Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

How can skateboards be so fast!

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-11, 03:12 PM
ROJA
Pepperoni Power

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

There is a local downhill in the East Bay that drops a little over 900 feet in 1.9 miles (avg. 9.1%). It has two smooth switchbacks and a few other minor turns. I usually average around 30 mph and can hit the high 30s on this stretch by moving along pretty well while still leaving some margin for safety. I would not say that I push it compared to the fast riders, who can average over 40 mph for this stretch with top speeds at or above 50 mph. For what it's worth, my average speed of around 31 would put me right around the middle of this Strava segment (ridden over 500 times by 121 people), so I'm neither fast nor a slowpoke.

Yet I have been passed by guys on skateboards! And there was a large speed difference- I tried to keep up but lost sight of them within 1/4 mile and did not see them again until they had stopped at the bottom. This is on a vehicle with no brakes and tiny skateboard wheels.

How do they do it?

My only guesses-

1. they are very very good at their sport, while I am average at best;
2. they are pushing the limits of traction and safety, while I am leaving a much larger margin for surprises or mistakes;
3. a good skateboarder can actually move faster because the legs and knees act as suspension in a way that is superior to a bike;
4. I am just old and want to live to see tomorrow...

Have others seen this? Is it typical for skateboarders to be faster than cyclists on downhill sections in your area? What do they do if they approach a slower moving car? How do they slow or stop?
Old 05-17-11, 03:46 PM
CornUponCob
Swim Bike Run

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced SL ISP, Specialized S-Works Transition, Blue RC5 AL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Aerodynamics
Old 05-17-11, 03:51 PM
pgjackson

Bikes: Rossetti Vertigo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 70 Posts
They are probably riding longboards. My son has one and it is fast and smooth. I have a short 6-7% hill right in front of my house, maybe 1/4 mile to the top. These kids can fly down that hill. I don't let my son do this. The kids that do don't even wear a helmet and usually don't even have a shirt on. If they go down they are going to the hospital if not the morgue.
Old 05-17-11, 03:53 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28641 Post(s)
Liked 1,858 Times in 1,320 Posts
Originally Posted by ROJA
Have others seen this?
Thankfully, I don't see skateboarders on the road (other than neighborhood streets).
Old 05-17-11, 03:54 PM
therhodeo

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is it typical for skateboarders to be faster than cyclists on downhill sections in your area?
It is when the cyclist isn't going as fast as the guys on skateboards are willing to. You're post pretty much says you're going slower than them because thats all you're comfortable doing. Nothing to do with aerodynamics or anything else.
Old 05-17-11, 03:55 PM
pgjackson

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=831IO...357F5773CFC867

It's only a matter of time before it is banned. Doing 40mph on a skateboard on a public street is idiotic.

Last edited by pgjackson; 05-17-11 at 03:59 PM.
Old 05-17-11, 04:03 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11975 Post(s)
Liked 6,655 Times in 3,486 Posts
Skateboarders are crazy.
Old 05-17-11, 04:04 PM
ROJA
Pepperoni Power

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
To be clear, my speed is not limited by drag or gearing. I simply can't go faster around the switchbacks and corners (where they appear to open the biggest gap on me). I have to a brake a fair bit and am coasting in parts because I am not comfortable going any faster (although it would be physically possible).
Old 05-17-11, 04:09 PM
climber7

Bikes: 2010 Jamis Xenith Comp

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
my speed is not limited by drag
i understand that you could go faster on this particular road. however, i wouldn't be surprised if a person crouched down on a longboard presented a smaller surface to the wind (and thus had less drag) than a person on a bike, even in a full aerodynamic tuck.
Old 05-17-11, 04:10 PM
dstrong 

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Interloc Impala, ParkPre Image C6

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyD
Skateboarders are crazy.
First line of the description on the video..."Just a short vid of the team, well....at least the ones that are not injured."

2014 Specialized Roubaix2003 Interloc Impala2007 ParkPre Image C6 (RIP)

Old 05-17-11, 04:18 PM
glrnns280

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
you can slow down by sliding the board sidways,but still that fast on a skate board
Old 05-17-11, 04:19 PM
Kind of Blued

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Guys go 80mph on skateboards where a road bike couldn't hit 60. It seems like a lot of them wear more aerodynamic skinsuit-esque things and full helmets. The biggest advantage is probably in the wheels though. I'd imagine they're much harder and a much smaller "footprint"/contact point on the ground. I still don't understand how they corner so well. I mean, I think I understand it in regard to physics, but not in regard to the necessary testicular fortitude.
Old 05-17-11, 04:26 PM
JoelS

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was passed by a skateboarder on a local technical descent. He didn't get more than about 15 yards past me though. Pretty ballsy riding. I think they can get more aero then we can on bikes.

Some sort of pithy irrelevant one-liner should go here.
Old 05-17-11, 04:26 PM
kleinboogie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Way less friction than a bike and aerodynamics. The guy in blue in the video is better prepared for a fall than a cyclist. He's got full helmet, leather suit, elbow/knee pads and skid plates on his palms. He may break a bone smashing into something but he'll be fine sliding on the pavement.
Old 05-17-11, 04:34 PM
pgjackson

Originally Posted by Kind of Blued
Guys go 80mph on skateboards where a road bike couldn't hit 60. It seems like a lot of them wear more aerodynamic skinsuit-esque things and full helmets. The biggest advantage is probably in the wheels though. I'd imagine they're much harder and a much smaller "footprint"/contact point on the ground. I still don't understand how they corner so well. I mean, I think I understand it in regard to physics, but not in regard to the necessary testicular fortitude.
The wheels are much larger and much softer than traditional skateboard wheels. They absorb all the imperfections in the road and the ride is actually VERY smooth. Also the trucks (the axles that the wheels fit on) are much looser than on short skateboards making it much easier to lean the board and turn sharply. They are actually very cool boards and most kids just cruise on them...but some of these kids are just plain stupid. You hit a branch in the road or a rock going 40mph you are going down hard. No amount of leather and plastic helmet is going to protect you from a high-speed impact with a street sign or tree.
Old 05-17-11, 04:36 PM
miwoodar
Fast for a sloth

Bikes: Some

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pgjackson
If they go down they are going to the hospital if not the morgue.
My neighbor has knocked himself out on multiple occasions via longboarding. The same guy got the bright idea to tie a bed sheet to his belt and hold the corners to make a long board sail...ER. He jumped his bike off of a roof with the intention of landing on top of a dumpster...ER. He's 18 and his list of injuries is as long as my grocery receipt. Last year he got into cycling. I agreed to take him along for an LSD ride with some buddies but I had to wave us off before joining the group. No matter how many times I told him that he would have to ride straight, I couldn't get within three feet of him without fearing that he would take me down. He wandered all over the place.

Perhaps longboarders are fast because they no longer have a functioning brain? Maybe they can't process danger?
Old 05-17-11, 04:48 PM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3376 Post(s)
Liked 5,526 Times in 2,864 Posts
40mph isn't fast. This is fast: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8r9VefFY5P8

And here is a video of the Buffalo Bill Downhill run for the last three years on Lookout Mt: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8i4iy9JIHjc
Old 05-17-11, 04:50 PM
pgjackson

It looks like a lot of fun and could be moderately safe in a controlled environment...but most of these guys are just rolling down public streets with no concern over public safety. Imagine a kid going down at high speed, his board jumps the curb and hits your kid in the head. Or you are driving up the street and one of these idiots is hauling ass in your direction and can't stop...next thing you know he's coming through your windshield. When you talk to these guys (and I do because we have a bunch of them in my neighborhood) their only safety concern is for themselves. They never even consider the safety of people walking down the street minding their own business.
Old 05-17-11, 04:55 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
This one was posted in another thread - I dig it.

I think that having really, really big balls is a factor. I also think that having a lower center of gravity is a factor, as is the wider footprint provided by the 'board.
Old 05-17-11, 05:02 PM
slims_s

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You hit a branch in the road or a rock going 40mph you are going down hard. No amount of leather and plastic helmet is going to protect you from a high-speed impact with a street sign or tree.
well, most of us have gone faster than that wearing only lycra, shoes, and a cycling helmet so...
Old 05-17-11, 05:37 PM
brianappleby
Senior Member?

Bikes: orbea onix, Cervelo SLC, Specialzed Allez, Cervelo P3 Alu

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
that buffalo bill course is my local training hill... I ride it many times a week.

I've met skateboarders on that hill (they're just chasing the high, the same as us). I've asked a few to race, and I've always beaten them, even without pedaling. They have an aero advantage on the straights (hence that 80mph guy, also on a hill in Colorado), but I can corner a lot faster than they can.

That means to the OP that either:
a) You need to work on descending skills, or
b) The guys i've happened to race against aren't as skilled as they could be, or
c) Skateboarders are faster on certain corners, but we're faster on others

I suspect that the answer is somewhere between (a) and (b), but (c) could play a role as well. I lean against (c), because the hill is composed of a few faster corners that I take around 30-35 mph, and some switchbacks that I take closer to 20, and they lose time on all of the turns.
Old 05-17-11, 05:38 PM
nacler22
Tilting at Windmills

Bikes: More please

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I think it looks like a blast.

I use to fly airplanes straight toward the ground and run class 5 whitewater so maybe I'm a little "touched"

Out the door to get my ass handed to me in the local crit.

Later
Old 05-17-11, 05:43 PM
pdedes
ka maté ka maté ka ora

Bikes: breezer venturi - red novo bosberg - red, pedal force cg1 - red, neuvation f-100 - da, devinci phantom - xt, miele piste - miche/campy, bianchi reparto corse sbx, concorde squadra tsx - da, miele team issue sl - ultegra

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
This one was posted in another thread - I dig it.

I think that having really, really big balls is a factor. I also think that having a lower center of gravity is a factor, as is the wider footprint provided by the 'board.
these
Old 05-17-11, 05:44 PM
Nerull

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
It looks like a lot of fun and could be moderately safe in a controlled environment...but most of these guys are just rolling down public streets with no concern over public safety. Imagine a kid going down at high speed, his board jumps the curb and hits your kid in the head. Or you are driving up the street and one of these idiots is hauling ass in your direction and can't stop...next thing you know he's coming through your windshield. When you talk to these guys (and I do because we have a bunch of them in my neighborhood) their only safety concern is for themselves. They never even consider the safety of people walking down the street minding their own business.
Most of the public feels that way about cycling.
Old 05-17-11, 06:02 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
I was going to say, "hey - at least we're faster uphill," but I'm actually not so sure of that in my case.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.