Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Does this bike fit? (Part 2)

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Does this bike fit? (Part 2)

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-08, 05:02 PM
alanbikehouston

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
The most important measurement in "bike fit" is the length of the cockpit...the distance from the back edge of the saddle to the front of the stem.

In your case, your "cockpit length" appears a bit too short. However, simply raising the saddle to its correct height (about one inch higher) and then sliding the saddle back on the rails one inch will increase your cockpit length by almost two inches.

Conversely, if you traded your bike for a frame that is one size larger, the top tube would have a length that is within half an inch of your current bike...a barely noticeable difference.
Old 07-15-08, 08:10 PM
karesz3

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The fit doesn't look too bad. You need to first find the proper seat height and setback (seat to bottom bracket position). A 58cm Trek is not the same as a 58cm (whatever else) because they size a little differently. It is more like a 56-57 in many other brands. I don't think that the stock size 58 Trek comes with a 100 or 90 stem. I think it is either a 110 or even a 120cm. Reach can vary greatly depending on your flexibility and riding style, but you first have to find the correct seat position to be able to figure out the optimal TT length. I know it's all confusing, but I think ultimately you will be more comfortable on this frame than a smaller one (from the pics). Also, a smaller frame would have a shorter head tube that would require additional spacers or raised stem. Don't look at what size frame the pros ride. They are much more flexible than most of us, and they often need a more drastic saddle to bar drop. They are forced to run usually a size smaller frame with 130-150 stems in certain cases. Guys (and girls) on this forum already gave you good suggestions, so try to play with seat height and for-aft position first. You should get someone to help you with the fit but not necessarily a scientific type fit. Those often tend to mimic current trends and computer models that are not always right for the individual.

Cheers
Old 07-15-08, 08:17 PM
RiverHills

Bikes: 2008 Trek 1.2

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Update: I found another LBS near my work who has a certified Trek fitter on staff. Scheduled an appointment with him today during which he put the bike on a trainer and spent almost an hour going over everything and taking measurements, etc. This is his diagnosis:

1) The frame size was NOT too big for me.
2) The saddle height was too HIGH (not too low as was the popular opinion on here, including my own). He lowered the saddle a good cm or so. This was a surprise, but part of this could have been explained by #4 below...
3) Re-adjusted the saddle front/back positioning.
4) Discovered that the tennis shoes I was wearing with toe clips were causing problems; the bulky cushioned heel of my size 12 foot (46 for you Euros) would hit the chain stay part of the frame. To compensate for this, I was pedaling with my foot rotated so that my heel was outward. This is probably what led some of you to comment that I needed to bring my knees in.

After I put on a pair of cycling shoes and he installed pedals to receive the cleats, he made the above adjustments and we were both satisfied with the reach, stand over height, and everything else. The adjustments he made were not drastic, but I think part if it was that after the original LBS got my wife's bike so wrong, perhaps I just needed someone to bestow in me some confidence in my own fit.

Thanks to all of you for your advice. I can finally rest assured that my bike is fit correctly. I'll try to put another picture or video clip up in the near future to show the difference.

Last edited by RiverHills; 07-15-08 at 08:28 PM.