Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Alt Bike Culture
Reload this Page >

Is there a good brand twist grip shifters without indexes?

Search
Notices
Alt Bike Culture Chopped, dropped, stretched, lifted, and otherwise cut up and put back together. The art and science of choppers, cruisers, lowriders and the vast world of mutant bicycles.

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-23, 09:23 AM
BikePower
Time Traveler

Bikes: 1983 Ross Paragon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 51 Posts

Id like to modify my bike to have friction shifters on the grips. Is it possible? My other thought is down tube friction shifters but i prefer grip shift without indexes.
Old 08-03-23, 11:36 PM
Eusam
Whippersnapper

Bikes: 1987? Diamondback Ascent, 1987? Stout, 2023 Bike Friday, 2012 Surly Ogre

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 13 Posts
I don't think that friction grip shifters are available off the shelf. You could probably make one, though. If you take apart a grip shifter, there is usually a metal spring that is used by the indexing mechanism, you can just pull it out. Once you have the indexing disabled, you need to figure out a way to hold the shifter in place against the cable tension. One way would be to cut a horizontal slice partway through the outer part of the shifter and put a hose clamp around it to adjust the friction. It would be ugly, but it should work.
Likes For Eusam:
Old 08-04-23, 05:56 AM
RB1-luvr
I don't know.

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '08 Windsor Tourist, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night, '89 Marinoni

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 853 Times in 446 Posts
can an o-ring of the proper thickness (cross section diameter) be placed between the twist part and the housing to add friction? We used to do this as a diy cruise control on motorcycles.
Likes For RB1-luvr:
Old 08-04-23, 11:21 AM
Eusam
Whippersnapper

That seems like it could work. Once you take the indexing spring out, a grip shifter is pretty similar to a motorcycle throttle.
Likes For Eusam:
Old 08-04-23, 11:54 AM
BikePower
Time Traveler

Bikes: 1983 Ross Paragon

Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Eusam
That seems like it could work. Once you take the indexing spring out, a grip shifter is pretty similar to a motorcycle throttle.
maybe the O ring method because appearance is tantamount.
Old 08-04-23, 10:52 PM
Eusam
Whippersnapper

I think it's kind of cool that these exist! It looks like the stock of front shifters is low, but in a pinch you could use an upside-down rear shifter for the front.
Old 08-11-23, 09:50 PM
soyabean

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked 416 Times in 274 Posts
Originally Posted by Eusam
It looks like the stock of front shifters is low, but in a pinch you could use an upside-down rear shifter for the front.
A big NO.
Old 08-11-23, 11:01 PM
Eusam
Whippersnapper

I'm not sure if you object to the aesthetics of using the wrong shifter, or you don't understand how it would work. I do admit that upside down doesn't quite describe how you would install the shifter, but I don't have a great way to clearly describe the translations and rotations needed to orient the shifter because I am bad at geometry.

If you rotate a rear shifter around so that the grip part is facing left and mount it on the left side of the handlebar, you can use it to shift the front derailleur. It will rotate it in the opposite direction of a standard shifter, but it will work fine. The only real difference between most "front" and "rear" friction shifters is the handedness. Unless you have a newer rear derailleur that requires extra cable pull, you can usually swap "front" and "rear" friction shifters. The only other non-interchangeable friction shifters I have run into have been shifters that also had indexed modes, and shorter cable pull for the front shifter. But that doesn't come up if you are using a "rear" shifter for a front derailleur.

Old Suntour barcons didn't have different front and rear shifters, and some early mountain bikes used two "rear" shifters since left-handed thumb shifters were not readily available. Once you move away from indexing, you can configure your shifters a lot of different ways.
Old 11-04-23, 11:36 AM
capnjonny 

Bikes: Miyata 610(66cm), GT Vantara Hybrid (64cm), Nishiki International (64cm), Peugeot rat rod (62 cm), Trek 800 Burning Man helicopter bike, Bob Jackson frame (to be restored?) plus a never ending stream of neglected waifs from the Bike exchange.

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 229 Posts
My first advice is to find a friendly bike co op in your area and start volunteering with them. There you will probably find boxes and boxes of used wheels, shifters and any other thing you might need and they will probably sell them to you at good prices. For little money you could buy a nice Suntour ratchet stem shifter that you could use with any kind of bars. If you want to go with flat or north road style bars they will have boxes of friction thumb shifters that will work great. In my opinion the worst shifters out there are twist shifters. They are usually stiff to twist and some makes are virtually impossible to replace cables on. If you want to use drop bars then Suntour or Shimano bar end friction shifters are the way to go. At the Bike exchange we have them coming out our ears. in an earlier post you discussed wheels. The bike co op will have lots of used wheels and will probably let you try different combinations of used wheels and brakes till you find one that works. I often change 27" wheels for 700 c- 622 and there are long reach Wienman caliper brakes that can accomodate the switch . Mafac center pulls are another possibility for the switch. You will sometimes find that the front and rear brakes have different reach . You can replace the attachment bolt on these and thus make a front fit in back and vica versa. Get to know the folks at your local co op and you will probably find a solution to whatever problem you have. Best to stay away from new bike shops as they won't want to bother with you as you won't be making them any money.

Below is a 1966 Varsity I customized recently with pretty much new everything - 700c wheels, tires, bars, brakes, shifters, and paint.
Likes For capnjonny:
Old 11-04-23, 10:09 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,543 Posts
Consider friction thumb shifters....easy access, easy to use

these are basic ones https://velo-orange.com/products/fal...thumb-shifters

Likes For squirtdad: