Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Winter Sucks - Weekend Snow ruined my Weekend 150-mile Bike Ride Plan

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-24, 05:57 AM
Eyes Roll

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 49 Posts

I woke up early, shaved, showered, packed my food in a container for the day, and I'm raring to go on a 75-mile ride today (and another 75-mile ride tomorrow). Now, as I look outside my window, it's snowing. It is going to snow in the evening. It is going to snow tomorrow, as well. The roads are going to be wet and slippery. I trust my bike riding skills, but I do not trust the crazy car drivers in this country.

This puts my weekend bike-riding plan on hold. I am going to stay home and stay warm. I will work on fixing my bikes, do some online shopping, clean-up my home, do my laundry, and catch-up on some work deadlines I have for the next week.

Nothing stops me from bike riding, except for the snow. As long as the roads are dry, I am always up for bike-riding. I hate snow. I hate winters. Thanks for listening to my snow-induced tirade, which concludes now.
Old 01-06-24, 06:08 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12778 Post(s)
Liked 7,695 Times in 4,084 Posts
Originally Posted by Eyes Roll
I woke up early, shaved, showered, packed my food in a container for the day, and I'm raring to go on a 75-mile ride today (and another 75-mile ride tomorrow). Now, as I look outside my window, it's snowing. It is going to snow in the evening. It is going to snow tomorrow, as well. The roads are going to be wet and slippery. I trust my bike riding skills, but I do not trust the crazy car drivers in this country.

This puts my weekend bike-riding plan on hold. I am going to stay home and stay warm. I will work on fixing my bikes, do some online shopping, clean-up my home, do my laundry, and catch-up on some work deadlines I have for the next week.

Nothing stops me from bike riding, except for the snow. As long as the roads are dry, I am always up for bike-riding. I hate snow. I hate winters. Thanks for listening to my snow-induced tirade, which concludes now.
I'm going riding, but just 15 miles or so. No cars.

Pic from Thursday:

Today will probably look more like this unfortunately:
Likes For LesterOfPuppets:
Old 01-06-24, 06:31 AM
Eyes Roll

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
I'm going riding, but just 15 miles or so. No cars.

Pic from Thursday:

Today will probably look more like this unfortunately:
Thursday was a dry day for me. In fact, today is the first snowy day of this winter season for me. I will have to ride approximately 11 miles on city roads, amidst cars, to reach a trail-like location similar to the one depicted in your pictures, where there is no vehicular traffic.

I am too chicken to ride in the snow, due to safety reasons. I wish you have a good day of bike riding and enjoy yourself.
Old 01-06-24, 07:48 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Winter doesn't suck it's your location that sucks.....Here where I live I can avoid high traffic roads and use secondary streets with less traffic and I also have off road paths and trails that I can ride on. Winter riding can be fun depending on the location of where you live.

Last edited by wolfchild; 01-06-24 at 09:08 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-06-24, 07:55 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18421 Post(s)
Liked 15,569 Times in 7,335 Posts
Why did this all come as a surprise?
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 01-06-24, 08:12 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 756 Times in 561 Posts
Different strokes. I really miss snow since I moved to Tallahassee. I love the winters here because most of the time they are like Fall up north. If I get out at dawn I still get to ride in the 30s F quite a bit and even the 20s F a little, but no snow. These days I stick to mostly mountain biking for my daily riding fix.

A little snow is great for mountain biking, hiking, or trail running. With more snow snowshoeing or XC skiing are another option. Maybe look at it as an opportunity to do something you can't do all the time.
Old 01-06-24, 09:37 AM
wheelreason

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 373 Posts
Weather Underground keeps it real...
Likes For wheelreason:
Old 01-06-24, 09:48 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10965 Post(s)
Liked 7,491 Times in 4,189 Posts
Snow and slick roads do suck.
I suggest you look at a weather forecast multiple times in the week leading up to your next big riding weekend.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 01-06-24, 10:00 AM
KJL

Bikes: Borealis Flume - Diamondback Hanjo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Love the Snow

I am your complete opposite. I love Winter! It's where I live so might as well embrace it. When I wake up to a fresh snow or see 3 to 5" expected I get giddy. My favorite thing is riding in a blizzard - I mean within reason. There comes a point where it gets too deep. Of course I am talking about trail riding vs road.
Old 01-06-24, 10:44 AM
force10

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 44 Posts
I'm stuck on shaving and showering before heading off to ride 75 miles.
Likes For force10:
Old 01-06-24, 10:49 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 824 Post(s)
Liked 1,659 Times in 784 Posts
Zwift.
Old 01-06-24, 11:32 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18421 Post(s)
Liked 15,569 Times in 7,335 Posts
Originally Posted by wheelreason
Weather Underground keeps it real...
You’d have to have been living under a rock not to know about the storm hitting the NE this weekend. Started snowing in Philadelphia about 30 min. ago. It’s going to change to heavy rain later, but the Poconos could get up to 12” in places. And another Nor’Easter is on tap for Thursday, with 3” of rain possible and strong winds.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 01-06-24, 11:49 AM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1746 Post(s)
Liked 1,376 Times in 721 Posts
Move, move to a warmer climate that does not interfere with your lifestyle. I stayed here in the frozen tundra at a pivotal moment in my 20's because I thoroughly enjoyed X-C skiing. I still enjoy it, but my knees tell me otherwise, and ya gotta listen to da knees!
Now I hate winter because I am limited in what I can do outside. Hopefully my wife come around to my suggestion above, and agrees to move to a warmer climate that does not interfere with our lifestyle.
Old 01-06-24, 12:44 PM
Eyes Roll

Originally Posted by TiHabanero
Move, move to a warmer climate that does not interfere with your lifestyle. I stayed here in the frozen tundra at a pivotal moment in my 20's because I thoroughly enjoyed X-C skiing. I still enjoy it, but my knees tell me otherwise, and ya gotta listen to da knees!
Now I hate winter because I am limited in what I can do outside. Hopefully my wife come around to my suggestion above, and agrees to move to a warmer climate that does not interfere with our lifestyle.
I can't. As a self-employed, you make a commitment to your business. It will be a hard decision to move since it takes years and years to build business at a particular place. It is not a decision I can make like employed people, who can quit one job at a place/state on Friday and quickly move to another place/state to start the next job the following Monday. Moving means potentially losing some customers and income. Personally, I prefer to remain where I am as I have no desire to work for someone else. If I were to move, it would be a one-time event in my life as a business owner, accepting the loss of existing customers in the current location and working towards building a new customer base in a new location.

I am located in the Midwestern US, where we haven't been affected by the snowstorm as severely as the Northeastern US. To all those in the Northeast, I wish you safe driving if you are on the streets. Stay safe.
Old 01-06-24, 02:04 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
When I relied on cycling for most of my exercise, our winters were frustrating, at times, especially when our trails are snow and ice covered. I like to ride outside in daylight, with a temp of at least 40F and reasonably reliable traction even if it’s wet or muddy. Combine that with my most demanding workload of the year and it isn’t very practical in winter.

For the last year I’ve organized my exercise around running three times a week plus cross training and a lot of strength training. I fit cycling in when the stars align in winter plus a lot more cycling during warm weather. It’s a lot more practical and sustainable for me. YMMV.

Otto
Old 01-06-24, 02:30 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Snow and slick roads do suck.
Not if you're using studded tires and plan your route carefully.
Old 01-06-24, 03:01 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10965 Post(s)
Liked 7,491 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
thank you for sharing.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 01-06-24, 06:07 PM
Alan K

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 333 Times in 259 Posts
True!

I have been enjoying it for decades.
Old 01-06-24, 06:43 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 2,058 Posts
First week of January almost over and I haven't even put the plow on the truck yet. XC skiing? Ice fishing? Not a chance after our warmest December on record.
Old 01-06-24, 08:08 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,979 Times in 1,920 Posts
the snow came after todays icy cold ride. i doubt it'll clear up any time soon. ugh
Old 01-06-24, 08:19 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 12778 Post(s)
Liked 7,695 Times in 4,084 Posts
Another perfect day for snowriding here. Unfortunately they're predicting 6-8", which will make it too deep for fun times. If that's accurate, gonna have to start looking into groomed trails for a while. Not sure if 3" tires are gonna work on those or if I'll have to get some 4" fatties.

Old 01-06-24, 08:30 PM
CrimsonEclipse

Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 648 Times in 381 Posts
In other news, it snows in the winter.
Likes For CrimsonEclipse:
Old 01-06-24, 08:33 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
And either you have roads with few cars or roads with competent drivers or you have access to trails, etc. I've ridden/walked home here in Portland where I've crossed tire tracks on the sidewalk. (Like 3 or 4 sets in a mile.) Pulled up at intersections, lifted my bike onto the sidewalk and let the following cars slide on through.
Old 01-06-24, 09:18 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,644 Times in 2,922 Posts
Enjoyed a fair amount of single track mtb riding when the snow is just right. Like the three bears, not too soft, not frozen, not too deep, but just right. Have to dress for it and keeping toes war was a challenge since I didn’t have winter mtb shoes.

Old 01-06-24, 10:43 PM
Sierra_rider

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur 4 TR, Canyon Endurace cf sl, Canyon Ultimate cf slx, Canyon Strive enduro, Canyon Grizl sl8

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked 847 Times in 342 Posts
I didn't let the snow get in the way of riding today. I could've really used a fat bike, but this builds character. On another positive note, I get all the benefits of a climby 50 mile road ride in less than half the distance with this sorta weather.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.