Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

What is the standard for stops during long rides?

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

What is the standard for stops during long rides?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-13, 02:16 PM
Jarrett2

Bikes: Steel 1x's

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Camelbak?
Old 08-09-13, 02:26 PM
lsberrios1 

Bikes: '13 Spech Roubaix SL4 Expert

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jarrett2
Camelbak?
Thought about that.... might be the only option. I guess I'll take my two bottles, 2 bananas, 2 energy bars, camelbak and a pack of cigarrettes.. DONE!
Old 08-09-13, 02:44 PM
Chitown_Mike
That guy from the Chi

Bikes: 88 Trek 800 - gone to new cheeks; '14 Trek 1.2 - aka The X1 Advanced; '13 Trek 3500 Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by lsberrios1
I am planning to do a solo Metric this sunday. I am afraid there wont be any grocery stores or gas stations on it so I dont know how I'll do to refill my water bottles. Anybody got a recommendation? The metric is the one in Cartersville Ga BBC in case anybody knows about stops... Ive only ridden the 32 miler which didnt require me to fill up on anything.

There is a path I take that has a similar situation to it and I make sure to fill up both bottles before I leave civilization. I have also found forest preserve areas that have pumps, but usually I am good for about an hour and a half or so and can cover the required distance in that time.
Old 08-09-13, 02:52 PM
volosong

Bikes: n + 1

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 15 Posts
I am planning to do a solo Metric this Sunday. I am afraid there wont be any grocery stores or gas stations on it so I dont know how I'll do to refill my water bottles. Anybody got a recommendation? The metric is the one in Cartersville Ga BBC in case anybody knows about stops... Ive only ridden the 32 miler which didn't require me to fill up on anything.
Tough one! First, I'd ensure my two bottles are the larger size, (i.e., 25 oz.). I really like the Camelbak Podium Chill bottles. They are somewhat insulated, which helps if the temperature is moderate. As to the temperature, the hotter it is, the more water I need. Anything in the low-70s or lower, I can get through a metric with two 25-ounce bottles. Hotter and I'll need more. Either re-fill somewhere in the last half of the route, or purchase something. Depending on how hot you expect it to be, you might consider carrying an extra bottle in one of your jersey pockets.

Personally, I don't like doing that and for rides where I know it will be hot, or rides that I know water fill-up opportunities will be sparse, I attach a TT type bottle holder to my seat. That carry two more 25-ounce bottles. Those holders are not inexpensive, (a quick internet search shows prices between 50-80 bucks), but when you need the water, you have to have it. The bracket attaches to the underside of the seat rails. I lose my seat bag, (spare tube, tire irons, patch kit, etc.), but figured out a way to attach it to the bottle bracket, (between the two bottles). I have an older version of this one. Know for sure I didn't pay no 80 clams for mine. That's a silly stupid price for what it is.

If I'm on a ride where I'll be using that seat bottle bracket, those bottles will have set in the freezer half-filled with water overnight. The next morning before I ride, I'll fill them the rest of the way with water. This way, when I've gone through my two frame mounted bottles, the two on the seat bracket will still be pretty cool. The ice will probably have melted by then, but the water will be palatable. (Last year, in 104 degree temperatures, I couldn't drink my bottle water because it was so hot. Endeavored to figure out a way to avoid that again, and the half frozen bottle is my current solution.)

I do not have one, but understand that there is a seat post mounted single bottle bracket available. Never investigated because the twin seat bracket works for me.

Last edited by volosong; 08-09-13 at 02:56 PM.
Old 08-09-13, 02:56 PM
Jarrett2

Bikes: Steel 1x's

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I just found rule #32 . My bike has a suspension fork, so I should be ok
Old 08-09-13, 02:58 PM
lsberrios1 

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by volosong
Tough one! First, I'd ensure my two bottles are the larger size, (i.e., 25 oz.). I really like the Camelbak Podium Chill bottles. They are somewhat insulated, which helps if the temperature is moderate. As to the temperature, the hotter it is, the more water I need. Anything in the low-70s or lower, I can get through a metric with two 25-ounce bottles. Hotter and I'll need more. Either re-fill somewhere in the last half of the route, or purchase something. Depending on how hot you expect it to be, you might consider carrying an extra bottle in one of your jersey pockets.

Personally, I don't like doing that and for rides where I know it will be hot, or rides that I know water fill-up opportunities will be sparse, I attach a TT type bottle holder to my seat. That carry two more 25-ounce bottles. Those holders are not inexpensive, (a quick internet search shows prices between 50-80 bucks), but when you need the water, you have to have it. The bracket attaches to the underside of the seat rails. I lose my seat bag, (spare tube, tire irons, patch kit, etc.), but figured out a way to attach it to the bottle bracket, (between the two bottles). I have this one.

If I'm on a ride where I'll be using that seat bottle bracket, those bottles will have set in the freezer half-filled with water overnight. The next morning before I ride, I'll fill them the rest of the way with water. This way, when I've gone through my two frame mounted bottles, the two on the seat bracket will still be pretty cool. The ice will probably have melted by then, but the water will be palatable. (Last year, in 104 degree temperatures, I couldn't drink my bottle water because it was so hot. Endeavored to figure out a way to avoid that again, and the half frozen bottle is my current solution.)

I do not have one, but understand that there is a seat post mounted single bottle bracket available. Never investigated because the twin seat bracket works for me.
Thought about that as well but I'd think they are more than that... Are they easily removable when not using? I just saw a camelbak 70oz pack for 44 bucks... I think that might be hard to beat and since I am riding solo i am not racing and aero advantage might not be an issue.. Also the bottles getting hot might be an issue (even though u figured how to beat it). I assume the camelbak will stay cool for extended periods of time and 70oz is more water than i'd ever need, which is a good thing

You got me thinking though...
Old 08-09-13, 03:01 PM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Bikes: one for everything

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Liked 913 Times in 275 Posts
my last solo century, I stopped for 20 mins at the mile 60 mark for coffee, muffin and refill my bottles. All other "resting" is done at red lights. I'm usually time limited to pack as many miles or climbing as I can. But I seem to be the exception from the rules.
Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.
Old 08-09-13, 03:07 PM
volosong

Thought about that as well but I'd think they are more than that... Are they easily removable when not using? I just saw a camelbak 70oz pack for 44 bucks... I think that might be hard to beat and since I am riding solo i am not racing and aero advantage might not be an issue.. Also the bottles getting hot might be an issue (even though u figured how to beat it). I assume the camelbak will stay cool for extended periods of time and 70oz is more water than i'd ever need, which is a good thing

You got me thinking though...
Just an allen wrench to attach or remove - two bolts. About five minutes total, and most of that is hunting down the right sized wrench. I have a Camelbak type packpack too, (got it at Costco the other year, so it isn't a Camelbak branded thingie, but the same idea). I have never used it because I don't like stuff on my back when riding. Smaller things in the pockets are bad enough.

I don't have one for the aero advantages, but because it is the most convenient, and pretty much only, location.

Now you got me thinking too. I was watching an YouTube video of the Tour de France in the 60's earlier this week and all those bikes had water bottles attached to their handlebars. They were twin holders and the bottles were vertical in front of the handlebar/stem, between the brake levers. I wonder if those brackets are available anymore?
Old 08-09-13, 03:09 PM
brons2
Hook 'Em Horns

Bikes: Mine: Paul Taylor Custom 66cm, Rivendell custom 68cm, '75 Eisentraut Touring 69cm, 68cm track frame of indeterminate origin, '92 Cannondale M500. Ours: '93 Burley Duet tandem XL. Hers: L Mercier Sora thingy

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I usually stop when I'm out of fluids, personally.
Old 08-09-13, 03:52 PM
donalson
just pedal

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, trek 560

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Camelbak?
I finally picked up some new water bottles... I can get about 20 miles out of my two 20oz bottles... my has braze-ons for 3 so I can add another... but most people don't.

if that is the case you could add this

topeak modula xl... can get it for about $10 online and will hold a 1.5L water bottle (about 50oz) I'm putting one on my disc trucker and just ordered some 24oz bottles... so I can carry about 100oz of water on my frame without issue.

for camelbak... I've used one for years... off road I won't go with anything else... it also makes it much easier to get a quick sip of water... even when climbing or something like that but on the road here in TX its HOT... also I refuse to use things like gatorade or whatever in the bladder and lastly if for some reason I need to refill it it's a huge PITA compared to a bottle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_8152.jpg (93.0 KB, 26 views)
Old 08-09-13, 04:12 PM
donalson
just pedal

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
this is pretty neat... holds about 2 bottles worth and mounts under your then runs the hose up front to where you can use it and it looks like it has a small compartment for your spare tube and tools

https://www.rei.com/product/815173/showers-pass-veleau-42-hydration-system-42-fl-oz,-black?preferredSku=8151730001&cm_mmc=cse_PLA-_-pla-_-product-_-8151730001&mr:referralID=91245f43-0140-11e3-9389-001b2166c62d

https://cyclingperspective.com/showers-pass-veleau/

Attached Images
IMG_1643-copy.jpg (93.9 KB, 17 views)
6157.jpg (65.4 KB, 16 views)

Last edited by donalson; 08-09-13 at 04:17 PM.
Old 08-09-13, 05:50 PM
mprelaw

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I am planning to do a solo Metric this sunday. I am afraid there wont be any grocery stores or gas stations on it so I dont know how I'll do to refill my water bottles. Anybody got a recommendation? The metric is the one in Cartersville Ga BBC in case anybody knows about stops... Ive only ridden the 32 miler which didnt require me to fill up on anything.
Two bottles in the cages, a third in a jersey pocket. You should be able to do 62 miles on 3 bottles of water.
Old 08-09-13, 06:18 PM
CandSAdventures

Bikes: Fuji Robaix, Specialized Stumpjumper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I see people on the forum talking about doing long rides, for example going 100 miles on a ride. Does that mean that the rider is pedaling non stop for 100 miles straight? Or are there breaks involved during the ride? If so, how frequent are the breaks and how long in duration? Do you stop on the side of the road and stand over your frame for a minute or so or do you get off and spend five minutes on a bench?

I'm planning on attempting my first 40 mile ride in the morning and trying to get a good idea of what stops should be involved, if any.
Hey Jarrett, there is some nice scenery around you. I recently did the Cow Creek ride. The specific route is on Mapmyride.....If they have not harvested the sunflowers yet, it is stunning from a bike.

The best advice I can give you is over plan on the water. Start drinking before you ride. Yes we have a "cool" front this weekend....but 99 is still hot. Drink as you go. Everyone is different on their needs. With this heat, I would plan on a route that I could fill my water bottles as I went. I carried two on the CC ride. It was not this hot then but I still drank about 3/4 of a bottle every hour. Take some snacks. I throw some peanut butter crackers in my pocket and have a snack on the longer rides.

Take all the breaks you want. It is your ride and you need to ride it so that you enjoy it. If you push too hard, you suffer. Suffering is not the point. Riding is the first goal, finishing the ride is the second goal.
Old 08-09-13, 06:38 PM
IBOHUNT

Bikes: Motobecane Fantom Cross; Cannondale Supersix replaced the Giant TCR which came to an untimely death by truck

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by jsigone
my last solo century, I stopped for 20 mins at the mile 60 mark for coffee, muffin and refill my bottles. All other "resting" is done at red lights. I'm usually time limited to pack as many miles or climbing as I can. But I seem to be the exception from the rules.
I'm about the same way. Last century I did I stopped for a total of 21 min; all to refill the bottles.

This thread got me thinking and on tonight's ride I had to stop at the 36 mile mark. Downed 2 bottles by then; needed one more to finish the ride. Total time I was stopped was 6 1/2 min.
Old 08-09-13, 07:45 PM
Chitown_Mike
That guy from the Chi

Bikes: 88 Trek 800 - gone to new cheeks; '14 Trek 1.2 - aka The X1 Advanced; '13 Trek 3500 Disc

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by donalson
this is pretty neat... holds about 2 bottles worth and mounts under your then runs the hose up front to where you can use it and it looks like it has a small compartment for your spare tube and tools

https://www.rei.com/product/815173/showers-pass-veleau-42-hydration-system-42-fl-oz,-black?preferredSku=8151730001&cm_mmc=cse_PLA-_-pla-_-product-_-8151730001&mr:referralID=91245f43-0140-11e3-9389-001b2166c62d

That thing is very cool!
Old 08-09-13, 08:38 PM
IBOHUNT

Bikes: Motobecane Fantom Cross; Cannondale Supersix replaced the Giant TCR which came to an untimely death by truck

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by donalson

$80
A bit salty for my taste...
Old 08-09-13, 08:50 PM
rangerbill

Bikes: 92 Giant Perigee/ 85 Peugeot P8 / 94 Specialized Allez Sport/ 93 Specialized Rockhopper/ 96 Specialized Rockhopper/ 2000 Gary Fisher Gitche Gumee/ 93 Cignal Ozark MTB/ Pacific Dualie Tandem

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Just a piece of advice. When you do take breaks sit up, lean the bike up, act perky, waive and smile. Not like I did once, lay the bike down in the grass and lay down on the soft grass and watch the clouds roll by. As relaxing as it is, the stress of motorists stopping to ask if you are O.K and if you got a tag number isn't worth it LOL
Old 08-09-13, 09:04 PM
donalson
just pedal

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by IBOHUNT
$80
A bit salty for my taste...
for me as well... but it's not that bad when you consider if I went down to the local preformance bike I'd spend $20 for two insulated 24oz bottles, another $20 for two cheap alu bottle cages (closer to $30 if you go plastic and on up if you want carbon)... and then another $15-20 for an inexpensive under saddle bag

that being said... I did see where someone tied a camelbak along the top tube of his bike for touring...
Old 08-10-13, 06:36 AM
goldfinch

Bikes: Norco Search, Terry Classic, Serotta Classique, Trek Cali carbon hardtail, 1969 Schwinn Collegiate, Giant Cadex

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Some of you sure don't seem to have to pee often. I always end up stopping within the first ten miles just to use a bathroom.

After a bonk even early this summer I am very careful to eat a little as I go if the ride is more than a couple of hours.
Old 08-10-13, 08:51 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 293 Times in 216 Posts
Originally Posted by goldfinch
Some of you sure don't seem to have to pee often. I always end up stopping within the first ten miles just to use a bathroom.

After a bonk even early this summer I am very careful to eat a little as I go if the ride is more than a couple of hours.
you should see a doctor about that
you could have prostate problems
or diabetes
Old 08-10-13, 08:59 AM
mprelaw

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Wilfred Laurier
or diabetes
Highly doubt that it's prostate related.
Old 08-10-13, 09:02 AM
irwin7638

Bikes: Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy, Soma Buena Vista, Giant Talon 2, Brompton

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by goldfinch

I sweat so much I rarely have to pee when I'm riding. To answer the OP's question I usually stop after 25 miles or so. I depends how I feel.

Marc
Old 08-10-13, 09:15 AM
goldfinch

Bikes: Norco Search, Terry Classic, Serotta Classique, Trek Cali carbon hardtail, 1969 Schwinn Collegiate, Giant Cadex

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Wilfred Laurier
or diabetes
No and no.

Old 08-10-13, 03:32 PM
lsberrios1 

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well here it is. Went with the Tri bottle cages. I just hope they dont get warm tomorrow! decided to go that route because I am having neck issues and i think that the camelback would have made it a little worse, even being light and all.. looks kinda funny and weighs like 50 pounds now but whatever, as long as I dont die of dehydration i should be fine

Old 08-10-13, 03:48 PM
volosong

Ride safe. Report back and let us know how you made out.

p.s. Be careful getting on and off. You'll knock 'em with your leg every time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.