 06-22-12 at 08:09 AM.
Old 06-22-12, 09:09 AM
giantcfr1
Ha ha ha ha ha

Bikes: 2004 ORBEA Mitis2 Plus Carbon, 2007 Cannondale Bad Boy Si Disc, 2012 Trek Gary Fisher Collection Marlin WSD 29er Aldi Big Box (Polygon) 650b

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by luxo
...it's kinda weird having both of them under the handles but I'm getting used to it (just got my Escape today).
What do you mean by "having both of them under the handles"? Aren't all flatbar shifters under the handles?
I currently use shimano deore on one bike and sram on the other, and both are in the same position. Are you sure your shifters are in the correct position, in relation to your hand placement? A basic placement for your brake levers are 45 deg and shifters usually sit just under on the same angle. Of course we are all different in preference, but you can move them around accordingly.
Old 06-22-12, 09:21 AM
Ridernthestorm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yea I noticed that, the quick's are under as well I just found them easier to use, I'm sure he could move them around, its all in what you like
Old 06-22-12, 09:35 AM
luxo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I meant the upshifter separated above the break lever, so you can use your index finger rather than your thumb. Those types are quicker and more comfortable I think.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_2806.jpg (71.6 KB, 11 views)
Old 06-22-12, 10:21 AM
giantcfr1
Ha ha ha ha ha

Bikes: 2004 ORBEA Mitis2 Plus Carbon, 2007 Cannondale Bad Boy Si Disc, 2012 Trek Gary Fisher Collection Marlin WSD 29er Aldi Big Box (Polygon) 650b

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by luxo
I meant the upshifter separated above the break lever, so you can use your index finger rather than your thumb. Those types are quicker and more comfortable I think.

Ahhh, I see now. The shifter is incorporated into the brake lever. Sorry I was lost for a while and was thinking along the line of separate shifters and levers. My mistake.
Old 06-22-12, 11:12 AM
erg79

Bikes: 2012 Jamis Coda Comp; early 80s Univega Nuovo Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Most people rave about Ergon grips/bar ends, but they are rather pricey.

For racks/bags, it depends what you are looking for. Something like Ortlieb panniers are not going to be cheap, no matter where you look. Just need to shop around, see where you can find the best deal.
Old 06-22-12, 04:01 PM
bjjoondo 

Bikes: 2011 ICE Sprint Special Edition

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 66 Posts
Don't know how big of a panniner you want but we've been REALLY happy with our Sunlite, rear rack bag with small panniners attached. Yes, it's $85 dollars but you get rack bag and panniners in one unit. The panniners just "roll up" on the side of the rack bag untill you need them to carry larger or more stuff. We use the Sunlite Rear 700c rack and it's less than $30 even at our LBS and works great. Sunlite has lot's of different bags and racks and rack systems for a good price, jmho, FYI.https://sunlitecycling.com/products.php?cl1=BAGS

Last edited by bjjoondo; 06-22-12 at 04:08 PM.
Old 06-22-12, 05:15 PM
Bunnicula

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congrats on a great choice in bikes! I have a Cannondale Quick 3 so of course I'm biased.
I made the leap from a comfort bike, same as you, but now I've gone into a full carbon road bike with Ultegra. Still love my Quick 3, though.

Accessories can be found on many different sites, and prices do fluctuate. I've gotten great deals on some items from normally full price bike shop sites, like a $240 Giro Ionos helmet for $90. Bought some great Pearl Izumi shorts, lots of jerseys, cyclocomputer, Topeak bags, all on sale. Gotta love the internet!

Amazon is always a good place to start. But there are bike shop sites like Real Cyclist, Mike's Bikes, etc., and large outdoor stores like REI and Sierra Sports.