Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Look 595 vs. Look 586

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Look 595 vs. Look 586

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-09, 06:49 AM
Sinn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Look 595 vs. Look 586

For those who have experience with these frames, please help me to see the virtues of each. I am having a hard time deciding on which would be best for me, should I decide to go with Look. It seems that they would both be stiff enough, with, perhaps, the 595 having a stiffer bottom bracket area. But the 586 frame is lighter. Also, if the 595 ultra is stiffer than the 595, but still the same weight, why shouldn't one just go with the ultra model?

I am around 5'6, 145-50lbs. Still a fairly new cyclist. I have the 'sprinter's physiology' (which, of course, I won't really get to use for another year or two, since I am so new to cycling and don't yet have the strength and skill for a devastating sprint), but I also climb relatively well. I am looking for a bike that will take climbs admirably, but also be a good all-around road racing bike (a bike that I can use profitably at every stage in a stage race). Which Look would suit me best?
Old 03-11-09, 07:23 AM
audiojan
Roadie/Duathlete

Bikes: Colnago ExP, Look 595, Look 496, plus a few more...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just bought a 595 Origin and was also looking at the 586. Yes, the 586 is slightly lighter (but hardly noticebly lighter though...). I'm 5'8", 158lbs. and by no means a sprinter (I love climbing though). I found the 595 Origin to be a perfect balance between stiffness and comfort. There's virtually zero flex (for me that is) and I can ride it for hours on end with total comfort. The 586 would probably be a nice frame as well, but with the 595 being so near perfect, I can't even imagine buying one.
Old 03-11-09, 07:30 AM
mantis
Don't Bug Me

Bikes: Canyon Aeroad CF SL 8.0 Disc, Cervelo S2, Look 585, Specialized Rockhopper

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 16 Posts
Buy a Look = Love a Look
Old 03-11-09, 07:41 AM
bbattle

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 5.2, 1985 Pinarello Treviso, 1990 Gardin Shred, 2006 Bianchi San Jose

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts
if you can tell the difference between bottom bracket flex in either of those frames, i'll buy you a bottle of Scotch.
Old 03-11-09, 07:47 AM
Sinn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bbattle
if you can tell the difference between bottom bracket flex in either of those frames, i'll buy you a bottle of Scotch.
Awesome. After I ride it up some steep ascents, side-by-side, or just look at the bottom bracket while I'm on the trainer, I'll send you a PM.
Old 03-11-09, 07:48 AM
Hocam
Ho-Jahm

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bikes don't make you faster.
Old 03-11-09, 07:53 AM
VA_Esquire

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Actually they do. Can you run as fast as someone can ride a bicycle?
Old 03-11-09, 07:59 AM
bbattle

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 5.2, 1985 Pinarello Treviso, 1990 Gardin Shred, 2006 Bianchi San Jose

Originally Posted by Sinn
Awesome. After I ride it up some steep ascents, side-by-side, or just look at the bottom bracket while I'm on the trainer, I'll send you a PM.
We'll need a full review of both bikes. Likes and dislikes. And pictures. Gotta have pictures.
Old 03-11-09, 08:00 AM
Sinn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I should say that I am leaning towards the 595 origin. The 100g (around .25 pound) difference in weight is relatively minimal. And, if the 595 is as stiff and stable as many of the reviews say, it would probably make for a better all-around race bike.

Agree? Disagree?
Old 03-11-09, 08:02 AM
Sinn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bbattle
We'll need a full review of both bikes. Likes and dislikes. And pictures. Gotta have pictures.
Ha! I'll just get one bike and buy my own scotch. But I will post picks of whichever bike I get. Its between three: Specialized SL2 w/ Sram Red, Cervelo R3 sl with Dura-Ace, and a Look (whichever frame model I decide on) with Dura Ace.
Old 03-11-09, 08:04 AM
bbattle

Suit yourself. I'm already looking forward to a wee dram or two of some Lagavulin back at the house.
Old 03-11-09, 08:36 AM
Trogon

Bikes: 14 road, 1 SS, 2 MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I really don't think that the Origin model is designed for 140 pound cyclists - it's designed for guys like Thor Hushovd.

I ride a standard 595 and I weigh 160-170 during my bloated phases. There is no way I could change the shape of that bike, in or out of the saddle. It's one of the stiffest bikes I own, and virtually rigid compared to my CF Calfee on which I can get a bit of FD rub if I am pushing it hard enough.

Buy what you want, but I think it would be worthwhile to understand what the intent of those frames is, perhaps by having a quick chat with Look USA. There is a Look forum on roadbikereview where the Look guys post - put your question there.
Old 03-11-09, 08:56 AM
Hida Yanra
VeloSIRraptor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mantis
Look at a Look = Love a Look
Fixed that for you... my full carbon bike will almost certainly be a Look when I get around to buying it.
Old 03-11-09, 09:53 AM
Sinn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Trogon
I really don't think that the Origin model is designed for 140 pound cyclists - it's designed for guys like Thor Hushovd.
You Look riders sure are a condescending bunch. So Euro, so French. Makes me totally want to get a Look!

In any case, I am not a skinny 145, I am a small 145. I've got the muscle structure to justify a stiff frame over a comfort frame. I think its the 959 origin for me.
Old 03-11-09, 11:07 AM
Trogon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm condescending for suggesting you get some information to help you make an informed decision? Why did you bother asking if you were already an expert?

Hey, if you're happy on a bike designed for a much bigger guy than cool, what's important is that you like it.

Last edited by Trogon; 03-11-09 at 11:10 AM.
Old 03-11-09, 11:17 AM
Surferbruce

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
my 585 has the best ride quality of any frame i've ridden. According to my long time local LOOK dealer, the 585 is still the favorite of many, even over the 595 or 586. If it's between the two though, I'd go with the 595 Origin over the monocoque 586.
Whichever you get, it's going to make you a happy puppy.
Old 03-11-09, 11:19 AM
Sinn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Trogon
I'm condescending for suggesting you get some information to help you make an informed decision? Why did you bother asking if you were already an expert?

Hey, if you're happy on a bike designed for a much bigger guy than cool, what's important is that you like it.
I put up this thread in order to get more information.

Also, it seems ludicrous to me to think that Look would design a bike exclusively for one type of rider, expecialyl a rider as big and as strong as Hoshovd. And it seems to me that they made the 959 ultra for the bigger riders, not the 959 origin.

I just want to see what other Look riders out there think about which would suit me best. I get different opinions from different shops around here: some say it is definitely the 586 becuase I am smaller; others say that the 586 lacks the stiffness of the 595 and so I would do better with the 595 as an all around race bike.

I am no Thor, but one of these two bikes has got to suit my needs better than the other.

Trogon, what I said was mostly toungue-in-cheek.

I suppose you think I would do better with the 586?
Old 03-11-09, 11:29 AM
Trogon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like the 586 and I love my 595.

Really - give a call to Look USA or post your question in the Look forum on RBR. The Look USA guys post there and answer questions. I dealt a bunch with a guy named Chas and he was extremely helpful in steering me to the standard 595 vs. the Origin as well as helping with sizing. They're going to be able to answer your questions with the right information.
Old 03-11-09, 12:57 PM
bbp
hooray for spring

Bikes: 2008 Look 586

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
586 unless you can sprint at 1500W or if you plan on gaining 30 lbs.
Old 03-11-09, 02:00 PM
dgasmd
shedding fat

Bikes: LOOK 595 Ultra/Campy Record 10Sp, restored Guerciotti/Campy C-Record 6 Sp, TIME RXR/Campy SR 11Sp, and Colnago C-60 with Campagnolo SR 11sp.

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Do a search in the weight weenies forum. These have been compared extensively even by people that have owned both. I have the Look 595 Ultra. Love the bike. I am gifted at being able to find things that could be better or I can complain about. Not with this bike.
Old 03-11-09, 04:28 PM
JayhawKen
Knocking off the rust

Bikes: LeMond Tourmalet, Specialized Tarmac

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sinn
I'll just get one bike ... Its between three: .. and a Look (whichever frame model I decide on) with Dura Ace.
I have not had the opportunity to ride a Look, but I think French law prohibits Shimano on any Look or Time.

Must be Campy, although SRAM is permitted if you obtain an exemption.

Old 03-11-09, 04:42 PM
UtahWasatch
Just a goat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thread on Roadbike review

https://forums.roadbikereview.com/sho...50532#poststop
Old 03-11-09, 06:25 PM
Sinn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JayhawKen
I have not had the opportunity to ride a Look, but I think French law prohibits Shimano on any Look or Time.

Must be Campy, although SRAM is permitted if you obtain an exemption.

You're going to have to tell look that. Check out the build with the 595 (the bike to the left in the background - click it) that they have posted on their website.

https://www.lookcycle.com/products/?m=7&l=en
Old 03-11-09, 06:30 PM
Sinn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bbp
586 unless you can sprint at 1500W or if you plan on gaining 30 lbs.
Why? Why get the less-stiff, less efficient frame if I don't sprint like a pro?
Old 03-11-09, 07:02 PM
Hocam
Ho-Jahm

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh FFS, a stiffer frame is not going to make your sprint x mph faster, or make you climb any faster either. You guys have bought the marketing bull**** hook line and sinker. Now you're in a tussy because some marketing BS doesn't mix well with other marketing BS. Go ride the bikes and choose the one you like, stop worrying about what frame is stiffer or more laterally compliant or climbs better or whatever.

Weight and aerodynamics aside, the only thing that makes you sprint or climb faster is you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.