Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > Masters Racing (All Disciplines)
Reload this Page >

Training for Racing All Disciplines

Search
Notices
Masters Racing (All Disciplines) Race on the track or road or on your mountainbike in the Masters Category? Want to talk tactics, strategy and training with your peers?

Training for Racing All Disciplines

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-17, 09:46 PM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

Bikes: Yes.

Mentioned: 228 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 4 Posts
Night shift last night, we had no calls. I layed down at 11PM and was completely oblivious until 0530 this morning. That NEVER happens, what i get while on night shift at work can not be termed sleep, but it was last night. I guess I was tired?

After the shift, I sat through 6 hours of classes, and then the gal who was teaching them and I got our bikes and did a simple, joyful, ride. She's a badass former downhill racer, is wanting to move over to road, and she wanted to ride with me before she goes hunting for a team to hook up with. We had a good time! She's definitely an endurance type, super strong, and she has great form. Lots of laughs, lots of smiles, just a nice time.
Old 07-08-17, 09:42 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1341 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
Friday, VSC workout. Warmup on the track with three others versus the rollers no motor - 40 laps of continuous increasing speed. Two jumps - one climbing the the banking and the other off the balustrade. I did these with my 20 something training partner. I prefer the roller warmup to the track. I think the track warmups reduce the peak force that muscles can make even though they are fun and feel good. They are just too hard especially without the motor.

2xflying 200 meters 96 and 98 gear inches. I was pretty tired after two days and not a lot of punch in the final flying 200.
Old 07-08-17, 09:55 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Friday, the session before mine had a group of juniors training with their coach. They were doing 500 meter chase the motor from a standing start. My goodness, how does one not get good at a sport with a coach, experienced motor operator and assistant. The juniors did 6 reps. This racer is a young woman.

I did the same thing Thursday.

Old 07-08-17, 12:40 PM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
Openers for me today, racing a 20K TT tomorrow in Piru. The forecast temp at the 9am race start is 87F. It will be an exercise in heat management.

@sarals, when I was in Big Bear, I was riding with some friends who are constantly using their HRMs to be sure their HR is not "too high". I don't get that but the whole thing was just so chill and throttled down and mellow, it was really quite pleasant for vacation riding. Sometimes these 'just for fun' rides completely hit the spot.
Old 07-08-17, 07:51 PM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

Bikes: Yes.

Mentioned: 228 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 4 Posts
@Heathpack, they DO hit the spot!

Legs were total cement today. I know it's the after effects of the strength workout with the machines. I've never experienced the sort of stiffness and ache my legs exhibited today. I could feel isolated muscles, and they tied up and never let go. I sucked it up and rode. That's what it's about.
Old 07-09-17, 05:52 AM
valygrl

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Heathpack
Openers for me today, racing a 20K TT tomorrow in Piru. The forecast temp at the 9am race start is 87F....
Kill it!!!
Old 07-09-17, 07:24 PM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 120 Posts
Tempo work today:

Up = On
Down = Off

80-90 Rpm w/ the HRM to uh, "monitor heat rate"?
Short, sharp and hopefully effective.

-Bandera
Old 07-10-17, 08:46 AM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Rode the TT bike this am as a warm up for a strength/core workout. Some magical drops of liquid fell from the sky onto me. Aka rain. Got home and the news was talking of "monsoon flow". Wut? Am I not in LA anymore??

Then during strength workout- thunder and lightning. Puppy was freaked out, WTF, she has never experienced $hit like that before.

Old 07-10-17, 09:09 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

It rained briefly at SD Velodrome during my workout and I cut the W/O short due to new asphalt and potential oil/water mixture. One round of thunder.

I got to do a fast effort in the pole lane. The track smoothness is inconsistent. I could argue either way that it is better or worse than it was previously. I think it is competitive with Trexlertown, Hellyer and Marymoore. At least it is finished and open for business.
Old 07-11-17, 08:47 AM
IBOHUNT

Bikes: Motobecane Fantom Cross; Cannondale Supersix replaced the Giant TCR which came to an untimely death by truck

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 10 Posts
Got a bunch of life, work and vehicle-related stuff (Wife totaled the "good" truck which was a 1997 S-10 with only 248K miles on it. My 85 was on the verge of having an oil pan failure so I rebuilt the motor and trans in that) out of the way so I got back on the TT bike Sunday for a TSTLP and a bunch of Pace. First time on that bike since the late April accident. Disappointed in the number I got but knew it would be around there with as little as I have been riding; maybe 300 miles since the end of April.

Bailing hay intervals tonight

40K ITT on Saturday. My prediction is to get passed by some lady using a walker.
Old 07-11-17, 10:27 AM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Originally Posted by IBOHUNT
Got a bunch of life, work and vehicle-related stuff (Wife totaled the "good" truck which was a 1997 S-10 with only 248K miles on it. My 85 was on the verge of having an oil pan failure so I rebuilt the motor and trans in that) out of the way so I got back on the TT bike Sunday for a TSTLP and a bunch of Pace. First time on that bike since the late April accident. Disappointed in the number I got but knew it would be around there with as little as I have been riding; maybe 300 miles since the end of April.

40K ITT on Saturday. My prediction is to get passed by some lady using a walker.

Good luck with your race! Glad to see your back on the bike.
Old 07-11-17, 11:08 AM
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien

Mentioned: 158 Post(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Got a bunch of life, work and vehicle-related stuff (Wife totaled the "good" truck which was a 1997 S-10 with only 248K miles on it.
So young to go.

So very young.

Aero or road helmet?

I've submitted that they should ban those tennis balls on the feet. Unfair advantage for sure.

Going to the gym in a few to throw some weights. Supposed to race the local crit tonight but we have yet another fire just north of us that's putting out a lot of smoke. I-80 is closed at the California border. We will see where things are at this afternoon, but this is the second day this thing's been going and they only have 5% containment.
Old 07-11-17, 11:18 AM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Racer Ex
I've submitted that they should ban those tennis balls on the feet. Unfair advantage for sure.
If she's racing Masters, I'd have someone to race with. I've got those "doper balls" on my walker too.

Demain, on roule!
Old 07-11-17, 11:26 AM
IBOHUNT

Bikes: Motobecane Fantom Cross; Cannondale Supersix replaced the Giant TCR which came to an untimely death by truck

Originally Posted by Heathpack
Good luck with your race! Glad to see your back on the bike.
Thanks on both accounts
Old 07-11-17, 12:01 PM
IBOHUNT

So young to go.

So very young.
The 2014 F-150 that got turned on its side and spun around came to the same fate.

Not sure how many miles I had on the 85 motor. It had only been knocking (rod) for 2 years. Figured now was the time to build a new powerplant based on what I had built many of back in the mid 80's

Aero or road helmet?
Giro Synthe I won at an ITT two years ago. Aero would be too hot.
Side note: The bike shop that sponsors the team asked me if I just wanted to buy helmets in bulk...

Going to the gym in a few to throw some weights. Supposed to race the local crit tonight but we have yet another fire just north of us that's putting out a lot of smoke. I-80 is closed at the California border. We will see where things are at this afternoon, but this is the second day this thing's been going and they only have 5% containment.
second hand smoke is bad.
Old 07-11-17, 03:22 PM
IBOHUNT

Originally Posted by revchuck
If she's racing Masters, I'd have someone to race with. I've got those "doper balls" on my walker too.
Do you have an aero basket on the front?
Old 07-11-17, 06:17 PM
revchuck 
OMC

Not yet!

Demain, on roule!
Old 07-12-17, 10:11 AM
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien

Weights in the AM, TNW for training in the evening. Did take a cash prime, then went out to dinner with Mrs. Ex and her Dad. Legs a bit ouchy this morning.
Old 07-12-17, 10:55 AM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 120 Posts
Mon: Recovery ride
Tue: Chores ( gotta eat )
Today: Tempo work 80-90 Rpm Up=On, Down=Off
Tomorrow: 1-2 hrs FG on a flat-ish Loop ( depending on wind conditions )

-Bandera
Old 07-13-17, 08:50 AM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Not sure where I left off...

Monday was a strength workout for me, core and the like.

Tuesday I was off. Very sore from the strength workout, especially the lateral aspect of my flutes and my hamstrings. Mega busy at work, scrambling to get everything done & worked late on Tues. No time to do any of the useful corrective things- foam roller, stretching- to help with the soreness.

Yesterday I had a solo TT workout, the crux of which was several 5 min 114% intervals. Usually I like the challenge of these, but I started the first one and just felt sore and distracted and tired. Missed the target by a good margin. Not too promising but I figured I'd give the second one a whirl. A minute in, my brain was done. Hit the lap button and rode home.

Today was a climbing tempo ride on the TT bike. I woke up a little early to get some stretching in, so tired. Even I didn't feel like riding and certainly not climbing on the TT bike. But I was meeting people and it was just a tempo ride, might as well see how it felt.

Ugh, it did not feel great. Because I was just riding tempo, I got smoked by my friends on the hills. But I was like "why y'all riding so slow?" once we got to the flats, haha it's striking how much faster you can be even on moderate power output when you're not sitting bolt upright.

For the climbs, I was just so sore in the hamstrings, esp the left one. It became uncomfortable enough by the third hill, that I actually had to sit up for the last 25ish % of the hill.

Clicked the TT bike odometer over 5000 miles today. That's in just under 2 years.

Despite all that, very glad I rode. Fun chatting at coffee afterwards, it was really nice and relaxed. I'm off Fri-Sat-Sun, massage tomorrow for sure and a day off the bike to stretch and generally do myself some good.

Right now a tentative but delicious plan to mountain bike with some friends on Sat.

Looking forward to the weekend, just one more work stressor to get through- an article I need to write that's actually due today. I haven't started it yet, got an extension til Mon. It will only take me an hour or two if I don't dither & just get it done.
Old 07-13-17, 11:17 AM
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien

Sharing the soreness. Still gummy from Tuesday's thrashing. Did a really long stretch and roll last night. Bit better this morning.

Schedule today was to go race. Tonight's a circuit race which is mostly 7-9% up or down, hour drive each way. My bike with the climbing gears is in the shop, thinking this may be a fool's errand. So need to figure out plan B. I would go mountain bike but that's headed into the shop today as well.

Hmmmm.
Old 07-13-17, 12:11 PM
revchuck 
OMC

@racerEx - Sleep, preceded by bourbon?

First PT session today. 25 minutes to fill out paperwork, then about an hour of various exercises and a couple of stretches. It felt so good to use those muscles again. The PT told me that if all goes well I may be able to transition to a cane in 2-3 weeks, which of course brought this to mind:

I spoke with Coach when I got back and we're putting my account on hold for a month. I have a follow-up appointment with my osteo doc on August 8 and I'm going to lobby hard to let me get on the trainer. I can't believe I just wrote that. If that comes to pass, we'll start the account back up. I'm getting pretty antsy to get back on the bike.

Tentative goal is El Tour de Tucson on November 18; two weekends prior to that is the local two-century weekend as a train-up. Coach cautioned me that it's going to take longer than that to get back to my prior level of fitness, but doing El Tour shouldn't be a problem. And of course, I'm not going to Tucson just to ride for one day!

This is probably the most positive I've felt since the crash. 'Bout time!

Demain, on roule!
Old 07-13-17, 12:21 PM
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien

Mojito induced TDF watching rest period didn't help all that much.

Hope you're back up and running soon Chuck. Hate seeing you dinged up.
Old 07-13-17, 05:44 PM
echappist
fuggitivo solitario

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts

Good to hear that you are back racing. Good luck on Saturday
Sharing the soreness. Still gummy from Tuesday's thrashing. Did a really long stretch and roll last night. Bit better this morning.

Schedule today was to go race. Tonight's a circuit race which is mostly 7-9% up or down, hour drive each way. My bike with the climbing gears is in the shop, thinking this may be a fool's errand. So need to figure out plan B. I would go mountain bike but that's headed into the shop today as well.

Hmmmm.
amateur; i thought you did your own wrenching
Old 07-13-17, 06:24 PM
IBOHUNT

Originally Posted by echappist
Good to hear that you are back racing. Good luck on Saturday
Will you be at Church Creek?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.