Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Bike trainers and stationary bikes

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-17, 02:48 AM
sideshow

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I just learned about bike trainers and stationary bikes that have street view of real roads, being able to ride with other people, and even race them. I'm putting together a garage gym, and love this idea, from what I'm understanding some of these can be put on a flat screen,and that some will adjust themselves to the place your riding with resistance automaticly. I don't know which are the best ones made with the best graphics, and closest to a real ride. I'm leaning towards a trainer, so I can use my bike. I'll probably be looking for used maybe 2-3 years old. Any advice would be appreciated. My riding habits are mostly long rides,not really racing, just enjoying the scenery.
Old 07-24-17, 04:55 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Your best bet is to put your bicycle on rollers.

Next best is to put your bicycle onto a trainer.

Next up are spin bikes ... real spin bikes.

And finally, somewhere down the list, are stationary bikes.

If you want to ride with others etc. etc. ... look at Zwift. There might be others, but I think Zwift is the main one.

Personally, I've got my bicycle on a trainer, and I do commercial intervals with it. But I toy with the idea of getting Zwift at some point.
Old 07-24-17, 08:51 AM
Quiglesnbits

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
CycleOps app lets you sync your ride to real world locations. You would need a speed/cadence sensor or a power meter to do this, or get a trainer that has power capability. Their website has a lot of info about what is available, and what is compatible.
https://www.cycleops.com/virtualtraining/compatibility

As far as I know Zwift is always a virtual video game world, but they have a couple of maps that mimic real life courses. You'd also need a speed/cadence sensor at a minimum. They also offer a 7 day free trial to check it out.

Trainer Road doesn't have the video, but can be pinned on a screen to allow you to watch what you want to watch, whether it's a movie, or something else. They do allow you to sync with sufferfest videos, or at least used to.

Sufferfest is yet another option.

Ultimately though, none of these will come with a trainer. You need to have one that is compatible with whatever training software you want to use, as well as the appropriate equipment as part of the trainer, or on your bike, to interface with these programs.

If all you want to do is go for long rides, and dont have particular training goals, I'd say look at the CycleOps Fluid 2 or the Kurt Kinetic Road Machine, paired with Zwift or with the CycleOps app.
Old 07-27-17, 09:01 AM
valygrl

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Zwift and a smart trainer.
Old 07-27-17, 11:47 AM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
if you want self adjusting resistance, wahoo is where it is at
Old 07-30-17, 03:55 PM
Athens80

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
Read in depth from Ray Maker's top notch blog:

2016-2017 Trainer App In-Depth Guide

2016-2017 Bike Trainer Recommendations

and some older hardware here:
2014-2015 Bike Trainer Recommendations

My own recommendation would be Zwift running on a PC, Mac or recent iOS device, paired with your own bike and a smart trainer of your choice. Zwift allows you to run all the programmed workouts you'd like, and has progressive training plans built-in. You can build or borrow new workouts easily.

TrainerRoad is devoted to progessive training plans, and has a rich library built in that could keep you well occupied year after year.

There are other apps like TrainerRoad, and a few others somewhat like Zwift. There's a third variety, which provide video and programmed resistance for many real world courses.

I like Zwift because for me, and hundreds of others at any hour 24/7/365, it provides a social experience that transforms the home workout room into a group ride or race whenever you want. For me, that is a richer experience day after day than a variety of real world courses, and more motivational than a solo workout in the garage. The software is good, but the network effect -- the fact that there are hundreds of other real live people (or thousands) riding on the same course around you -- is what makes me return to it time after time. And if you use Strava, your rides will upload to Strava as a virtual ride, complete with segment records, etc.

I've done TrainerRoad, and I've done real world software, and I've tried several others. Each has its strengths and I'll do a real world ride (like Flanders or Alpe d'Huez) from time to time, to get a reminder of what the pros are riding. Different people will prefer different software.
Old 07-30-17, 08:21 PM
PM City

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
Your best bet is to put your bicycle on rollers.

Next best is to put your bicycle onto a trainer.

Next up are spin bikes ... real spin bikes.

And finally, somewhere down the list, are stationary bikes.
I use all of these and agree 100% with the order. Smart trainers are great and have put many an interval session on my Kickr, but I just like the natural feel you get from rollers. More realistic road feel. Anyway...
Old 07-31-17, 06:20 AM
Athens80

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by sideshow
...My riding habits are mostly long rides,not really racing, just enjoying the scenery.
Youtube hosts ride videos filmed around the world. An example is
which User "Indoor Cycling Videos" published two days ago.

Here's a search for more: youtube cycling videos for indoor training.
Old 08-24-17, 09:33 AM
hwscott2

Bikes: 2017 Matte Black Trek FX2

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am just getting into the trainer world. I have been demoing the virtual trainer from Bkool and it is pretty awesome so far.

It is the same price a Zwift but you can do velodrome games, 3d, 2d, and video courses. It also allows you to do standalone workouts or join a class.

Admittedly, it is not as social as Zwift as its user base is not as large, but you can have your friends join, create clubs, and all ride together.

The big kicker for me was the ability to upload .gpx routes. I am preparing for a ride out of state and I will have the ability to ride that course to practice before I get there. So far the uploaded routes appear to be 2d, but you can still have others ride with you.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-25-17, 06:46 AM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
Originally Posted by hwscott2
I am just getting into the trainer world. I have been demoing the virtual trainer from Bkool and it is pretty awesome so far.

It is the same price a Zwift but you can do velodrome games, 3d, 2d, and video courses. It also allows you to do standalone workouts or join a class.

Admittedly, it is not as social as Zwift as its user base is not as large, but you can have your friends join, create clubs, and all ride together.

The big kicker for me was the ability to upload .gpx routes. I am preparing for a ride out of state and I will have the ability to ride that course to practice before I get there. So far the uploaded routes appear to be 2d, but you can still have others ride with you.

Hope this helps.
Just curious, which model Bkool trainer are you using, I noticed there are two. Wondering about difference in functionality between the two.
Old 08-25-17, 12:54 PM
hwscott2

Bikes: 2017 Matte Black Trek FX2

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg
Just curious, which model Bkool trainer are you using, I noticed there are two. Wondering about difference in functionality between the two.
I am actually using the newest version of the Tacx Flow (T2240) and the Bkool software. I stole the trainer from Na$hbar for $330 delivered. It even came with the Ant+ USB adapter included (apparently it has not always, so be careful) so it hooks right up to my laptop.

It is now basically identical to the Vortex with the major difference is Flow=800W and 6% max grade where the Vortex=950W and 7%.

Sorry if my last post was misleading.
Old 08-29-17, 01:17 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
I own SportsCrafters Overdrive Pro rollers with progressive resistance.
The Overdrive drum contains magnets which move inside the drum increasing resistance as speed increases. These easily allow threshold and interval workouts.

Smart rollers exist but they are not ready for prime time.

-Tim-
Old 08-31-17, 09:54 AM
kcjc

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 34 Posts
I don't know which are the best ones made with the best graphics, and closest to a real ride.
Use a PC or Mac to connect to the TV. The graphic card will control the quality of the display. Realism of the ride will depend on the trainer and for that you'll want a smart trainer that can adjust the resistance based on course. There are number of software products but I like Zwift. See https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2016/11/...pps-guide.html for mature products. There's a few home-brew if you have time to play with configurations.

I'm leaning towards a trainer, so I can use my bike. I'll probably be looking for used maybe 2-3 years old. Any advice would be appreciated.
For full interactive, there should be plenty of used gen 1 kickr. Make sure you install the latest firmware that shut off the strain gauge. Check the belt and motor to see if it's in good shape. Skip the Bluetooth. I wouldn't bother with other wheel-on used unless you know the full history.

Non-interactive, get a fluid trainer. Kurt Kinetic is bomb proof and has a good road feel.

Check out Elite Direto, it's a good mid-range full interactive direct mount. Budget depending but a very good value if your are after power accuracy and consistency, and ease of maintenance (no spin downs or calibration before rides and constant firmware updates).

Rollers if you want work on your handling and spin. Conditioning is questionable especially if you cannot increase resistance. Spin bike is a waste of money if your are after realism (e.g. road feel, same goes with rollers). Stationary, Wattbike but they are pricey.
Old 09-02-17, 10:47 AM
awesomeame

Bikes: 2018 Trek Emonda SL w/Vision metron 40 wheelset, ultegra gruppa. 2010 Intense Tracer VP

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
OMFG, I never knew about Zwift until now. That looks like the best video game around! Must get smart trainer....

Matt
Old 09-02-17, 04:24 PM
PM City

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by awesomeame
OMFG, I never knew about Zwift until now. That looks like the best video game around! Must get smart trainer....

Matt
Where have you been? Go for it! You won't regret it. Worth every dollar.
Old 09-02-17, 04:28 PM
awesomeame

Bikes: 2018 Trek Emonda SL w/Vision metron 40 wheelset, ultegra gruppa. 2010 Intense Tracer VP

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by PM City
Where have you been? Go for it! You won't regret it. Worth every dollar.
LOL to be fair I've only had a roadbike for 5 months! And half that time it was in the shop. Over winter this will be awesome! I have the 70" screen here, and from demo-ing it today it looks sweeeet!

Matt
Old 09-02-17, 06:40 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Keep in mind that some manufacturer warranties don't cover the bike for failure due to being used on a trainer.

-Tim-
Old 09-04-17, 07:28 PM
joep721

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by awesomeame

Matt
Get a smart trainer and Swift - you won't regret it.
Old 01-09-18, 10:27 PM
44.5mph
Too slow

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
FulGaz ? The realistic outdoor riding experience in your own home!
Old 01-09-18, 11:27 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,939 Times in 1,384 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
I own SportsCrafters Overdrive Pro rollers with progressive resistance.
The Overdrive drum contains magnets which move inside the drum increasing resistance as speed increases. These easily allow threshold and interval workouts.

Smart rollers exist but they are not ready for prime time.

-Tim-
I've been curious if you've tried them with TrainerRoad. I have a friend who also bought a set and came over for a snow day indoor ride. She got up on them 1st time and rode smoothly. Nice rollers. Absolute terror in her eyes the first 15 minutes, though.
Old 01-10-18, 06:43 AM
ericy
Señor Member

Bikes: Giant OCR2, Trek DS 8.3

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 32 Posts
That's for Apple only.
Old 01-10-18, 07:33 AM
44.5mph
Too slow

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by ericy
That's for Apple only.
??
Why can I view the sample rides on my Windows PC?
Old 01-10-18, 08:08 AM
knitguy

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 44.5mph
??
Why can I view the sample rides on my Windows PC?
I suspect they may have gotten mixed up and meant is that you can't use it on OSX and/or that you can't use it on Android or Windows phone. I mean you could use it on a Mac if you dual boot and run Windows, but you can't use it on OSX.
Old 01-10-18, 03:31 PM
ericy
Señor Member

Bikes: Giant OCR2, Trek DS 8.3

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by knitguy
I suspect they may have gotten mixed up and meant is that you can't use it on OSX and/or that you can't use it on Android or Windows phone. I mean you could use it on a Mac if you dual boot and run Windows, but you can't use it on OSX.
All I saw we download links for apple. No android, no windows. Nothing else. I have no apple products in my house, so I stopped looking at that point
Old 01-10-18, 03:37 PM
knitguy

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My bad! When I looked it up this morning I misread the bit on their website about Windows. That's what I get for responding right after I wake up. It looks like it can only be used on iOS devices (so not even OSX). I'll skip because honestly I don't want to be using a video heavy platform on my iPad, also I'd rather just use Trainingpeaks or Zwift.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.