Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Alt Bike Culture
Reload this Page >

cargo bike homebuild

Search
Notices
Alt Bike Culture Chopped, dropped, stretched, lifted, and otherwise cut up and put back together. The art and science of choppers, cruisers, lowriders and the vast world of mutant bicycles.

cargo bike homebuild

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-23, 10:57 AM
MarshallRolerso

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
cargo bike homebuild

I've built a front-loading 3-wheeled cargo bike using an old mountain bike and steel I had kicking around. I spread the rear forks in order to fit an ebikeling motor with a 9-speed gear cluster. I've tried many things to make this work - I've had the frame bent to help align the deraileur, I used a 3/8" rod to make sure everything was lined up correctly and got the front sprocket aligned to the center of the rear gear cluster, all new parts - and the chain is still jumping forward into the next teeth (going right over the top). It stays in the gear and the gear selecter works just fine. High and low work fine. So, I'm kind of stumped because the middle gears are the ones I need the most.
Old 08-24-23, 11:21 AM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked 1,024 Times in 666 Posts
Check the basics. Be sure that the derailleur is lined up with the rear wheel in both the up and down direction and the front to back. The front to back can be off because the rear triangle was spread to accommodate the new wheel. This might involve bending the rear dropout and/or the derailleur hanger. Check the chain to be sure it is 9 speed compatible MarshallRolerso

So, do I understand this correctly, there are two wheels in the front? And you have a basket or some sort of carrier between the wheels?

This sounds interesting . Pictures would be good. Get your posts up to 10 then you can post pictures. You max out at 5 a day. So two days should do.

Old 08-24-23, 01:35 PM
jawnn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I hope you can use 16" by 2.25" wide [21"od] motorcycle tires they fit BMX rims