Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Centurion Serial Number Database

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Centurion Serial Number Database

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-23, 07:45 PM
msl109

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by ramzilla
Well.....................

I don't see any lugs. Looks like a butt welded steel frame to me. The chrome steel wheels with little dimples in the rim is a trademark of inexpensive bikes built in the late 70's early 80's.

The Simplex shifters & Weinmann brakes are way out place on a bike with a Centurion label. The Centurions from that era usually had SunTour or Shimano components on them.

I've bought, sold, traded and refurbished at least a dozen Centurion bikes over the last twenty years. Never seen nothing like this before. Just guessing. This bike must have been built for the European market & not sold in the US.
Agreed. I have my doubts Centurion had anything to do with this bike. Could have just been a low end French bike someone slapped Centurion decals on to resell at a time when Centurion was a known and respected name.
Maybe someone in the know can chime in on how much if any exporting Centurion (WSI) did to Europe and if they possibly used other fabricators than those they used for imports to the states.
Old 09-12-23, 08:44 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2362 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 1,191 Posts
1988 Ironman Carbon - Serial 88C0182

Old 09-29-23, 08:37 AM
Cycling Wombat

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sroller
Serial numbers and details of a couple more Centurions.

First, a 1987 Centurion 'Team Pursuit', which seems to be an Australian-only model, serial no: M7D00320

Attachment 507253

The following seems to be original equipment:
Suntour Alpha 5000 rear and front derailers
6x2 speed Suntour indexed/(or friction) shifting with Suntour Alpha 13-15-17-19-21-24 freewheel.
Sakae SA 170mm crankset with 52/42 teeth and 110mm P.C.D. There's barely any wear on either the chainrings or the cogs.
Alpha 5000 Dia Compe brake calipers.
Suntour dropouts at the rear. The front dropouts don't have any writing on them but they have holes with threads for guards.
The wheels have 36 spoke Araya 700c rims, Suzue hubs. And 28mm tyres which are probably not 29yrs old but could well be.
The headset is Tange Seiki with what looks to read: TG235
BB is some kind of unsealed lock-ring one which i should have noted when i overhauled it.
The frame is 'Tange 2' tubing, 58cm c of bb to bottom of seattube scallop and a 57cm top tube c-c. It has a 'Quality from Japan,
Designed in USA' decal. Only has bottle cage bosses on the downtube. The Suntour downtube shifters are the clamp-around-the-downtube
type, no downtube bosses, but i noticed there's an integrated small sheet of metal brazed on the underside of the downtube under the
paint for the downtube shifter clamp to lock around.
A grey plastic Suntour dork disc that has an art deco-ish type line pattern.

I have no idea what stem or handlebars or brake levers it might have had, or seatpost (i put that one on), but it also came with MKS

AR-8 pedals. They may or may not be original.

Attachment 507257

Attachment 507258
First time poster... picked up this same model (number 344 though) last week for $15. It has the drop bars though. Could not find anything about it online so was great to find this post. It is in great condition for its age. (I'm in Australia)
Old 09-29-23, 04:18 PM
Hummer

Bikes: 1981 Raleigh GP, 1985 Norco Bush Pilot, . . .

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 187 Times in 136 Posts
Originally Posted by Cycling Wombat
First time poster... picked up this same model (number 344 though) last week for $15. It has the drop bars though. Could not find anything about it online so was great to find this post. It is in great condition for its age. (I'm in Australia)
Hello and welcome to the forum.

$15 sounds like a good deal. Was the serial number M7D00344?

I think that the Team Pursuit was only from the year 1987. This model was only in Australia.

The Centurion brand name was owned by different companies in different parts of the world and these companies ordered bicycles to their own specifications. I suspect there will not be much information about your Centurion outside of Australia.
Old 09-29-23, 05:31 PM
Cycling Wombat

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hummer
Hello and welcome to the forum.

$15 sounds like a good deal. Was the serial number M7D00344?

I think that the Team Pursuit was only from the year 1987. This model was only in Australia.

The Centurion brand name was owned by different companies in different parts of the world and these companies ordered bicycles to their own specifications. I suspect there will not be much information about your Centurion outside of Australia.
Thank you!
Yep, that's the number!
Old 10-01-23, 09:24 PM
Mdl
Montedino

Bikes: Bertin, Ross Mt Hood; Schwinn Circuit

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 20 Posts
I’ll take a pic of the serial number and upload it here tomorrow. I just picked this up. I’m excited about it.