Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

REI shipping / Portland REI?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-18, 06:33 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3394 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts

Stopped by the local REI today to pick up a box. The tech let me know about their shipping program. I knew about it but never really considered it. It sort of ties your hands because you need to ship to another REI and I always though it was a little expensive.

But after thinking it over I am thinking it is a pretty decent deal. They want $120. That is to pack it up, ship it across country and build it at the other end.

I was going to have a shop build the bike at the Portland end anyway so there is that cost. I have used Portland REI before but I shipped to them. I didn't use the end to end shipping.

My two issues are getting out Portland and getting extra gear out there. I remember last time how congested it was downtown. I am fairly certain I used the store on Johnson St.. The good news is it does not look too awful far from the bike path along the river.

My other issue is how to get extra gear out there like my shoes, helmet and pannier. I'd like to avoid having to check a bag on the plan. I will need to check if they will pack up some small items for me.

Has anyone used this REI service recently? How dis it go? Did you have any issues with getting them to pack some extra items?
Old 04-19-18, 04:18 AM
3speed

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
So you take them a bike, they break it down, ship it to an REI at your destination, and that REI puts it back together for you to pick up? If I’m understanding this right, in Any other country where the airlines don’t suck, not worth it. In the US, if you’re flying, I can’t see a reason not to. It’s gonna cost you at Least $100 each way anyway, and that’s with a lot of hassle on your end. It sounds like a great deal to me. I wouldn’t be surprised if they let you toss a few small items in the box with the bike, but wouldn’t be surprised if they have a policy against it either. Go ask(in person) and see what they say. As for getting out of town, what direction are you going? The MAX system is under $5 if I recall and you can wheel your bike on and be taken from downtown to 30 minutes out of town. That should get you far enough out to better biking. That’s what I did when I left from Portland toward the coast. Portland is one of the most bike friendly places you’ll find. If you can’t figure out a comfortable route, you’re missing something. Google maps bike directions might do the trick perfectly.

Last edited by 3speed; 04-19-18 at 04:27 AM.
Old 04-19-18, 04:38 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 754 Times in 560 Posts
When I tried to use them to get a bike home after a tour, they quoted me a price that would have been great if it included the actual shipping costs, but they were still going to use UPS or FedEx and pass that cost on to me. Given that, I accepted a free box that they offered and packed and shipped it myself.

At the time (a few years ago) they said the policy of not using their own shipping network and passing UPS costs on was new. Have they changed back again?
Old 04-19-18, 06:08 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,525 Times in 7,325 Posts
I have shipped my bike myself to the Missoula REI for re-assembly three times since 2014, including last year. I didn't have to ship from another REI. I simply had a LBS pack my bike, racks, stove and fuel bottle in my box. Bought the FedEx shipping myself from bikeflights.com. There is a FedEx/Kinko's place around the corner from the LBS. They carried the boxed bike over there.

In Missoula, REI assembled and tuned the bike for $40. They also held my box and bag that I used for gear until the end of the tour. For the return trip, I gave them the bike, racks, stove and fuel bottle and return shipping label I got through Bikeflights. $40 for boxing the bike.

You should call the Portland REI and see if you can do the above. Don't see what difference how you get the bike there would make.
Old 04-19-18, 06:39 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by 3speed
Any other country where the airlines don’t suck, not worth it.
Having been to other countries where the airlines don't suck in American minds (but truly suck only a tiny bit less, because I generally follow all the same rules but at least get free beer for my trouble), I'd take $120 any day to drop my bike off assembled and have them do all the work on both ends plus deal with shipping. Especially so if doing a one way trip.

Originally Posted by spinnaker
My two issues are getting out Portland and getting extra gear out there. I remember last time how congested it was downtown. I am fairly certain I used the store on Johnson St.. The good news is it does not look too awful far from the bike path along the river.

My other issue is how to get extra gear out there like my shoes, helmet and pannier. I'd like to avoid having to check a bag on the plan. I will need to check if they will pack up some small items for me.
Looks like there are four REIs in Portland (I assume Oregon). Are any of the other ones in the direction you are headed? They look like they are far more on the outskirts.

As far as the gear, how much stuff are you taking? I can fit clothing for a week in Europe in a carryon. If not, it is not really that bad to check a bag, as much as I may never want to sometimes the $25 is worth it.
Old 04-19-18, 07:37 AM
Rob_E

Bikes: Downtube 8H, Surly Troll

Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 21 Posts
I will have to look into this. I swear the last time I looked at it, it was prohibitively more expensive than taking the bike on the plane. But then I have always managed to get my bike down to luggage size, so maybe that's why it seemed so expensive. Planning a trip this fall where having REI ship the bike for $120 vs me doing the assembly, dissassembly, and lugging it around the airport for $100? That's $20 I'm happy to part with.
Old 04-19-18, 07:59 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,525 Times in 7,325 Posts
Originally Posted by Rob_E
Planning a trip this fall where having REI ship the bike for $120 vs me doing the assembly, dissassembly, and lugging it around the airport for $100? That's $20 I'm happy to part with.
That's the way I look at it. The airlines wanted $175 for the bike. I paid $75 to have it boxed with all sorts of protective materials. (LBS labor on the east coast is more expensive than in other places.) Shipping with insurance via Bikeflights.com was around $75. Assembly on the other end was $40. For $25 more I eliminated the need to do all that you mention, plus I had someone to hold my bike box and luggage. At the end of the tour, I deliver the bike, etc., to REI (or whatever shop I use), pick up my luggage and go have a beer. When I called the Missoula REI to make arrangements for my third trip the guy even remembered my name. He also lets me use their repair stand to install my racks, which I prefer to do myself.

Also, no need to make sure I can get a minivan cab to and from the airport. The last time I flew with a bike that was an issue when I arrived back in town.
Old 04-19-18, 10:22 AM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Originally Posted by staehpj1
When I tried to use them to get a bike home after a tour, they quoted me a price that would have been great if it included the actual shipping costs, but they were still going to use UPS or FedEx and pass that cost on to me. Given that, I accepted a free box that they offered and packed and shipped it myself.

At the time (a few years ago) they said the policy of not using their own shipping network and passing UPS costs on was new. Have they changed back again?

They claim that includes shipping. But I will double check. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 04-19-18, 10:27 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Portland, Oregon has about 100 bike shops to use instead.. leave it in the box ans schlep it to a bus, one goes to Newport, Tillamook, and Clatsop county. or Eugene, down I-5

My LBS, out here, has a $50, build from a shipping carton fee, $ 10 to receive and hold a 'do not assemble' bike box for a DIY assembly ,

in a corner of the shop with the community shared tools..

When ending tour, another $50 for recycled, Box, packing , then + shipping.. they use Bike Flights - Fed Ex, now..

Last edited by fietsbob; 04-19-18 at 11:53 AM.
Old 04-19-18, 10:29 AM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Originally Posted by jefnvk
Looks like there are four REIs in Portland (I assume Oregon). Are any of the other ones in the direction you are headed? They look like they are far more on the outskirts.

As far as the gear, how much stuff are you taking? I can fit clothing for a week in Europe in a carryon. If not, it is not really that bad to check a bag, as much as I may never want to sometimes the $25 is worth it.
There is really only on in the city. On NW Johnson St.

Bulky stuff like shoes and helmet. And things you need to check like tools (which has a knife) but that will likely be in my saddlebag anyway which will be on the bike. And I like to take 2 panniers. I can get into one but a lot easier to find things if you break it up.
Old 04-19-18, 10:33 AM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Originally Posted by Rob_E
I will have to look into this. I swear the last time I looked at it, it was prohibitively more expensive than taking the bike on the plane. But then I have always managed to get my bike down to luggage size, so maybe that's why it seemed so expensive. Planning a trip this fall where having REI ship the bike for $120 vs me doing the assembly, dissassembly, and lugging it around the airport for $100? That's $20 I'm happy to part with.

I always ship ahead when traveling inside the US.

1. Usually cheaper.

2. You don't need to drag a bike in a box around the airport

3. Ship well ahead of time and you are certain it will be there when you get there.

4. Pay just a little more and it can be ready to go for you when you arrive. This might make it more or equal to flying but again it is just an additional option.
Old 04-19-18, 10:51 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
There is really only on in the city. On NW Johnson St.
Oh, I simply meant if one of those other stores around Portland were in a direction you were heading anyways, might be worth it to ship it there and get out of the city easier.
Old 04-19-18, 11:20 AM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
Oh, I simply meant if one of those other stores around Portland were in a direction you were heading anyways, might be worth it to ship it there and get out of the city easier.
There is an REI in Tualitan, just south of the Portland metro area. It is the one I generally use in the Portland area, and is much more accessible. However, it may be harder to get to there with public transportation. Public transportation is good from the airport to downtown. Portland is a bike friendly city, and riding through it is not a problem. My wife and I have ridden home a couple of times from the airport which is most of the route the OP will be riding. We live a little northeast of Eugene.
Old 04-19-18, 11:23 AM
Doug64

I always ship ahead when traveling inside the US.

1. Usually cheaper.

2. You don't need to drag a bike in a box around the airport

3. Ship well ahead of time and you are certain it will be there when you get there.

4. Pay just a little more and it can be ready to go for you when you arrive. This might make it more or equal to flying but again it is just an additional option.
There is no need to drag a bike around

Old 04-19-18, 11:36 AM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

If I don't go with REI, I will likely go with Riverside Bikes. It is across the river and out of the city center. I would assume a little less congested there.
Old 04-19-18, 11:39 AM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Originally Posted by Doug64
There is no need to drag a bike around

OK roll a bike around.
Old 04-19-18, 11:52 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Yea, 2 more REI in the portland metro-burbs.
Old 04-19-18, 02:30 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Looks like shipping is included in the $120 price.

https://forums.adventurecycling.org/...p?topic=7221.0

But I think the one poster is mistaken. Said $60 each way. I bet he meant $50 at each end. Funny he was shipping from Pittsburgh too.
Old 04-20-18, 04:48 AM
staehpj1

Looks like shipping is included in the $120 price.

https://forums.adventurecycling.org/...p?topic=7221.0

But I think the one poster is mistaken. Said $60 each way. I bet he meant $50 at each end. Funny he was shipping from Pittsburgh too.
That link is to an old post. It was over five years ago and two years before I was told that (in person at the Denver store) that they would box the bike and ship it, but I would pay the UPS or FedEx. I said no thank you, accepted the free box they offered and packed and shipped it myself.

At that time there did seem to be some confusion about the policy. The guy initially thought he could help me, but upon checking with management found that the bike would go fedex or ups on my dime.

I have had good luck with having a bike shop box and ship my bike to get home from tours. It has generally run right around $100 ($40-60 for packing and $40-60 for UPS).

On the way to a tour, I like to fly with my bike. It has been $75 on my more recent tours with no other baggage charges. I fly Southwest because they have a decent bike policy. I like to fly with the bike because I like riding right out of the airport without worrying about getting to a bike shop or REI when they are open.
Old 04-20-18, 11:25 AM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

That link is to an old post. It was over five years ago and two years before I was told that (in person at the Denver store) that they would box the bike and ship it, but I would pay the UPS or FedEx. I said no thank you, accepted the free box they offered and packed and shipped it myself.

At that time there did seem to be some confusion about the policy. The guy initially thought he could help me, but upon checking with management found that the bike would go fedex or ups on my dime.
$120 for disassemble, ship and then reassemble does seem way too good to be true. They have a box on hold for me. I need to stop by to pick it up. I could ask then. Or I might stop by on this afternoon's ride

I have had good luck with having a bike shop box and ship my bike to get home from tours. It has generally run right around $100 ($40-60 for packing and $40-60 for UPS).

On the way to a tour, I like to fly with my bike. It has been $75 on my more recent tours with no other baggage charges. I fly Southwest because they have a decent bike policy. I like to fly with the bike because I like riding right out of the airport without worrying about getting to a bike shop or REI when they are open.
Riding out of the airport does have its advantages. But then again you have to take the time to build the thing when you get there.

I like SW's bike policy but I HATE their boarding policy. I am flying Delta and paying extra for a roomier assigned seat. Probably costing me a hundred or two more over SW but I figure my comfort is worth that.

Last edited by spinnaker; 04-20-18 at 04:40 PM.
Old 04-20-18, 04:43 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Stopped in today. It is actually $50 at each end. And you pay for shipping. It ws too good to be true.

I will just pack it myself and ship to Riverside. That way I stay out of downtown.
Old 04-20-18, 06:16 PM
staehpj1

Stopped in today. It is actually $50 at each end. And you pay for shipping. It ws too good to be true.

I will just pack it myself and ship to Riverside. That way I stay out of downtown.
One thing to consider... I have generally found that bike shops and other businesses seem to get a much better rate for shipping than I was ever directly quoted by FedEx or UPS. Going to a UPS store resulted in a very high price in every case I tried that. I'd guess that REI would at least get a good shipping rate from UPS or FedEx.

As far as the $50 on each end... That is about what you will pay at most bike shops. I have generally paid between $40 and $60 for a bike shop to pack my bike and handle shipping the bike home for me. Of course I paid the UPS tab, but it was always way less than I have ever been quoted at a UPS store.

The companies that offer bike shipping are pretty cheap. Bikeflights or shipbikes look like a good deal.
Old 04-20-18, 06:34 PM
chrisx

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Riverside is a little out of the way in the shadow of the Morrison bridge on the other side of the river from down town.
Not so convient for walking or bus from the airport. Are you planning to leave town on the bike path same day? If you say where you plan to sleep the first night, someone might know of a more convient bike shop to get to on the light rail. Riverside is a high end bike shop if you need some expensive parts or something. I almost called it a badneighborhood, but if you live in Pittsburgh, you have seen much worse.

Old 04-20-18, 09:05 PM
Doug64

Are you guys talking about River City? We have purchased 2 bikes from them, and I have been very satisfied with their service.

I was there a few weeks ago killing a little time while my wife was at a conference in Portland. I was roaming around the "neighborhood" taking pictures while waiting for the shop to open. I did not feel threatened by anything or anybody around there.

It is right on the Streetcar line.

Old 04-21-18, 05:33 AM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Originally Posted by chrisx
Riverside is a little out of the way in the shadow of the Morrison bridge on the other side of the river from down town.
Not so convient for walking or bus from the airport. Are you planning to leave town on the bike path same day? If you say where you plan to sleep the first night, someone might know of a more convient bike shop to get to on the light rail. Riverside is a high end bike shop if you need some expensive parts or something. I almost called it a badneighborhood, but if you live in Pittsburgh, you have seen much worse.
I actually have another thread about Portland shops but might as well continue here.

I already crossed River City off of the list. They might be good but way too expensive and they refused to give me a definitive price, anywhere from $60-$100. They want $20 just to attach a fender!

I checked out Cycle Portland. They have a shop. They said they could receive my bike and build it for $45. I am going to call back and confirm when I am closer in. They are within feet of the MAX red line so very convenient. Plus Cycle Portland is right in or near China Town so there are opportunities for lunch there.

If I am not confident with Cycle Portland, I will go with REI. I have used them before. My only issue there is they are more buried in the city and not as convenient to a single Max line. Last time I was there, I was dropped right off at the door by a Warmshowers host that I did a favor for when she was here in Pittsburgh, so it was real easy.

After I pickup the bike I will be riding to Oregon City. Probably along the river to start then I will jump on the Trolley Trail for a bit more of the way. I might stop into the rail museum along the way.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.