Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

21.15mm stem in 22.2mm Steerer Tube. Shim or no shim?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-24, 03:34 PM
JoeBass

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 296 Times in 93 Posts

Hey, folks! I recently swapped out a threaded 1" fork on a bike, with the new threaded 1" fork having a 22.2mm steerer tube. Unfortunately, the original stem on the bike (and original steerer tube) were 21.15mm, which leaves a very minor amount of room around the original stem once inserted into the new steerer tube. I'd really like to keep the original stem. When inserting the original stem into the new steerer tube, the wedge tightens down normally (apparantly) and everything seems firm with no perceptible flex or anything. I can throw a Coke-can style shim in there to fill the gap, but if everything seems to be fine, do I really need to?
Thanks much in advance!
Joe
Old 02-01-24, 05:01 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,734 Times in 974 Posts
Just get the right sized 22.2 stem. They are so common that there is no reason to make do with an undersized stem.
You don’t want to risk having the stem loosen on you in the middle of a ride.
Likes For icemilkcoffee:
Old 02-01-24, 09:41 PM
grumpus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked 436 Times in 335 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeBass
Hey, folks! I recently swapped out a threaded 1" fork on a bike, with the new threaded 1" fork having a 22.2mm steerer tube. Unfortunately, the original stem on the bike (and original steerer tube) were 21.15mm, which leaves a very minor amount of room around the original stem once inserted into the new steerer tube. I'd really like to keep the original stem. When inserting the original stem into the new steerer tube, the wedge tightens down normally (apparantly) and everything seems firm with no perceptible flex or anything. I can throw a Coke-can style shim in there to fill the gap, but if everything seems to be fine, do I really need to?
I don't think it would stay tight for long, I'd also worry that it would distort the steerer. I'd rather use a steel shim if I could find the right thickness to do it with a single layer.
Likes For grumpus:
Old 02-02-24, 12:23 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,585 Times in 1,433 Posts
It's not absolutely necessary to shim it, since the wedge usually has plenty of travel. Sometimes the wedge runs out of travel before being tight, but that can be fixed with a file.

OTOH you might prefer to shim, because while the wedge braces the bottom, the top is free to rock back and forth.

It's not necessary to shim the full length, just up near the top.

How you shim is up to you, and may depend on how deep the stem is. Also, do not shim the area near the wedge. I'm partial to gummed paper tape, because it's easy to widn to an exact diameter. Once it's assembled, soak oil in, and the oil soaked tape will outlast you.

Last edited by FBinNY; 02-02-24 at 12:27 AM.
Old 02-02-24, 02:44 AM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 712 Times in 380 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeBass
Hey, folks! I recently swapped out a threaded 1" fork on a bike, with the new threaded 1" fork having a 22.2mm steerer tube. Unfortunately, the original stem on the bike (and original steerer tube) were 21.15mm, which leaves a very minor amount of room around the original stem once inserted into the new steerer tube.
Joe
That’s a 1 millimeter difference in diameter… not “minor”. The handlebars will rock side to side, which can be unpleasant.

Fortunately, this was a common occurrence years ago so there’s a shim made just for this purpose:

https://www.amazon.com/Wald-905-Stee.../dp/B000A5QDY2

A bike shop that’s been around for a few decades might have these in stock.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 02-02-24, 01:13 PM
JoeBass

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 296 Times in 93 Posts
Thanks very much for the help, folks!
Old 02-02-24, 09:04 PM
panzerwagon 
Garage tetris expert

Bikes: A few. Ok, a lot

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 387 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff Wills
That’s a 1 millimeter difference in diameter… not “minor”. The handlebars will rock side to side, which can be unpleasant.

Fortunately, this was a common occurrence years ago so there’s a shim made just for this purpose:

https://www.amazon.com/Wald-905-Stee.../dp/B000A5QDY2

A bike shop that’s been around for a few decades might have these in stock.
Thanks for that reference-- I needed one as well.

For those like me who prefer an alternative to Amazon: https://www.porkchopbmx.com/wald-905...g-shim-13.html
(cheaper too!)
Likes For panzerwagon: