Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

A fat guy on a four day bicycle tour

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

A fat guy on a four day bicycle tour

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-13, 06:43 PM
chefisaac

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by goldfinch
Turtles frequently empty their bladder when you pick them up. It generally it is best to just leave the turtles alone. But since so many are killed by cars it is good to help them cross busy roads. Be sure to move them in the direction they are traveling, just to the edge of the road.
Thank you for the info!
Old 07-12-13, 09:58 PM
jimmyj726

Bikes: 97 Schwinn Moab; 15 Surly Disc Trucker

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great read Chefisaac. I certainly can relate to the heat and humidity you endured. Sweat pouring into my eyes is my greatest obstacle I have to overcome while biking (besides building distance and endurance ). I look forward to touring someday. Articles like yours inspires me.
Old 07-12-13, 11:13 PM
jeepseahawk
[IMG]https://i4.photobucke

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Awesome write-up, touring is next on bucket list, have pretty much everything except the time.
Old 07-13-13, 02:08 AM
chefisaac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jimmyj726
Great read Chefisaac. I certainly can relate to the heat and humidity you endured. Sweat pouring into my eyes is my greatest obstacle I have to overcome while biking (besides building distance and endurance ). I look forward to touring someday. Articles like yours inspires me.
Thank you for your kind words. If you need any help. please feel free to reach out.
Old 07-13-13, 02:09 AM
chefisaac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jeepseahawk
Awesome write-up, touring is next on bucket list, have pretty much everything except the time.
Its a blast. Even to just get away for a night or two. Peaceful.
Old 07-13-13, 04:51 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,581 Times in 7,337 Posts
Originally Posted by chefisaac
Always looking at the negative.

Thats why they call it stealth camping. Dont think for a second, Dave, that I didnt do my homework. I had four places planned and also a camp site I could have gone to. This trip was pretty wrapped up. Thanks for reading though
It won't be so positive when you are in jail. As you describe, two people rode past you well-researched "stealth site," so it wasn't so stealth. All it would have taken is for one of them to mention it to a parent who then calls the Cape May police. Or maybe some kids could have come to the dug out to make out and saw you washing your junk. In this day and age, kids are taught to report stuff like that.

Cape May goes to great lengths to preserve its image as an exclusive town that doesn't put up with law breakers, and the summer rent-a-cops can be very aggressive. What you did where you did it was not a smart thing, whether you want to believe that or not.
Old 07-13-13, 05:28 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,581 Times in 7,337 Posts
I think stealth camping in urban areas has to be somewhat risky. I suppose the touring forum discusses the issue. Does it end up like helmet threads?

The discussion of stealth camping in the abstract often does, but my comment was focussed on the specific decisions made in this case. It's one thing to pull off the road into the Jersey Pine Barrens away from development and pitch a tent. It's another to "stealth" camp (two people rode right through his site) on public property in an exclusive jersey shore community where people pay millions of dollars for homes. (My GF's dad has a house up the cost a bit in Avalon. It's old, somewhat dowdy and nowhere near the beach. He could easily get over $1 million for it. People pay millions just for the land as when older properties are sold, the houses are often usually torn down and replaced.) And then to bathe in a ball field dugout? Come on. How many kids go to dugouts to hang out and smoke cigarettes or make out? I have seen that very thing on tour. Whether he can comprehend it or not, in this particular case, he took a huge risk to save $40-$50.

My comment has nothing to do with being negative and everything to do with understanding your surroundings and making smart decisions. Let's hope he's not too stubborn to learn something, even if he won't admit it.
Old 07-13-13, 07:14 AM
Cyril 

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Good report. I got hot and tired just reading it.

I think stealth camping in urban areas has to be somewhat risky. I suppose the touring forum discusses the issue. Does it end up like helmet threads?
Yes
Old 07-13-13, 01:54 PM
chefisaac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by indyfabz
It won't be so positive when you are in jail. As you describe, two people rode past you well-researched "stealth site," so it wasn't so stealth. All it would have taken is for one of them to mention it to a parent who then calls the Cape May police. Or maybe some kids could have come to the dug out to make out and saw you washing your junk. In this day and age, kids are taught to report stuff like that.

Cape May goes to great lengths to preserve its image as an exclusive town that doesn't put up with law breakers, and the summer rent-a-cops can be very aggressive. What you did where you did it was not a smart thing, whether you want to believe that or not.
Depends on how you define smart.

Perhaps your can recommend a lawyer.

I hear what you are saying Dave. Thanks for the input.
Old 07-13-13, 01:57 PM
chefisaac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by indyfabz
The discussion of stealth camping in the abstract often does, but my comment was focussed on the specific decisions made in this case. It's one thing to pull off the road into the Jersey Pine Barrens away from development and pitch a tent. It's another to "stealth" camp (two people rode right through his site) on public property in an exclusive jersey shore community where people pay millions of dollars for homes. (My GF's dad has a house up the cost a bit in Avalon. It's old, somewhat dowdy and nowhere near the beach. He could easily get over $1 million for it. People pay millions just for the land as when older properties are sold, the houses are often usually torn down and replaced.) And then to bathe in a ball field dugout? Come on. How many kids go to dugouts to hang out and smoke cigarettes or make out? I have seen that very thing on tour. Whether he can comprehend it or not, in this particular case, he took a huge risk to save $40-$50.

My comment has nothing to do with being negative and everything to do with understanding your surroundings and making smart decisions. Let's hope he's not too stubborn to learn something, even if he won't admit it.
Life is all about risk Dave. As you know, through your reading, many people have done riskier stuff with stealth camping. Was it right? Depends. Was it risky? Sure. It is what it is. I can pay for a camp site and get crappy sleep with both neighbors making so much noise, drinking, etc or I can have a peaceful night elsewhere. Do I admit I could have picked a better place? Yes. Will I next time? Yes. Same place I bet just further back. My mistake. I think, if I am not mistaken Dave, we learn from our mistakes.
Old 07-13-13, 07:23 PM
CandSAdventures

Bikes: Fuji Robaix, Specialized Stumpjumper

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Enjoyed the write up! Sounds like fun. Heat/Wind/Salty Skin are everyday occurrences when riding in Texas. That said, it sounds like fun to me! The fruit stands made me smile.....I can just smell the peaches and taste the watermelon. I want to give it a try!
Old 07-13-13, 10:07 PM
chefisaac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by CandSAdventures
Enjoyed the write up! Sounds like fun. Heat/Wind/Salty Skin are everyday occurrences when riding in Texas. That said, it sounds like fun to me! The fruit stands made me smile.....I can just smell the peaches and taste the watermelon. I want to give it a try!
The peach smell are killer!!!! Roped me in from a mile away and they fact that they were actually ripe was a treat.
Old 07-14-13, 09:19 AM
Phillyfan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great job. South Jersey is my old stomping ground
Old 07-14-13, 10:22 AM
vesteroid
Climbers Apprentice

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I read the entire thing. You and I discussed camping gear a while back.

Thoughts in random order.

you picked a tough time to do your first trip, hot as heck, crowded, humid, holiday weekend, lots of drunks etc.

you now know time when on tour or hiking is different, its not like riding from home when when you are done, you simply come inside and shower.

Seems as though you mostly ate out, so I question why you carried food and a stove at all, as it appeared you could have eaten out exclusively.

You dont have any issue paying for a 3K bike and camping set up, but wont pay 30 bucks to stay in a campground....that would have eliminated all the wandering around waiting for x and y to happen and would have provided showers.

Take ear plugs camping, I always even in the wilderness have them.

I see all the bags on the bike, and have to believe, have to, that you carried way too much stuff. I just cant imagine what all you needed for four days on the road that could have filled all those bags.

I honestly believe in those temps and with food and water readily available, you could have had half that amount of gear.

great job on your first adventure, use it as a learning tool, and trim your gear down next time.

and Indy, most days your spot on with your comments, but these have been less than constructive.
Old 07-14-13, 11:49 AM
RWBlue01

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Very nice.
Old 07-14-13, 12:16 PM
Cyril 

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Two reasons I don't bother checking in on the touring forums: stealth camping morality and weight weenieism.

Chef...it looks like you had a fantastic time. Don't change a thing for next time. Unless you want to...
Old 07-14-13, 05:45 PM
tomg

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Isaac
I am glad you had a great experience on Tour #1 ! Also enjoyed reading your blog!!
I led club ride of 35 miles today with a cool end @ Maurice River , The LHT is back on the road prepping for Fall-2013 Tour.
See you at the Zoo or Jersey Devil rides?
tomg

Last edited by tomg; 07-14-13 at 05:50 PM.
Old 07-14-13, 05:55 PM
chefisaac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by tomg
Isaac
I am glad you had a great experience on Tour #1 ! Also enjoyed reading your blog!!
I led club ride of 35 miles today with a cool end @ Maurice River , The LHT is back on the road prepping for Fall-2013 Tour.
See you at the Zoo or Jersey Devil rides?
tomg
Tom,

Could have used that nice end at the river today. Are you all just changing or just swimming in your bike clothes?

You were a wonderful host Tom. I appreciate everything you and Tammy did. Thank you!!!!

I hope to see you soon. Traveling for work for 2.5 weeks
Old 07-14-13, 05:56 PM
chefisaac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Cyril
Two reasons I don't bother checking in on the touring forums: stealth camping morality and weight weenieism.

Chef...it looks like you had a fantastic time. Don't change a thing for next time. Unless you want to...
Thanks man!
Old 07-14-13, 06:04 PM
chefisaac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by vesteroid
I read the entire thing. You and I discussed camping gear a while back.

Thoughts in random order.

you picked a tough time to do your first trip, hot as heck, crowded, humid, holiday weekend, lots of drunks etc.

you now know time when on tour or hiking is different, its not like riding from home when when you are done, you simply come inside and shower.

Seems as though you mostly ate out, so I question why you carried food and a stove at all, as it appeared you could have eaten out exclusively.

You dont have any issue paying for a 3K bike and camping set up, but wont pay 30 bucks to stay in a campground....that would have eliminated all the wandering around waiting for x and y to happen and would have provided showers.

Take ear plugs camping, I always even in the wilderness have them.

I see all the bags on the bike, and have to believe, have to, that you carried way too much stuff. I just cant imagine what all you needed for four days on the road that could have filled all those bags.

I honestly believe in those temps and with food and water readily available, you could have had half that amount of gear.

great job on your first adventure, use it as a learning tool, and trim your gear down next time.

and Indy, most days your spot on with your comments, but these have been less than constructive.
Thank you for your feedback. Would you review the packing list sometime?

I know the time of the year was not the best but it was when I had off from work and needed/wanted to make it work. I actually didnt encounter any drunks but I was not out late at night riding after dark per say.

This trip was funny because on the last two trips, I cooked 2 of 3 of the meals daily. I thought this time would be the same but nope, only cooked a few meals.