Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Colder weather riding clothing

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Colder weather riding clothing

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-23, 10:17 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 414 Posts
I was going to add…what works well for one rider might not work for another rider in the same conditions. There have been occasions when I’ll have amply layers on for me…rather lite IMO…but my hands get cold (sometimes even in the low 60s°F). So I’ll have few, lite layers on my body…but wearing big thick gloves/mittens. Then, I’ll pass other riders who are all bundled up on top, and they’re bare-handed. — Dan
Old 12-30-23, 10:40 AM
jadmt

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 1,899 Times in 849 Posts
trial and error for sure. this was a longer ride (70 miles) I don't think it ever got above 32°F. feet got cold rest was fine. consisted of a $20 jacket, a smartwool base layer, pair of Pearl izumi lobster mitts, cheap costco tights. We were both dressed about the same and my buddy said only his toes were cold as well.

Likes For jadmt:
Old 12-30-23, 10:56 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
The type of clothing you choose to wear on a bike is a personal choice. Experiment by riding in different conditions and find out what you like and what makes you comfortable. Me personally I would never follow and take advice from other cyclists on how to dress for a bike ride. I have my own style which is a mixture of casual /athletic /outdoor clothing.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 12-30-23, 11:05 AM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 348 Posts
Originally Posted by BTinNYC
I just discovered the cycling tights with a very thin fleece layer. The fleece is so thin that I first thought they sent the wrong tights. So toasty. Too warm for for over 45 degrees, but make my cold weather rides easy.
Yep, I got a pair of them that I wear for night rides when I know it's going to drop below 45° shortly after heading out. They're great and you don't need leg warmers or any of that other gear.
Old 12-30-23, 12:38 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
I wear something like that in the 20 f-30 f range.
I have a variety of cheap, different thickness gloves for each temperature range..
Go for some rides. You'll figure out what you need. I prefer to slightly over-dress, and then unzip to let in air if i get too warm. Better than being cold with no way to warm up.
Originally Posted by pepperbelly
Someone gave me an insulated balaclava that covers my mouth and nose. I don't know if it’s practical or not but I would look like a ninja!

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Likes For Homebrew01:
Old 12-30-23, 12:45 PM
Frkl
Must be symmetrical

Bikes: ... but look, they're all totally different!

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 186 Times in 102 Posts
wool layering. protect against insulation loss, not conductive or radiative heat loss. therefore, an emphasis on "wind breaking." Gloves make a disproportionate difference, given the concentration of nerve endings in the hands
Old 12-30-23, 02:33 PM
Jay Turberville

Bikes: 1995 Trek 990 (configured for road), Hotrodded Dahon folder, Trek 1400 (not ridden any more), Iron Horse 3.0 homebrew e-bike, 1984 Trek 770 (trying to resurrect)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 80 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
The type of clothing you choose to wear on a bike is a personal choice. Experiment by riding in different conditions and find out what you like and what makes you comfortable. Me personally I would never follow and take advice from other cyclists on how to dress for a bike ride. I have my own style which is a mixture of casual /athletic /outdoor clothing.
I pretty much agree. Input from others can provide possible ideas for things to try. But that's about it. Just because you are riding a bicycle doesn't mean everything you wear needs to be made for the purpose.
Likes For Jay Turberville:
Old 12-30-23, 03:10 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,836 Times in 2,229 Posts
Wool, long sleeve for 50s. Jerseys in both a medium and a heartier weight. Bib knickers, maybe tall socks..
Old 12-30-23, 03:14 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Quoted: 541 Post(s)
Liked 359 Times in 182 Posts
Originally Posted by Jay Turberville
I pretty much agree. Input from others can provide possible ideas for things to try. But that's about it. Just because you are riding a bicycle doesn't mean everything you wear needs to be made for the purpose.
I was wanting ideas from other riders to get some ideas. I will be trying different things.
Likes For pepperbelly:
Old 12-30-23, 04:41 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,961 Times in 944 Posts
I have always disliked knickers and tights due to the increased fabric resistance when pedaling.
In So Cal valleys, high 30's/low 40's is usually the coldest it gets for me. My preference now is just to wear MTB shorts over bib shorts for the wind block.

If needed, I will wear a pair of Woolie Boolie longer socks but that is rare.
Old 12-30-23, 04:53 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4737 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,004 Posts
Originally Posted by CAT7RDR
I have always disliked knickers and tights due to the increased fabric resistance when pedaling.
In So Cal valleys, high 30's/low 40's is usually the coldest it gets for me. My preference now is just to wear MTB shorts over bib shorts for the wind block.

If needed, I will wear a pair of Woolie Boolie longer socks but that is rare.
?? You're talking about wind resistance? Neither knickers or tights interfere with your pedals. Or are you referring the extra strength required to bend your knees while in the pedaling motion?
Old 12-30-23, 04:57 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1948 Post(s)
Liked 1,471 Times in 1,020 Posts
I am in North Texas so my definition of cold weather will be very different from some in northern states.
I am in SoCal so our climates may be somewhat comparable?

I can be comfortable in my bib shorts and a short sleeve jersey at 60* on a sunny day. I have long bibs that are thicker and a long sleeve jersey and a riding jacket. I figure I can be comfortable at 50* but I don’t want to overheat. At 60-65 in shorts I am building up a sweat after a few miles.
For SoCal "winters" (i.e., from 50*F to about 65*F) Castelli Tutto Nano long sleeve jerseys and bibs work great for me. Although this fabric is fleece-lined and form-fitting, it is quite breathable, no overheating even if I am climbing in the high 60s. The compromise is that Tutto Nano is only moderately water repellent, which is more than sufficient for SoCal. Most winter cycling gear is much more water resistant but much less breathable.

If I ride at under 50* what do y’all wear?
If < 50*F I would wait until late morning or midday for the temperature to climb above 50*F.

I hate cold but if I bundle up too much I will work up a sweat and in cold weather that could be bad.
You may want to reconsider the balance between water resistance and breathability for your climate.

Someone gave me an insulated balaclava that covers my mouth and nose. I don't know if it’s practical or not but I would look like a ninja!
Seems a little excessive for about 50*F. Save it for your next bank visit.

Last edited by SoSmellyAir; 12-30-23 at 06:34 PM.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 12-30-23, 04:58 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,961 Times in 944 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
?? You're talking about wind resistance? Neither knickers or tights interfere with your pedals. Or are you referring the extra strength required to bend your knees while in the pedaling motion?

For me, it becomes more noticeable on longer rides that I'm working harder to overcome the resistance of the fabric as if it is an exercise band, albeit slight, it adds up.

Last edited by CAT7RDR; 12-30-23 at 05:08 PM.
Old 12-30-23, 06:18 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 438 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
It would be a given that any comments any of us made on ANY topic are our own opinion, experience, style and bias. So, I assume other's comments give a different perspective, as does yours, here.

I was wanting ideas from other riders to get some ideas. I will be trying different things.
so this would seem to be a good perspective. hearing/seeing others perpectives on anything provides a larger window on possibilities, an admirable way to consider things.
I agree. I've learned a lot, from perspectives I hadn't had and found new ways to do things.
Every comment, from every user has validity, certainly for themselves. Bits and pieces from the group offer things to try, to see if it works for any of us. A good thing, for me to avail myself of....
Thx
Ride On
Yuri

Last edited by cyclezen; 12-30-23 at 06:21 PM.
Likes For cyclezen:
Old 12-30-23, 06:27 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4737 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,004 Posts
Originally Posted by CAT7RDR

For me, it becomes more noticeable on longer rides that I'm working harder to overcome the resistance of the fabric as if it is an exercise band, albeit slight, it adds up.
Interesting take. OTOH, there's a whole thing about how compression clothing (eg lycra) can aid in training and blood flow.
Old 12-30-23, 06:35 PM
2Mins2Midnight

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Epic Evo, and Carve

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
I live near you (Dallas), and I'm not a fan of the cold either. My winter riding gear has slowly grown over the last decade, though, and I have enough high quality winter riding clothes ow nthat I can enjoy a lot of rides I formerly wouldn't have. The advice I was always given when I first started riding was you want to start out a little chilly on your winter rides. If you're warm from the start, you're going to overheat quickly and get sweaty, making things even worse. If you start a bit cold, you'll feel great in about 10 minutes. I always check the weather so I know the range of temps I'll have from the start to the end of my ride as rides this time of year often start cold and warm drastically by the end.

Last year I invested in a cycling specific warm base layer (Pactimo Thermoregulator) to replace my non-bike specific Under Armour type layers, and it's been incredible. I stay warm, but it regulates my temp enough to keep me from overheating. I'll usually wear a long sleeve jersey or light jacket over it.

Hands are always tricky for me. I have several glove options but haven't found a perfect pair for around 50 degrees yet, which is a common temp here this time of year. I have some lighter gloves that are great for 55+ and a few options of heavier gloves for anything around 45 and below.

A cheap hack for cold feet I see a lot of people doing this time of year is wrapping your toes in aluminum foil. It apparently works pretty well, but I've never tried it.
Likes For 2Mins2Midnight:
Old 12-30-23, 06:51 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1948 Post(s)
Liked 1,471 Times in 1,020 Posts
Originally Posted by 2Mins2Midnight
Hands are always tricky for me. I have several glove options but haven't found a perfect pair for around 50 degrees yet, which is a common temp here this time of year. I have some lighter gloves that are great for 55+ and a few options of heavier gloves for anything around 45 and below.
Below 60*F I wear: HEAD Men’s Ultrafit Touchscreen Running Gloves | Costco

1. Available in 5 sizes so hopefully everyone can find a pair that fits.
2. Ultrafit 4 way stretch fleece keeps hands cozy.
3. Silicone dots on fingers and palms provide decent grip, better than bare hands, especially when damp.
4. Sensatec fingertips for index fingers and thumbs to fiddle with Strava and other apps on iPhone.
5. Can be machine washed in cold water with rest of cycling apparel.

But these gloves may not be grippy enough if you only brake with the tips of your index fingers; I use both my index and my middle fingers.

Last edited by SoSmellyAir; 12-30-23 at 06:55 PM.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 12-30-23, 07:00 PM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Quoted: 465 Post(s)
Liked 547 Times in 307 Posts
Down to freezing I wear thermal bibs from https://fatladattheback.com and Fizik shoe covers. Depending on how close to freezing I wear a FLAB jersey, with a wool base under and if it is below freezing but above 20 I add a poly fleece jacket. Gloves are dependent on temperature. Also, below 40 I add ear muffs.

But the thermal bibs are good for me down to 20F. Below that, I add heavy duty cargo pants, maybe switch to lined pants below 0F.

Also switch over to boots around 20 and to my cold weather boots (Kamik Green Bay) below 0F.

I also have pogies from 45Nrth for colder weather. Dragon Claws for below freezing and Cobra Fist for below 0F
Old 12-30-23, 07:27 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 2,531 Times in 1,059 Posts
I live near you (Dallas), and I'm not a fan of the cold either. My winter riding gear has slowly grown over the last decade, though, and I have enough high quality winter riding clothes ow nthat I can enjoy a lot of rides I formerly wouldn't have. The advice I was always given when I first started riding was you want to start out a little chilly on your winter rides. If you're warm from the start, you're going to overheat quickly and get sweaty, making things even worse. If you start a bit cold, you'll feel great in about 10 minutes. I always check the weather so I know the range of temps I'll have from the start to the end of my ride as rides this time of year often start cold and warm drastically by the end.

Last year I invested in a cycling specific warm base layer (Pactimo Thermoregulator) to replace my non-bike specific Under Armour type layers, and it's been incredible. I stay warm, but it regulates my temp enough to keep me from overheating. I'll usually wear a long sleeve jersey or light jacket over it.

A cheap hack for cold feet I see a lot of people doing this time of year is wrapping your toes in aluminum foil. It apparently works pretty well, but I've never tried it.

This is exactly right. Also, keep in mind that it is unrealistic to be 100% at all times in chilly/cold weather. About the best you hope for is being a a bit warmer than you'd like on climbs, a bit colder than you'd like on descents, and about right on flat terrain. And the newspaper tip is a good one. It has gooten me down several long cold descents.

I see people where I live (SF Bay Area) who dress like they are going on a polar expedition in the winter. I know I would stew in my own juices on any climb and maybe on the flat if I did that, so I don't. I usually have a thin merino wool base layer except in hot weather, and I always have a cycling cap (backwards) on under my helmet. As the temps drop, I add wool jersey layers (all my jerseys are short sleeve), arm warmers, leg warmers, tights (thin merino wool), medium weight wool hiking socks, thin gloves and/or w ear-covering headband. 40 degrees is about as cold as I ride in. For that temp, I'll have three merino wool jerseys (and no thin base layer), arm warmers, bibs, tights (with suspenders), wool socks, hat and headband as an ear warmer, and fairly thin gloves. I do have a goodly amount of my own natural, er, insulation and I tend to run warm.

I very much prefer arm warmers to long sleeve jerseys for the flexibility. 40 degrees in the morning here can become anywhere from 45 to 65 degrees in the afternoon), plus I find arm warmers to be thicker and warmer than long jersey sleeves. I do have leg warmers and use them in the shoulder seasons for the flexibilty, but in the winter I am always in tights.

As others have said, YMMV.
Old 12-30-23, 08:10 PM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 920 Times in 447 Posts
I find my Pearl Izumi Quest AmFIB Jacket to be remarkably versatile. In a size one larger than my t-shirt size, to accommodate a bit of a tummy, the fabric has just the right combination of wind resistance and breathability that works for a wide range of temperatures, depending on what I wear under it, but also on how far I zip it up. I never get 'soaked in sweat' in it.

+1 on Patagonia 'Capilene' thin long-sleeve shirts. Wear them under a short-sleeve jersey for arm-warmers, or under a jacket.

+1 on Peral Izumi 'lobster gloves' - the ones with two fingers instead of four, which makes a real difference in warmth, almost like mittens, but you can still work controls.

Soaked cotton clothing has caused a lot of hypothermia. No cotton in winter for me.
Likes For Fredo76:
Old 12-30-23, 08:56 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

I have a long sleece jersey but I also have 2 long sleeve “fishing” pullover shirts.
Old 12-30-23, 09:47 PM
fooferdoggie 

Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 949 Times in 556 Posts
I see a trend. I really need a windbreaker. Are cycling windbreakers as snug as jerseys?
I have a light cycling jacket that someone gave me. I need to see if it is windproof. I think it is fleece lined.
They flap around and move air so it can make you cooler.

Last edited by fooferdoggie; 12-30-23 at 10:31 PM.
Likes For fooferdoggie:
Old 12-30-23, 10:29 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Originally Posted by fooferdoggie
ion ot they fly around and move air so it can make you cooler.
Are you ok?😎
Old 12-30-23, 10:33 PM
fooferdoggie 

Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 949 Times in 556 Posts
Are you ok?😎
Autocorrect ate my message and spit out junk.
Likes For fooferdoggie:
Old 12-31-23, 06:12 AM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 974 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 352 Posts

Yeah, a bit cold for the first 10 or 15 minutes is helpful. It takes 30 to 40 minutes before my hands and feet fully warm up -- I suppose my core is finally warm enough to allow the extra blood flow.
I was half serious about bringing a fluid trainer to the ride start, and warming up without the strong wind chill of riding at speed!

In Dallas, you don't have the advantage of starting a ride with a long uphill. Our local hills are about 250-300 feet high and around 1 mile long. That really helps.

I avoid really cold rides now, since I can ride on Zwift.

Shell gloves
I had some oversized unlined goretex shell gloves years ago. I can't find ones for sale now.
These were great with a selection of glove liners or thin fleece gloves -- windproof really helps. I could even wear them with no liners if the day warmed up. Easy to wash and/or dry out too.

Now, I have REI shell mittens. They are great for the first 40 minutes of a ride, so I have nice warm fingers. Easy to fold up and store in my pocket too. (I have Di2 shifters, so the mittens aren't a problem. I never tried this with mechanical shifters.)
Likes For rm -rf:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.