Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

So I tried to order my Madone 6.9 frame about an hour ago and....

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

So I tried to order my Madone 6.9 frame about an hour ago and....

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-09, 07:53 AM
WCroadie

Bikes: 2010 Trek Madone 5.5 CAAD9

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by OCLV Assassin
I've ridden the new Madone, and I wasn't impressed. All I see out of the new technology is no advantages, less part compatibility, and about as aero as a dump truck. The seat mast is a dumb, the headset, again dumb, the bb30, yeah dumb. I liked the ride of my old Trek better. If I were you I would buy a Cervelo, mine should be here Friday!
So you ordered a new cervelo and would recommend a cervelo over a trek, shocking! And how exactly are the new madones less compatible with parts??? Besides the seatpost? The 5 and 6 series are all project one's so you get to choose all the components you want, how is that not compatible? If you are talking about the BB which trek calls BB90 not 30, you can use any crankset you want, you do not need a bb30 crankset.

When looking for a new bike I was deciding between the Supersix and the Madone, I chose the Madone, both are great bikes but I liked the madone better. Both were very close in price, Treks are not 2 or 3 times the price of other comparable they are all in the same ballpark. Do I think the Madone is the best bike out there, absolutely not, it's what I wanted so I got it. When you are talking $$$ bikes they are all great, is my madone a world of difference over the CAAD9 I was riding, nope, I can tell some difference but it's hardly night and day. Does the seat mast make a difference who knows, I can't tell. Companies are constantly coming out with changes in order to sell bikes. Cervelo's, Pinarello's, Treks, Cannondales, Felts, Giants, Ridley's etc. all their top of the line bikes are great.

Get what you want and ride the h3ll out of it.
Old 10-28-09, 07:56 AM
WCroadie

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Also the 2010 6 series come with rounded seat masts, they are different then the previous version.
Old 10-28-09, 08:18 AM
hiker88

Bikes: 2009 Waterford S-22

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
karesz3 - that was an interesting blog. If you are knowledgeable about cf frames (which I'm not) and are willing to do the home work (questionable for me) then I can see how good deals can be had.

However, it seems to me, you're going to take a hit on some of those savings when it comes to components. I know you can buy used, but for me any way, that takes away some of the allure.

For example if I were to buy that Intense for 1250 and get a SRAM red buid kit from GVH (2260 - the dura ace option doesn't seem to be working right now.) I'm looking at $3510. Then I've got to put it together or pay someone a couple hundred (I'd probably have to do that) so now I am looking at 3700.

Now, without even trying, I talked competitive cycles down to $4400 on a 2009 Cervelo S2 w/full DA. If I did da from gvh, I bet the difference would be down to about $500 in savings between the two bikes. Then as Dr. Pete pointed out, we have the warranty to consider. I see the money difference, buy hey I'm just sayin'. Do I need da? I don't know, but that is how the bike from cc comes and I'm using it as a comparison.

Truth be told, I'm a 39 year old cyclist that likes shiny things. I currently have a Waterford S22 but I am not afraid to say that I think cf race bikes look sweet and I want one. I've read about and tested so many bikes my head is spinning.

I'll probably do this. Maybe get a Ridley Noah because my 21 month old son is named Noah and he'll get a kick out of that some day. Or maybe I will get the S2 because I think Thor Hushovd is a cool guy and he's the one I picture in that video I watch in my head when I ride (come on - you all know you do it).
Old 10-28-09, 08:36 AM
roy5000x2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Methinks this topic has gone down hill a little...
Old 10-28-09, 08:51 AM
karesz3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Haha, Hiker, I see your point. The prices are very high on gruppos thanks to the distribution model. Paying extra for better support and service is OK, but that price on the S2 is a little steep. In my experience, the 2nd or even 3rd tier model in a particular group is a much better value and functions equally well. If I were in the market for Shimano and Di2 is too expensive, I'd go with Ultegra. In Sram, I think the 2010 Force looks better than Red (subjective) and functions just as well. You're right though, it's what you want, so get the Noah if you like it so much.

Cheers
Old 10-28-09, 09:04 AM
Brian Ratliff

Bikes: Three road bikes. Two track bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
My lord people. What a total pissing contest.

"My bike is better than yours!"
"No, it's not"
"Yes, it is"
"No, it's not"
"Yes, it is"
"No, yours has a 'seat mast'"
"Yours does too"
"But mine is different"
"Looks the same"
"No, it doesn't"
"Yes, it does"

Seriously. People. It's getting old to trash on Trek. When a Cervelo Uberbike owner goes out of his way to trash on someone else's purchase... well, a pinky wag might be in order. Sounds like a bit of over-compensation going on here.

BTW, if you are keeping count. Dr. Pete can piss the furthest. He wins.
OP, sounds like you caught them at a bad time, production wise, and you've got approximately 2 million frames in line ahead of you. Myself, I'd get on the web at Performance, buy the cheap aluminum road frame for about $300, and ride it until you get your Trek. Then, when the Trek arrives, build it up and keep the aluminum frame around for a cheap backup bike to be built up at your leisure. Then, with two bikes, you'll never be bikeless again.
"If you’re new enough [to racing] that you would ask such question, then i would hazard a guess that if you just made up a workout that sounded hard to do, and did it, you’d probably get faster." --the tiniest sprinter

Last edited by Brian Ratliff; 10-28-09 at 09:10 AM.
Old 10-28-09, 09:55 AM
bikeride
smell'n bacon

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have a 08 Madone. I ordered it in September 07 and got it in November 07 so I'm pretty sure I have one of the first run ones. Since then I've ridden it almost everyday. I crashed it twice. It's been dropped from the roof rack of my car. I have never babied this bike. This may sound strange but I wanted to see if this bike could hold its own the way my other aluminum bikes did. Whether because it's a well made bike or I'm a weak rider or both but after two years of abuse it's held up well.

Almost every day after a ride I clip it on a bike stand from the seat mast. I think this is how I cracked the seat cap, but don't tell Trek that. They replaced it for free. I love this bike.
Old 10-28-09, 10:04 AM
DrPete 
Dirt-riding heretic

Bikes: Lynskey R230/Red, Blue Triad SL/Red, Cannondale Scalpel 3/X9

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Brian Ratliff
Seriously. People. It's getting old to trash on Trek. When a Cervelo Uberbike owner goes out of his way to trash on someone else's purchase... well, a pinky wag might be in order. Sounds like a bit of over-compensation going on here.

BTW, if you are keeping count. Dr. Pete can piss the furthest. He wins.
Thanks, but we're talking about a potential purchase here. My whole point is that it's not like a seat mast is some make-or-break reason to buy a Trek, and that the OP has plenty of other options. But whatever--wax self-righteous if it makes you feel better.
Old 10-28-09, 10:58 AM
bumperm
bumpersoar

Bikes: Trek Madone 6.9, Trek 5000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bikeride
I have a 08 Madone.

Almost every day after a ride I clip it on a bike stand from the seat mast. I think this is how I cracked the seat cap, but don't tell Trek that. They replaced it for free. I love this bike.

Bontragger makes a special fixture that clamps around the seatpost. It's intended to prevent damage when mounting the bike to a bike stand. Think I paid about $25 for mine.
Old 10-28-09, 11:07 AM
mugatu

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't hate trek because they're common, I hate them because if I pay a lot of money for something I want to be able to look at it without vomiting. They've got all these new color schemes available and they're all awful.
The only madone I've seen that looked decent was the San Jose Hotels team bike.

get a rxr ulteam or wilier cento
Old 10-28-09, 11:24 AM
youcoming

Bikes: ParleeZ5/Parlee Chebacco/Trek Farley/Cannondale Slice/Burley Tandem

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mugatu
I don't hate trek because they're common, I hate them because if I pay a lot of money for something I want to be able to look at it without vomiting. They've got all these new color schemes available and they're all awful.
The only madone I've seen that looked decent was the San Jose Hotels team bike.

get a rxr ulteam or wilier cento
^^^^^even uglier
Old 10-28-09, 11:24 AM
FlatSix911

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by hodie21
I've looked at my buddies 2010 Madone.
The seatmast is not round. It is not as big this year as previous versions.
The 5 Series Madone still has the old style oval seatmast ...
Old 10-28-09, 11:39 AM
Soloist Assassin
Banned

Bikes: 2011 Cervelo S2, 2001Trek USPS 5200, 06 Cervelo P3 Alum, 1999 Schwinn Pro Stock BMX, 1987 Schwinn Traveler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WCroadie
So you ordered a new cervelo and would recommend a cervelo over a trek, shocking! And how exactly are the new madones less compatible with parts??? Besides the seatpost? The 5 and 6 series are all project one's so you get to choose all the components you want, how is that not compatible? If you are talking about the BB which trek calls BB90 not 30, you can use any crankset you want, you do not need a bb30 crankset.

When looking for a new bike I was deciding between the Supersix and the Madone, I chose the Madone, both are great bikes but I liked the madone better. Both were very close in price, Treks are not 2 or 3 times the price of other comparable they are all in the same ballpark. Do I think the Madone is the best bike out there, absolutely not, it's what I wanted so I got it. When you are talking $$$ bikes they are all great, is my madone a world of difference over the CAAD9 I was riding, nope, I can tell some difference but it's hardly night and day. Does the seat mast make a difference who knows, I can't tell. Companies are constantly coming out with changes in order to sell bikes. Cervelo's, Pinarello's, Treks, Cannondales, Felts, Giants, Ridley's etc. all their top of the line bikes are great.

Get what you want and ride the h3ll out of it.

Don't forget the lack of choices for forks, and headsets. I personally tested dozens of bikes before I decided on a Cervelo. It wasn't the most expensive bike either. The Madone felt a little lighter than my 5200, but bulkier and slower. I prefer very little flex, and all out speed. The natural choice for my demands was a Cervelo SLC, it had stiffness like no other, and felt considerably faster. It seems I felt somewhat like you did about your CADD, with my 5200. The madone was just like a new uglier paint job on the same old bike, despite all the new changes. The best info I can tell the OP is try one before you decide on it. The marketing people are always trying to sell you a bike. Go ride some, and see what YOU like.
Old 10-28-09, 01:01 PM
wirelessness

Bikes: Open Cycles WI.DE.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by FlatSix911
False.
Old 10-28-09, 01:03 PM
wirelessness

Bikes: Open Cycles WI.DE.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by hodie21
If you can tell me another brand that makes either the same Madone 6.9 frame (made in USA by Trek) or a Pinarello frame please do tell.
I'm not sure if you know this but...Pinarello frames are made in Asia. Not that that matters....really but just for clarification when comparing against something 'hand made in the USA'.
Old 10-28-09, 05:12 PM
WCroadie

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by FlatSix911
Originally Posted by wirelessness
False.
True
Old 10-28-09, 05:27 PM
Quel

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've never seen so many people argue that a seat post is the reason for choosing once $5k bike over another.
Old 10-28-09, 05:27 PM
Cue
Banned.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
The marketing people are always trying to sell you a bike. Go ride some, and see what YOU like.
Like they did with selling you a Cervelo.
Old 10-28-09, 05:50 PM
velocanuck
Older, but not 'senior'

Bikes: Marinoni Trek

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like my bikes to have a round seat tube...less flex and delivers approx 80 more watts than an integrated mast or oval mast.

what? why are you looking at me like that?...I believe in the marketing hype.
Old 10-28-09, 05:52 PM
Brian Ratliff

Bikes: Three road bikes. Two track bikes.

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Quel
I've never seen so many people argue that a seat post is the reason for choosing once $5k bike over another.
Battle of the sales sheets!
"If you’re new enough [to racing] that you would ask such question, then i would hazard a guess that if you just made up a workout that sounded hard to do, and did it, you’d probably get faster." --the tiniest sprinter
Old 10-28-09, 05:55 PM
Soloist Assassin
Banned

Bikes: 2011 Cervelo S2, 2001Trek USPS 5200, 06 Cervelo P3 Alum, 1999 Schwinn Pro Stock BMX, 1987 Schwinn Traveler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cue
Like they did with selling you a Cervelo.
I rode the Cervelo 2 years ago, and haven't found anything as stiff, and fast since. I've ridden dozens of bikes since then(including 3 different Madones), and none of them compare to what I felt aboard the Cervelo I rode two years ago. It is everything I want in a bike. I've been mulling this decision for two years, before committing to it. I bought what fit my needs, and wants. Nobody sold me anything. I bought what I wanted through probably the longest internal struggle to not spend the money on the Cervelo. Believe me the last thing I wanted was a to spend over 2k on a bike frame built by communist contractors in China, but it's one hell of a bike. If you have the means, I definitely recommend test riding one. If you value comfort more than speed, you may not like it. My current Trek is plenty comfortable so I have that covered.

All I am saying is ride allot of bikes, then decide.

Last edited by Soloist Assassin; 10-28-09 at 05:59 PM.
Old 10-28-09, 05:56 PM
WCroadie

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Don't forget the lack of choices for forks, and headsets. I personally tested dozens of bikes before I decided on a Cervelo. It wasn't the most expensive bike either. The Madone felt a little lighter than my 5200, but bulkier and slower. I prefer very little flex, and all out speed. The natural choice for my demands was a Cervelo SLC, it had stiffness like no other, and felt considerably faster. It seems I felt somewhat like you did about your CADD, with my 5200. The madone was just like a new uglier paint job on the same old bike, despite all the new changes. The best info I can tell the OP is try one before you decide on it. The marketing people are always trying to sell you a bike. Go ride some, and see what YOU like.
Ok the new designed head tube makes putting on a different fork a challenge unless you get another bonty fork, there are other brands doing the same thing with their forks as well but how often do you really change forks or headsets?

I had an 03 5200 to me that felt a bit soft and flexy, of course I was 210lbs then and am 170 now. Just curious, how much do you weigh, not being a small rider and I have a pretty powerful sprint, I find the madone pretty damn stiff, I am surprised you felt your older trek was stiffer. I felt the new madone is a huge improvement over the older 5000 series frames. I also think it looks awesome. Cervelo does it's fair share of marketing as well, their commercials were all over the tv during the 08 TdF.

I chose a 2010 madone for my new bike, I am happy with it, my IMO it's a great bike and priced fair, but that's just my opinion. You chose the cervelo and I hope you enjoy it, there is no right or wrong opinion but some people on here get carried away. Like you said, try before you buy and to each their own.
Old 10-28-09, 06:01 PM
velocanuck
Older, but not 'senior'

Bikes: Marinoni Trek

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
... The Madone felt a little lighter than my 5200, but bulkier and slower. I prefer very little flex, and all out speed.
Not sure Astana and before them, Discovery channel, felt the madone was bulky and slow...but of course they were not interested in speed.
Old 10-28-09, 06:04 PM
Soloist Assassin
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WCroadie
Ok the new designed head tube makes putting on a different fork a challenge unless you get another bonty fork, there are other brands doing the same thing with their forks as well but how often do you really change forks or headsets?

I had an 03 5200 to me that felt a bit soft and flexy, of course I was 210lbs then and am 170 now. Just curious, how much do you weigh, not being a small rider and I have a pretty powerful sprint, I find the madone pretty damn stiff, I am surprised you felt your older trek was stiffer. I felt the new madone is a huge improvement over the older 5000 series frames. I also think it looks awesome. Cervelo does it's fair share of marketing as well, their commercials were all over the tv during the 08 TdF.

I chose a 2010 madone for my new bike, I am happy with it, my IMO it's a great bike and priced fair, but that's just my opinion. You chose the cervelo and I hope you enjoy it, there is no right or wrong opinion but some people on here get carried away. Like you said, try before you buy and to each their own.

I weigh 155lbs. Your probably right, it was probably the weight that made the 5200 seem to flex more. I didn't feel that it was huge difference in flex, but it was there. For some reason, it didn't "feel" any faster. I rode my 5200 to the shop I tested the Madone at. The Cervelo on the other hand felt faster. Your last two sentences were spot on. I hope you enjoy your Madone. I love to tinker on stuff, so I like trying new forks, and cranks, and such. Kinda the reason why I don't like the new fork on the Madone, Seatmast or the BB30.
Old 10-28-09, 07:05 PM
Cue
Banned.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
Nobody sold me anything.
Oh yes they did, you're buying a Cervelo, yes?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.