Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Crashed My New Bike

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-13, 08:37 PM
icul8rg8r

Bikes: Current: Trek 820. Future: Electra Townie 21d, Trek Shift 2 or 3, or Trek Pure (still trying to decide)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Crashed My New Bike

Brought home my new Trek Shift 2 last Thursday. After dinner we decided to go on a family bike ride. We had gone about two blocks and my son decided I was going too slow, so he passed me and then just STOPPED. I tried to swerve but was not able to and crashed into him. Landed on my face with my foot tangled between the peddle and bike. My son was fine - as was my bike - but I had a 1/2 inch deep and wide puncture on my foot/ankle. Initially thought my foot was broken but after hours in the ER ad xrays no broken bones.

They did not stitch my wound. Instead I have to change a wet-to-dry dressing three times a day and they SAY it will be 3 to 4 weeks before I can walk - and another month or so after that before I can ride a bike again. but I'm diabetic - this foot injury looks really bad and I think it's going to take longer to heal. Oh, I forgot to mention - IT HURTS! They have me on some serious antibiotcs and pain meds.

Good news is my son is okay. I was wearing a helmet so other than a black eye my head is okay. And I took my bike into the LBS and they checked it from head to toe and it's like new - you'd never know it was in a crash.

Other than this hole in my foot, all is well. Can't believe it happened within hours of bringing it home.
Old 06-21-13, 08:39 PM
otg 

Bikes: I've lost my mind!

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Oh man, tough break there. Hope the foot heals up quicker than expected and glad your son is OK.
Old 06-21-13, 09:52 PM
psalm
A square going nowhere

Bikes: CAAD 8 & CAAD 10

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just curious, how old is your son? I ride around with mine, he's 8, and he does that to me all the time. I've had so many close calls.

Glad your bike is okay, glad you got away without breaking anything, and glad your son is okay. As a dad I'd rather be the one in pain then my boy.
Old 06-22-13, 12:49 AM
Wut

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hope you heal quick. Sucks that you cannot ride but maybe you can work your upper body with some light dumbells while your foot heals.
Old 06-22-13, 02:05 AM
Street Pedaler

Bikes: 2011 Trek Madone 5.2 (RIP), 2013 Trek Domane 5.9

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow, what a not so great day. Hope everything heals up. Please keep a close watch on the foot. I'm Type 2 Diabetic and am currently dealing with Osteomyelitis in a toe on my right foot that started from a very, very small crack in my skin. Trust me, it's a bad program. Good luck and fast recovery!
Old 06-22-13, 03:35 PM
CandSAdventures

Bikes: Fuji Robaix, Specialized Stumpjumper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bad luck....watch that cut...just spent 8 mos taking my true love to the wound clinic weekly.
Old 06-22-13, 05:59 PM
Reelin

Bikes: 2001 Gary Fisher Marlin, 2011 Specialized Myka HT disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hope that you have a speedy recovery and can get back to riding.
Old 06-22-13, 06:22 PM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
It happens. I picked up a new Merida 900, rode it to a business meeting; when I left, it started to rain, and going up a hill, a huge pothole "appeared" in front of me. At low speed, uncertain of the bike, and with clipless pedals in, I tumbled over. No damage to me or the bike. But, wow, I had it less than six hours and crashed it.

Never did have a crash on it again, did around 12,000km on it, then sold it, something I have regretted since.
Old 06-23-13, 10:08 AM
jim p

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
These are my thoughts and may not apply to you. I am thinking that circulation to the wound would help its healing. If you could elevate your feet by laying on your back and putting your feet against a wall several times a day, this will help move fluids around in the feet and legs. I would also think at any moderate movement that does not cause the wound to open would be good.

Take your time and keep a close watch on the wound. You will be riding soon.

You are a hero. You sacrificed your body instead of your kid or your bike.
Old 06-23-13, 06:04 PM
DoninIN

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Check with your local hospital for a hyperbaric healing chamber for diabetics? Keep your head up, keep riding as soon as you can, God bless and I wish you strength at those times of intense boring lethargy and inability to do anything that lay ahead for you in the next few weeks.
Old 06-24-13, 03:49 AM
icul8rg8r

Bikes: Current: Trek 820. Future: Electra Townie 21d, Trek Shift 2 or 3, or Trek Pure (still trying to decide)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Psalm - my son will be 9 next month - same age as yours! This was a good lesson for him about staying in his own "lane", and if you want to stop, to pull off to the side - and of course to always wear a helmet!

Originally Posted by psalm
Just curious, how old is your son? I ride around with mine, he's 8, and he does that to me all the time. I've had so many close calls.

Glad your bike is okay, glad you got away without breaking anything, and glad your son is okay. As a dad I'd rather be the one in pain then my boy.