Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Road bike with straight handle bars

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Road bike with straight handle bars

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-24, 12:47 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,479 Times in 1,836 Posts
Your height is in no way an indicator of what size bike you need. Your proportions determine the best frame size.
is unusually short for my height. I often ride a 56 and some 58s, but most salespeople would put mew on a 58 minimum and bigger if they have one.

I don't know why you think the machine at the Trek store is only for casual riders---quite the opposite. Those machines track the motion of your various body parts, video the whole thing from multiple angles and determine what your body is actually doing, so that adjustments can be made and tested. Those machines, used properly, can really fine-tune a rider's fit, right down to shimming the cleats to subtly change the angle of the sole of the foot.

Those machines are overkill for casual cyclists. A good pro fit can cost several hundred dollars, but for a cyclist who riders a lot, the slight gains in comfort and efficiency might make a difference. For a casual cyclist there a re a lot of less exact ways to get a bike to fit well enough to ride---even for quite long distances---with plenty of of comfort.

Of course, no machine is better than the operator. An idiot can mess up your fit with a machine or without it. But if you go for a "professional fit," likely the fitter is going to put you on the test bike of one of those machines, with red lights on your knees, ankles, pedals, shoulders, hips, whatever, so that the machine can laser-track your movements and video them so that the fitter can make precise adjustments
Old 01-21-24, 07:03 AM
boomer58 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 17 Posts
Maelochs - The machine at the Trek store was just something that you stood in front of maybe 10 feet away and it took your picture. After they took the picture they put lines across your image and it showed your distance of your inseam, and from your inseam to your shoulders. I don't see how that can be a very accurate fit. Probably a general fit to give the average bike rider an idea of where you should be. The other store that I am getting the professional fit from has a machine that has a bike mounted on it and uses lasers to measure everything. You also bring your bike and wear all of your riding gear. I think it will be much more accurate.
Likes For boomer58:
Old 01-25-24, 11:13 PM
boomer58 

So here we go,I had a professional bike fit done yesterday. The guy that did it was so professional and knowledgeable. We talked about what my goals were, what kind of problems I was having, what kind of riding I do, all of my past injuries etc. He took measurements of my body, had me do some stretches to see what I was capable of and put all of the info in the computer. He put little round stickies on various parts of my body and hooked me up with a wire harness that sends info to the computer from a laser. He set my bike on the machine and I went for a ride. Turned the machine around 180 degrees and the laser took a look at my other side. He showed me all of the info and explained what the numbers meant on the screen. We then did some adjustments to the bike like raising the seat, we rotated the handlebars and moved the hoods and brake levers. Had to adjust the brakes a little bit because the rear brake was dragging a bit. I then got back on my bike and went for another ride. We compared all of the numbers and made a few more adjustments like my clips on my shoes. I can't say enough about the guy and his personality and knowledge. I rode home from the bike shop ( only 6 miles ) and it felt like a totally different bike. I took it out today for a 20 mile ride and it feels much better. I think I have to do some tweeking on the seat as it was a little uncomfortable after several miles. Unfortunately it all came to a crashing end when I was using the crosswalk with the lights flashing, 3 lanes of traffic stopped but the ******* in the 4th lane didn't. I came within inches of being run over from a jacked up speeding truck towing a very large boat. I ended up going down in the road while still clipped in to my bike. Wrenched my back, couple scrapes on the bike but otherwise ok. Could have been much worse. There were several people that witnessed it and they got his plate number. The cops came and made a report. They went to talk to him but he wouldn't answer the door. There were no real injuries so that's where I'm at. Anyways the bike felt great until the last mile. Hope all of you had a less stressful day. Sorry for the rant, boomer. P.S. Thanks for the advice on the professional fit. Money well spent.
Old 01-26-24, 09:13 AM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 246 Posts
Boomer58....after entering my 6th decade I decided to swap out the drops to flats on my Giant road bike.
I rode this bike in the early 2000's everywhere (with drops) but it became uncomfortable over the last few years.
Here's my example of the swap to flats. I ended up also removing the front gear changer and the large ring.

Likes For Speedway2:
Old 01-26-24, 09:31 AM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 246 Posts
Boomer58.....I just read about your scary incident. Glad you're ok and hopefully the driver gets processed.
Likes For Speedway2:
Old 01-27-24, 08:31 PM
boomer58 

Thank you Speedway, unfortunately I went out today and have some back pain. I went about 3 miles and was not feeling to good so it was a long 3 miles home. I also developed a fairly large bruise on my thigh. It certainly could have been much worse and I am so thankful that I wasn't seriously injured. I talked to the cop and the guys version was quite a bit different from mine and that is what infuriates me. I am not on social media but it was suggested that I have something posted on facebook and see what witnesses come forward but I'm probably just going to drop it. I am a firm believer in karma and he'll get his. To add salt to the wound, I just had the pro fit done the day before and the bike felt a lot better but today it felt horrible. I appreciate your thoughts. I have those grips on my other bike and they are great. They sure help with the hands. Looks like a nice bike.