Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

broken spoke....

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-13, 07:11 PM
CandSAdventures

Bikes: Fuji Robaix, Specialized Stumpjumper

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
broken spoke....

I broke a spoke and went to the LBS to get another one. Tech said bigger folks break more, I laughed and said more incentive to loose weight. Then he said yes, then you get to blame it on having more power than the normal guys.

Made me laugh. Good folks. Always helpful.
Old 06-20-13, 07:23 PM
arex
Abuse Magnet

Bikes: '91 Mtn Tek Vertical, '74 Raleigh Sports, '72 Raleigh Twenty, '84 Univega Gran Turismo, '09 Surly Karate Monkey, '92 Burley Rock-n-Roll, '86 Miyata 310, '76 Raleigh Shopper

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 175 Times in 89 Posts
TREMBLE, PUNY HUMANS
Old 06-22-13, 05:08 PM
nfmisso
Nigel

Bikes: 1980s and 1990s steel: CyclePro, Nishiki, Schwinn, SR, Trek........

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I build my own wheels - and don't break spokes. Machine built wheels have too low a spoke tension, and inadequate stress relieve.
Old 06-23-13, 09:50 AM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 877 Posts
If the spoke broke because of fatigue (undertensioned), expect #2 is on the way.
IF that happens, get the wheel relaced w/ new spokes because #3, 4, 5... is not far behind.
Old 06-23-13, 05:09 PM
nfmisso
Nigel

Bikes: 1980s and 1990s steel: CyclePro, Nishiki, Schwinn, SR, Trek........

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
If the spoke broke because of fatigue (undertensioned), expect #2 is on the way.
IF that happens, get the wheel relaced w/ new spokes because #3, 4, 5... is not far behind.
EXACTLY and do it correctly so that it will not have to be done again - ever. A properly built wheel will last until the brake pads wear through the rim.
Old 06-25-13, 10:15 AM
JerrySTL

Bikes: Giant Defy Advanced, Breezer Doppler Team, Schwinn Twinn Tandem, Windsor Tourist, 1954 JC Higgens

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
I broke a spoke while riding across Missouri on the KATY Trail last week. A thick stick popped up from the trail and jammed into the rear wheel. Although I carried some spare spokes, the broke spoke was one under the cassette and I didn't have a chain whip or cassette tool. I widened up the brakes so they wouldn't rub plus release the tension on the spokes on each side of the broke one.

The next day, and about 80 miles later, a spoke 180 degrees away from the broke spoke also snapped probably due to the strain of the broke spoke.

I rode it that way for about 60 more miles until I found an excellent bike shop open in Defiance, Missouri who fixed the spokes. Of course I was only 20 miles from the finish by then.

Thank goodness that I had 36-spoke wheels on my bike!
Old 06-25-13, 06:42 PM
CandSAdventures

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
These are the stock wheels on a Fuji Roubaix. They have about 2k miles on them. It broke right at the bend at the top. I always watch my tire pressure, try to avoid pot holes and such. I check for broken spokes when I check the tire pressure. Anything else I should look for? Any ideas on cause? I was planning on doing one of the local charity rides and did not want to risk messing it up so I had the shop replace it. Gave it a short test ride the next evening then 40 miles on Saturday without an issue. As part of the deal, he made sure the wheel was true.
Old 06-26-13, 09:36 AM
CACycling

Bikes: 2009 Fuji Roubaix RC; 2011 Fuji Cross 2.0; '92 Diamond Back Ascent EX

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
What wheels and what is your weight? I'm around 230 and ride an '08 Roubaix RC. The stock Alex ALX 320 Comp wheelset gave me 5K trouble-free miles before I dumped the chain into the spokes. I ride fairly light but the wheels had definately taken some abuse during their life with no ill effects.
Old 06-26-13, 09:51 AM
Mr. Beanz
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by CandSAdventures
These are the stock wheels on a Fuji Roubaix. They have about 2k miles on them. It broke right at the bend at the top. I always watch my tire pressure, try to avoid pot holes and such. I check for broken spokes when I check the tire pressure. Anything else I should look for? Any ideas on cause? I was planning on doing one of the local charity rides and did not want to risk messing it up so I had the shop replace it. Gave it a short test ride the next evening then 40 miles on Saturday without an issue. As part of the deal, he made sure the wheel was true.
I always post her that wheels will start breaking spokes at after 2000 miles due to lack of tension, especially stock wheels.

If after 200-300 miles one does not check that the wheels are at proper tension and make adjustments, the spokes will break. Lack of tension means the spokes have movement and will snap eventually like a hanger wire that is bent over and over, eventually breaks. This was a game for us as kids back int eh old wire hanger days.

So if you took,m or failed to take your bike back in to the dealer for servicing during the 90 free tuneup thing, then you jacked yourself. If you took the bike back and the mechanic only "trued" the wheels vs checking and making adjustments to ensure proper tension, then he jacked you.

I say you are screwed now, more spokes are sure to follow.

If yo have a wheel built or replacement, make sure after 200-300 mile, you have somebody check the tension.

Wheel true only means they straightened the rim. Tension means the spokes are tightened properly avoiding the play that causes spoke to break.--------------

FTR, big guys only break more wheels this early when the techs fail to verify the wheel is are in good shape.
Old 06-26-13, 08:16 PM
CandSAdventures

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hmmm. Doom and Gloom Mr. Beanz? Nobody ever said education was cheap. I guess I'm going to learn a new skill or two.
Old 06-26-13, 11:26 PM
Mr. Beanz
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Hmmm. Doom and Gloom Mr. Beanz? Nobody ever said education was cheap. I guess I'm going to learn a new skill or two.
I tell ya, learning to build my own was the best thing I have done as far as cycling maintenance. I've built about 10 wheels, all still on the road and all in fantastic shape except the one that wore out at the brake surface, which is how a wheel is supposed to meet its end after 20,000+ miles.

My first wheel, 20,000+ miles. Not to mention I had to go back and repair wheels that were built by local "pros" at the local shops. Replacing broken spokes after 200 miles, failed wheels after 40 miles, and other JUNK.

Now I get a rim somewhere online for $60, an Ultegra hub "SET" for $125 and build a wheel really cheap. A wheel that will last 20,000 miles!

$20 spokes, $65 rim, and maybe $60 for the hub....$150 for the wheel and better than anything I have bought at the shops.

hubs by gulpxtreme, on Flickr

IMG_4076 by gulpxtreme, on Flickr
Old 06-28-13, 09:24 AM
Jarrett2

Bikes: Steel 1x's

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Just broke a spoke today at 99 miles on my new Trek FX 7.2. I didn't see them do any spoke tension checking when they were doing the post purchase check. Hoping this isn't a trend with this new bike.

Can someone give me pointers on building my own? It may be a skill I need at my size.
Old 06-28-13, 12:49 PM
bigfred 

Bikes: More than 1, but, less than S-1

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Follow this article and you can easily build your first wheel. Or, there ar books from Jobst Brandt (The Bicyle Wheel) or Gerd Schraner (The Art of Wheelbuilding). Either will see you through a successful build.

The most important ingredient to initial success is a bit of patience and a small degree of mechanical apptitude. For clydes I would recommend that in addition to the correct size spoke wrench a tension meter is the next most important tool.
Old 06-28-13, 01:16 PM
Fastflyingasian
Draft Producer

Bikes: fuji CCR 1.0 carbon,Surley Pacer,02 norco shore freeride MTB, cannondale rigid MTB, Fuji aloha 1.0, Monty trials bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
then you get to blame it on having more power than the normal guys.
lost 100 pounds and popped a spoke the other day on the same wheels i rode before i lost the weight. so that's the story i'm going with