Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Mirror, thoughts and recommendations

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Mirror, thoughts and recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-23, 03:44 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10968 Post(s)
Liked 7,494 Times in 4,190 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
That’s your opinion. Many of us like to know what is coming up behind us.

You do know that mirrors work further away than “mere feet”

And I thought the EVT mirror was stupidly expensive. $150 to $400 depending on options!!!!!!!!???? That is ridiculous money!
cycco has entered the chat. Fun.

- yes saying it's of little use is obviously my opinion. And yet, I use a device that tells me how many vehicles are behind me and their relative speed. It's of little value, yet I participate in knowing. Human condition is odd.
The point of saying it's of little value was to simply highlight that if you ride predictably and visibly, seeing what's behind you isn't critical. The OP politely pointed to a situation where it is of use and I agree with that.

- of course a mirror works for more than a few feet behind the rider. You are being obtuse.
When a car is 100' away, there is no reason to think an issue is impending. When a car is 50' away there is no reason to thing an issue is impending. Heck, even 20' away- same thing. If a car hasn't moved over when they are 20' away, that isn't exactly outnof the ordinary and therefore not much cause for concern.
It is only when a car is a few feet away that their not moving over would be a concern...and by then, it's too late.
So really, do you flip out and bail if a car hasn't moved over when they are 50' away? If not, why not? And if not, what distance away from you do you bail?

As for the cost of a Varia, yeah it it costs more than a plastic mirror.
Old 10-31-23, 04:22 PM
Rick_D

Bikes: Litespeed Firenze, Spot Acme, Specialzed S Works Pro Race, Davidson Stiletto, Colnago Superissimo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 302 Times in 173 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
- Knowing what is coming behind you is of little value. Ride predictably and visibly and traffic will pass. Using a mirror to notice there could be an issue when a car is mere feet behind you is likely not helpful.
- Use a Garmin Varia radar with included light. The light patter changes when cars approach, to help them notice you and the radar displays the vehicle on your phone or gps and gives a visual so you can tell how fast the car is approaching, as well as how many are behind you at any given time.

How early should a vehicle move over for you to not be concerned? Not trying to argue, but if it hasnt moved over 100' before passing...then what? Do you bail into the grass along the road? Do you swerve into the road further to be seen? I am unsure why a mirror to confirm a vehicle has moved over is beneficial when many cars dont really move over before probably 30' or so, based on what I see when riding and driving.

Anyways, a couple old guys I know and rode with for years have eyeglass mirrors and love em. Thats probably the way to go since you use bar end shifters.
This from the OP is a related issue, especially for city cycling.
to be able to see what is coming from behind me when I want to migrate to the middle of the road to do a turn
Agree that being visible is on us, but distracted drivers are and will remain a threat.
Old 10-31-23, 04:28 PM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 318 Posts
I've tried this and wouldn't recommend it. I now ride with rear radar but I understand this may not be great for urban commuting.
Old 10-31-23, 04:56 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
- Knowing what is coming behind you is of little value.
Maybe unimportant to you, so speak for yourself....and yet here you are riding with a radar and saying it's unimportant what's coming behind you....Me personally I prefer a handlebar mirror.
Old 10-31-23, 05:11 PM
Pratt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 295 Posts
Bike #1 has bar end shifters, bike #2 has little bull horn (really more calf horn) ends.
I got a piece of microphone flex from a musical supply company called Sweetwater and round the end fitting off (the spring steel flex just laughed at my hacksaw, it tickled). Then I epoxied the end into a little block of wood and screwed (bike #1, or glued bike #2) a mirror to the wood. A hose clamp holds the flex to the handlebar.
I wanted the mirror to always be with the bike. A side benefit has been that the mirror is very robust and has survived falls and railroad baggage handlers without incident (now I've probably jinxed them).
Old 10-31-23, 05:16 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6220 Post(s)
Liked 4,221 Times in 2,367 Posts
cycco has entered the chat. Fun.

- yes saying it's of little use is obviously my opinion. And yet, I use a device that tells me how many vehicles are behind me and their relative speed. It's of little value, yet I participate in knowing. Human condition is odd.
The point of saying it's of little value was to simply highlight that if you ride predictably and visibly, seeing what's behind you isn't critical. The OP politely pointed to a situation where it is of use and I agree with that.
Inconsistent much? You, personally, need one but I (and other cyclists) don’t. You, personally, find value in them but I (and other cyclists) shouldn’t use a mirror because…reasons .

- of course a mirror works for more than a few feet behind the rider. You are being obtuse.
Of course I’m being obtuse but that’s the proper response to someone who seems to imply that a mirror is only useful for a few feet.

When a car is 100' away, there is no reason to think an issue is impending. When a car is 50' away there is no reason to thing an issue is impending. Heck, even 20' away- same thing. If a car hasn't moved over when they are 20' away, that isn't exactly outnof the ordinary and therefore not much cause for concern.
It is only when a car is a few feet away that their not moving over would be a concern...and by then, it's too late.
So really, do you flip out and bail if a car hasn't moved over when they are 50' away? If not, why not? And if not, what distance away from you do you bail?
Um…huh? That applies to any method of looking behind you, whether it be a $5 mirror or a $400 radar unit or even the free method of looking behind you. You aren’t making sense nor a cogent point.

As for the cost of a Varia, yeah it it costs more than a plastic mirror.
A plastic mirror that is just as effective without any of the down sides…like not being all that useful in city situations.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Last edited by cyccommute; 10-31-23 at 05:26 PM.
Likes For cyccommute:
Old 10-31-23, 06:49 PM
David_Harris

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 410 Times in 150 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyG
I've been using a glasses mounted Take-A-Look Mirror for over 25 years. It's metal and brass. If you don't wear glasses, you could start wearing safety glasses. Or I think some people mount them to their helmets.

On my glasses, at least, I merely have to slightly twist the mirror into place at the beginning of my ride and it stays put, even after 10 years of use on the current one. The previous one is at least 25 years old and I keep it in the shed with the bikes for quick, impromptu rides.

I don’t have those years of experience with it, but that same brand is what I use on my glasses and prescription sunglasses. It took a bit to get used to having it there, but now I get irritated that it isn’t there if I forget to put it on. Very useful and effective.
Old 10-31-23, 06:52 PM
macattack71

Bikes: 2011 Cannondale SuperSix 3, 1987 Raleigh Technium 440

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 16 Posts
I like my CycleAware helmet mount mirror. I check it when I hear a car getting close, and when I need to start changing lanes. Feel naked on a commute without it. I also use a flashing strobe taillight and a rear helmet light, along with flashing handlebar light. Can't be too careful out there.
CycleAware

Last edited by macattack71; 10-31-23 at 06:55 PM.
Old 10-31-23, 06:56 PM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 348 Posts
Originally Posted by macattack71
I like my CycleAware helmet mount mirror. I check it when I hear a car getting close, and when I need to start changing lanes. Feel naked on a commute without it. I also use a flashing strobe taillight and a rear helmet light, along with flashing handlebar light. Can't be too careful out there.
CycleAware
Ditto
Old 10-31-23, 07:10 PM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 1,593 Times in 739 Posts
Originally Posted by sacr
The mirror I purchased off ebay is a copy of this, but optically was useless. Have you used one of these to verify that it has a proper glass flat mirror in it? More than likely, I will need to purchase online and not be able to inspect how good the mirror is.

Lol, at least no-one told me to get rid of the bar end shifters, get a new bike
Your forks are bent!
The Hafny with the glare blocker was/is much better than the flimsy mirror it replaced, and I think it'll pass muster.
Old 10-31-23, 07:11 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1948 Post(s)
Liked 1,472 Times in 1,020 Posts
OP says he uses bar end shifters.
7 different posters suggest a bar end plug style mirror.
Classic BF thread.
I am surprised that none of them suggested OP to run 1x just to fit a bar end mirror.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 10-31-23, 07:16 PM
jlaw

Bikes: 2015 Spec. AWOL Elite,2022 Spec. Diverge, 1984 Trek 620 1985 Trek 620, 1979 Trek 710

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 110 Posts
I have 3 of the Ortlieb Ultralight mirrors. It's convex, but is a good size and it mostly stays put.in bumpy conditions. Photo.

$30 - https://www.rei.com/product/188637/d...c=ds&gclsrc=ds

I also bought the Garmin Varia recently. Very effective and easy to use with the phone app. - no need for a bike-specific computer.

The Varia allows me to relax more and focus more of my attention forward. Definitely worth the $200. But, make sure you have a way to mount it, especially if you use an under-seat bag.

I modified an inexpensive Amazon Garmin mount (seat rail) to work as a fender mount - photos. The Varia works in the upside-down orientation (light at the bottom), but not sure if Garmin recommends this.

The mirror and the Garmin are a great combination.

Last edited by jlaw; 10-31-23 at 07:23 PM.
Old 10-31-23, 07:29 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1948 Post(s)
Liked 1,472 Times in 1,020 Posts
Originally Posted by jlaw
I have 3 of the Ortlieb Ultralight mirrors. ...

The mirror seems to be in the way of the left brake lever, at least when riding in the drops.
Old 10-31-23, 07:57 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 2,058 Posts
I found most drop bar mounted mirrors didn't sit out far enough to see around my panniers when commuting. I didn't like the helmet/glasses as it blocked part of my front view here in the urban jungle of reckless drivers.

I ended up with this Axiom DLX strap on. Perfect - no, but good enough to tell what's coming. I can also spin it out of the way when it's parked in my garage to walk between the bike & car. First one I bought had bolts at the pivots, second they went to rivets which were crap. Drilled them out and replaced with SS bolts.

And yeah, we got snow today

Likes For dedhed:
Old 10-31-23, 08:01 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 2,058 Posts
- Knowing what is coming behind you is of little value. Ride predictably and visibly and traffic will pass. Using a mirror to notice there could be an issue when a car is mere feet behind you is likely not helpful.
- Use a Garmin Varia radar with included light. The light patter changes when cars approach, to help them notice you and the radar displays the vehicle on your phone or gps and gives a visual so you can tell how fast the car is approaching, as well as how many are behind you at any given time.

How early should a vehicle move over for you to not be concerned? Not trying to argue, but if it hasnt moved over 100' before passing...then what? Do you bail into the grass along the road? Do you swerve into the road further to be seen? I am unsure why a mirror to confirm a vehicle has moved over is beneficial when many cars dont really move over before probably 30' or so, based on what I see when riding and driving.

Anyways, a couple old guys I know and rode with for years have eyeglass mirrors and love em. Thats probably the way to go since you use bar end shifters.
I don't know what world you live in, but I literally looked in my mirror more than ahead when I commuted. I could see blocks ahead to identify issues coming up but in my world of epidemic reckless driving behind was VERY important. And yes, I have in fact bailed into the grass over the curb. Hell here they'll run into a parked school bus so a bike is nothing. They even have a name for it "The Milwaukee Slide"

Old 10-31-23, 08:56 PM
rollagain
Lopsided biped

Bikes: 2017 Day 6 Cyclone (the Buick); 2015 Simcoe Deluxe (the Xebec); Street Strider 3i (the not-a-bike); GreenSpeed Anura (the Black Swan)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 97 Posts
I recommend an EVT Safe Zone mirror. Oddly, it forces me to wear my helmet, which I might not do otherwise, because there is literally no place at all to mount a mirror on my GreenSpeed Anura. I didn't get it for that, though; I got it when I started riding the Street-Strider--also with noplace to mount a mirror.

It's a little on the large side and slightly obtrusive, but not so much, and gives an excellent view to the rear. It's quite stable.

In the past I have used lighter-weight smaller mirrors that attach to the helmet with velcro, and the ones that mount on eyeglass frames, and they were all too flimsy and went out of adjustment easily. I do have handlebar mirrors on my more conventional bikes.
Old 10-31-23, 09:01 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
I like the Mirrycle. It's got the right convexity.

https://mirrycle.com/product/mirrycle-mirror/
Old 10-31-23, 09:53 PM
keraba2

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Another vote for the Take-a-look mirror. I put mine on my sunglasses. They may look flimsy but that metal is tough, it is trivial to put the mirror where you want it and it *stays* there.
Likes For keraba2:
Old 10-31-23, 10:20 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Originally Posted by wolfchild
Maybe unimportant to you, so speak for yourself....and yet here you are riding with a radar and saying it's unimportant what's coming behind you....Me personally I prefer a handlebar mirror.
You and cycco seem to think I am trying to speak for everyone. I am not. I have not claimed or implied that I am speaking for everyone.

As for my use of a Varia radar, I cited the main way in which I find it useful. That use case makes it worthwhile to me.
On roads, I will sometimes glance back as I see cars are approaching on my head unit, but I also trust that I am safe due to being visible and predictable.
Old 10-31-23, 10:25 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Inconsistent much? You, personally, need one but I (and other cyclists) don’t. You, personally, find value in them but I (and other cyclists) shouldn’t use a mirror because…reasons .
I cited my main reason for using a Varia. I will repeat it in a different way- I find value in it because I am not doing the 2 things I have mentioned in this thread which are best to do.
When riding on geavel roads, I am continually moving around to select the best line. As a result, I am not riding predictably. There is sometimes dust which reduces visibility. Furthermore, wind and surface noise makes it difficult to hear what's behind me.

All that adds up to make the radar helpful. If I rode on pavement only and rode predictably with good visibility, I likely wouldn't have the Varia.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 10-31-23, 10:25 PM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Originally Posted by RCMoeur
Most of the mirrors I have are ones I've been using for many years. I hadn't realized that nearly all drop bar compatible mirrors currently on the market mount in the bar end, which on OP's bike is occupied by the shifter. There used to be a good mirror whose mount wrapped around the brake hood and secured with velcro - I currently use this on two of my bikes that use drop-bar levers, but it doesn't seem to be available anymore on the open market.

Looking online, the Zefal Spy might work. Yes, it uses a rubber strap mount, but it looks like the strap might cinch tight enough on the bars to not move / vibrate as much. I haven't used one, though.

I've broken the glass out of several mirrors due to minor crashes and the bike falling over on the mirror side. I just bought a 50 pack of 3" nominal round mirror glass (actually 2 7/8" - perfect replacement size for many models) to repair past, current, and future broken mirrors.
I think you are talking about the old Rhode Gear Take-a-Look mirror. Blackburn has a similar design. I think Blackburn bought the design from Rhode Gear.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 10-31-23, 10:32 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Originally Posted by jlaw
The Varia allows me to relax more and focus more of my attention forward. Definitely worth the $200. But, make sure you have a way to mount it, especially if you use an under-seat bag.

I modified an inexpensive Amazon Garmin mount (seat rail) to work as a fender mount - photos. The Varia works in the upside-down orientation (light at the bottom), but not sure if Garmin recommends this.

The mirror and the Garmin are a great combination.

That fender mount is really creative. Cool work.
As long as the Varia is vertical and perpendicular to the road, it will work regardless of if it's right side up or upside down.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 10-31-23, 10:45 PM
cyccommute 

You and cycco seem to think I am trying to speak for everyone. I am not. I have not claimed or implied that I am speaking for everyone.
Oh, really? Is this not you?

Although I’ve never heard of it but you seem to be using the royal “you”. If you had said “Knowing what is coming behind me is of little value,” I don’t think anyone would have a problem with that. But you are implying that the rest of us don’t need mirrors. To go on and say that you use something that looks back the same way a mirror does while tell the rest of us we don’t need the same thing smacks of “do what I say, not what I do”. While I can’t speak directly for everyone else, I’m reasonable certain that those of us who use mirrors (or even radar) do so for reasons that we find…what’s that work again…oh, yeah…value.

As for my use of a Varia radar, I cited the main way in which I find it useful. That use case makes it worthwhile to me.
On roads, I will sometimes glance back as I see cars are approaching on my head unit, but I also trust that I am safe due to being visible and predictable.
Do you really not understand what the objections to your arguments are? Do you not see the hypocrisy in your statements?

I cited my main reason for using a Varia. I will repeat it in a different way- I find value in it because I am not doing the 2 things I have mentioned in this thread which are best to do.
When riding on geavel roads, I am continually moving around to select the best line. As a result, I am not riding predictably. There is sometimes dust which reduces visibility. Furthermore, wind and surface noise makes it difficult to hear what's behind me.

All that adds up to make the radar helpful. If I rode on pavement only and rode predictably with good visibility, I likely wouldn't have the Varia.
I’ve ridden tens of thousands of dirt roads long before gravel was a thing. I’ve worn a mirror on my glasses or, later, on a helmet for every ride I’ve done…pavement, mountain, or dirt…since the 80s. I also ride predictably every where I ride. I know a few things about wind and surface noise and dust. I also know things about riding in traffic. I will continue to use a mirror in all those situations for the very same reasons you do…even if you say otherwise.

Old 10-31-23, 10:50 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Oh, really? Is this not you?

Although I’ve never heard of it but you seem to be using the royal “you”. If you had said “Knowing what is coming behind me is of little value,” I don’t think anyone would have a problem with that. But you are implying that the rest of us don’t need mirrors. To go on and say that you use something that looks back the same way a mirror does while tell the rest of us we don’t need the same thing smacks of “do what I say, not what I do”. While I can’t speak directly for everyone else, I’m reasonable certain that those of us who use mirrors (or even radar) do so for reasons that we find…what’s that work again…oh, yeah…value.
Oh sweetie, stop with this.
All of it is my opinion and I am not speaking for everyone else. When I say 'knowing what's coming behind you is of little value', that is clearly my opinion.

If you couldn't realize it was my opinion, that's a you issue. You have already said you have been intentionally obtuse in how you read my comments here. Not much reason to continue if you aren't willing to bring your intelligence to the discussion ND instead want to be obtuse and try to play 'gotcha'.
Old 10-31-23, 11:25 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked 1,840 Times in 833 Posts
I think you are talking about the old Rhode Gear Take-a-Look mirror. Blackburn has a similar design. I think Blackburn bought the design from Rhode Gear.
The ones I have use circular mirrors, not the oval. I've used several of the oval mirrors, and the ball joint tends to not stay in place and then eventually fail in fatigue after several years, unlike the simple hinges typically used for circular mirrors.

Of course, Rhode Gear and Blackburn are just sub-brands of Bell Sports these days, so it's not surprising they're sharing branding.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.