Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Mountain - Plains
Reload this Page >

Theodore Roosevelt National Park

Search
Notices
Mountain - Plains Colorado | Kansas | Missouri | Montana | North Dakota | Nebraska | South Dakota | Utah | Wyoming

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-17, 07:19 PM
jono_

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm from Winnipeg, Canada, where my regular ride is about 60km with about 15m of climbing, according to Strava. I'm looking for some lumpier and more scenic riding within a day's drive or so. Has anyone done any road riding in Theodore Roosevelt National Park in North Dakota (either South or North Unit)? Looks like there's some good riding there from Strava and Google Maps but I was hoping someone here might be able to tell me if it's worth the trip.

I understand there's good mountain biking in the area too but I don't have one of those in my stable.
Old 05-10-17, 11:14 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,582 Times in 7,337 Posts
Never been there, but I believe in the South Unit E. River Rd. and the Scenic Loop Drive are the only paved roads in the park itself. You can see them on Street View. Looks nice. I was considering doing CANDISC a while back, during a year when it went to the park. The show in Medora is supposed to be fun.

North Unit appears to have only one road (Scenic Drive). Street View shows it as paved.
Old 05-10-17, 02:37 PM
jono_

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Never been there, but I believe in the South Unit E. River Rd. and the Scenic Loop Drive are the only paved roads in the park itself. You can see them on Street View. Looks nice. I was considering doing CANDISC a while back, during a year when it went to the park. The show in Medora is supposed to be fun.

North Unit appears to have only one road (Scenic Drive). Street View shows it as paved.
I believe you're right about paved roads, except for a short (less than a mile, it seems) climb up to Buck Hill off of the south east portion of Scenic Loop Drive.

I'm fine with riding some dirt roads and gravel if necessary, but the Scenic Loop on its own (once in each direction maybe) is a good start for a ride. I'm a bit worried about running into a herd of bison, but that comes with the territory I guess.
Old 05-23-17, 10:58 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,582 Times in 7,337 Posts
Originally Posted by jono_
I'm a bit worried about running into a herd of bison, but that comes with the territory I guess.

Just don't approach them if you do. Rode by a bunch in Wind Cave N.P. and Custer S.P. in the Black Hills a few years ago. They are pretty tame unless they feel molested. More protective when with calves. They kill and injure far more people than bears in Yellowstone. Despite the warnings plastered all over the park, people invariably want a picture next to the giant, docile seeming "cow." Bad idea. Their heads are like wrecking balls.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
bison.jpg (97.7 KB, 59 views)
Old 05-24-17, 08:54 AM
valygrl

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
paging @jamawani
Old 11-09-17, 10:47 AM
davesupra

Bikes: '22 Trek Checkpoint SL5, '21 Salsa Spearfish/'13 9ZERO7 Fatty/'16 Salsa Fargo

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by jono_
I'm from Winnipeg, Canada, where my regular ride is about 60km with about 15m of climbing, according to Strava. I'm looking for some lumpier and more scenic riding within a day's drive or so. Has anyone done any road riding in Theodore Roosevelt National Park in North Dakota (either South or North Unit)? Looks like there's some good riding there from Strava and Google Maps but I was hoping someone here might be able to tell me if it's worth the trip.

I understand there's good mountain biking in the area too but I don't have one of those in my stable.
I know this is very late, but might help others. There is a paved road (East River Road) going into the park at Medora that has great views and a fair amount of elevation. It's a narrow road without much shoulder but the traffic is slow and typically isn't too bad.
https://www.google.com/maps/@46.9206...!7i3328!8i1664

If you are set up to ride gravel, there are many great gravel roads in either the north or south units. Pick a scenic spot and go. Again, you'll have to watch for traffic but with the oil boom slowing the traffic isn't too bad.

Last edited by davesupra; 11-09-17 at 10:50 AM.