Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Nasty Headaches After Hard Rides

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Nasty Headaches After Hard Rides

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-08, 08:37 AM
Ames

Bikes: 1980 Motobacane Team Champion 2008 Gary Fisher Hi Fi 2009 Madone 6.9

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hard exertion causes an increase in blood pressure and when it starts rising too much a headache can occur. It is normally localized and throbs and subsides in a shorter period than you mention so do not think it is the cause but:

Check with a qualified physician or other qualified source as it is too serious for this forum to answer.
Old 11-03-08, 08:58 AM
JMRobertson

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I sometimes find myself really tense in the shoulders and neck when I'm biking for no readily apparent reason. This can cause headaches and sore back, and all I have to do to stop it is to realize I'm tensing up and simply relax.
Old 11-03-08, 09:17 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1451 Post(s)
Liked 731 Times in 374 Posts
Exertional headaches after a very hard workout aren't that uncommon. https://www.bbc.co.uk/health/ask_the_...hessport.shtml

It happens to me occassionally, particularly if it's hot, and I've pushed right to the limit.

If you're otherwise in good health, and you're only getting the headaches after really hard workouts, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

If the headaches are causing you a lot of pain, or limiting your ability to function, then go see a doctor.
Old 11-03-08, 10:20 AM
mr handy
Living Notoriously Well

Bikes: 06 Felt F80

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I hate to sound like a broken record, but...
If this is something that has come up as the weather has cooled off then dehydration is a likely cause. Athletes loose as much fluid during activity in the cold-cool as they do in moderate to warm weather (the exception being possibly hot/very hot weather, though heat related problems tend to be a bigger problem)
Because its cool, people tend to forget to drink and become dehydrated. ( I would like to credit my sports medicine and coaching classes for this information)

It could be a sugar thing, I know that I need to bring something to eat (or a gel) on ride over 20 miles and a coke when I get back from a hard ride really helps to ward of headachs, settle the stomach, and give me a boost.

Edit* Dehydration story.
A week ago on Friday I didn't drink anything but a cup of coffee and a coke, than Saturday I went to Orlando and stood around all day in the sun (85/90 degrees) watching paintball (World Cup) with nothing to drink, than went to Hooters and had a couple beers. By the time 10 clock rolled around I thought I was going to die. So I forced down a glass of water and slept for 10 hours. Next day I was able to function, and continued to push water. I felt better by Monday.

Last edited by mr handy; 11-03-08 at 10:27 AM.
Old 11-03-08, 10:51 AM
NuBiker
Cedres, Encens et Miel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by K&K_Dad
he's not really describing s/s of stroke. If he was saying, I have the worst headache in my life, for no reason, blurry vision, ataxic gait, slurred speech, unequal motor ability I would say, maybe it's a partially blocked cerebral artery and you're dying.

Most likely it's dehydration.
I am not going to argue with you the patho-physiology of a partially blocked cerebral artery, which is way different from a stroke.
I am just saying that other possibilities are possible and shouldn't be overlooked as consequences can be severe.
Most probably it is dehydration, due to increased blood pressure and other factors.
Don't take the advices over an internet seriously, go to a qualified physician to rule out any problem, just in case...
Old 11-03-08, 03:02 PM
DScott
It's ALL base...

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Could be muscle tension, dehydration, electrolyte imbalance, exercise-induced migraine, vascular, impending implosive concateny, or any number of other causes... might be good to consult with a medical professional or two in Real Life (tm). That's an especially good idea if you're just starting to exercise more intensely.
Old 11-03-08, 03:25 PM
Treefox
Young and unconcerned

Bikes: Yeah, I got a few.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DScott
Could be muscle tension, dehydration, electrolyte imbalance, exercise-induced migraine, vascular, impending implosive concateny, or any number of other causes... might be good to consult with a medical professional or two in Real Life (tm). That's an especially good idea if you're just starting to exercise more intensely.
Well part of the problem may very well be that I'm exercising at similar intensity, but less often than I used to.

(my legs certainly feel that, though in a good way, unlike my poor poor 'ed)
Old 11-03-08, 03:40 PM
Bladecatcher

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have this problem from time to time, and one thing that I have finally figured out is that I seriously grit my teeth when I'm tired or hurting. Once I force myself to relax my jaw (and consciously remove my tongue from the roof of my mouth -- go ahead try it), my neck relaxes a little bit and the headaches are much less frequent.

Of course, I'm not a doctor...
Old 11-03-08, 03:42 PM
enjoi

Bikes: giant TCR campy-shimano mix/ Trek fuel 80/ Fuji track

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i used to get headaches as you described, i switched from pure water to poweraid/gatorade/HEED, it helped. I went to a doctor and they couldnt find anything major. It eventually went away.
Old 11-03-08, 03:50 PM
grahny
hobo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by patentcad
Go directly to a neurologist and get a CT Scan.

I get headaches after reading BF, but that's to be expected.

Hope you're OK. But seriously, do not F around with those symptoms, not at all. What you don't know can kill you. Quite literally.
+1... it could be anything from a sinus infection to not enough fluids to a tumor to your imagination - don't mess with it. Go to a doctor. Hopefully it'll turn out your helmet is just on too tight
Old 11-03-08, 06:13 PM
DannoXYZ 

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Easy way to test whether you've drank enough water is to weigh yourself before and after the ride. Your weight should be roughly the same within 1/2 lb. Also you'll want to adjust your post-ride recovery-drink based upon how much you burned off. Banana's not enough. You want a 4:1 carb-protein drink with at least 200-calories initially. Then follow up with additional drinks every hour depending upon how many miles you rode.
Old 11-03-08, 06:24 PM
Treefox
Young and unconcerned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ
Easy way to test whether you've drank enough water is to weigh yourself before and after the ride. Your weight should be roughly the same within 1/2 lb. Also you'll want to adjust your post-ride recovery-drink based upon how much you burned off. Banana's not enough. You want a 4:1 carb-protein drink with at least 200-calories initially. Then follow up with additional drinks every hour depending upon how many miles you rode.
Yup. Had a bottle of High5 4:1 and a bottle of Gatorade. Topped up bottles with water part way through.

Had two bananas, Clif bar, and a bowl of cereal.

Don't own a scale. Couldn't remotely guess what I weigh...
Old 11-03-08, 06:34 PM
Silver Litz

Bikes: Trek 5200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Are you wearing sunglasses? My first thought is dehydration, but this seems to be well covered. I have found that being in bright conditions without sunglasses lead to head aches.
Old 11-03-08, 06:36 PM
nitropowered

Bikes: Custom Custom Custom

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You need to get a scale and start weighing yourself. Have you always had these headaches or have they come on recently?

But really, you can sit here and listen to advice from people you dont know that may or may not have a medical background. If I were you, I would go see a doctor, get a blood panel done and go from there. When your body hurts, it hurts for a reason. Your body is telling you something is wrong, don't ignore it.
Old 11-03-08, 06:40 PM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Doctor - now. We can't guess what it is.
Old 11-03-08, 06:50 PM
Treefox
Young and unconcerned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have to admit I don't even know how to go to a doctor in the US...

Heh.
Old 11-03-08, 07:17 PM
2manybikes

Originally Posted by Treefox
I have to admit I don't even know how to go to a doctor in the US...

Heh.
Where are you?
Old 11-03-08, 11:18 PM
Neurodoc
Action Potential

Bikes: Specialized Ruby S-works 2008, Specialized Safire FSR Expert 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
HTFU and go see a neurologist.

No one can diagnose you over teh intarwebz.
Old 11-03-08, 11:57 PM
SunFlower
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I used to drink just water for running and cycling. I never got headaches. Then I switched to cytomax and I got headaches. I then switched to Gatorade and I got headaches. I switched back to water and no more headaches.
Old 11-04-08, 02:58 AM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by 2manybikes
I can guess what it is.

Malignant brain tumor. Terminal.

But that could be a bad guess. Now maybe you'll see the doctor.
Old 11-04-08, 03:30 AM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
By the way, thanks a lot, I dreamed last night I was having brain surgery, and right before they cut me, I asked to go to the bathroom. That made me wake up in real life to take a whiz @ 4AM, and now I can't get back to sleep.

I hope you're happy now.
Old 11-04-08, 04:30 AM
EGreen

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2manybikes
You wish to place your health and well-being in the hands of BF- particularly the Road forum who are going to argue this like DA vs. Campy?

Btw, the absolutely dumbest thing to do is take K supplements if there is no verified medical reason to. Why? Among other things, cardiac standstill!
Old 11-04-08, 05:14 AM
2manybikes

I can guess what it is.

Malignant brain tumor. Terminal.

But that could be a bad guess. Now maybe you'll see the doctor.
excellent !
Old 11-04-08, 06:35 AM
SPlKE 

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 21 Posts
By the way, thanks a lot, I dreamed last night I was having brain surgery, and right before they cut me, I asked to go to the bathroom. That made me wake up in real life to take a whiz @ 4AM, and now I can't get back to sleep.

I hope you're happy now.
Calm down.

You're obviously over-hydrated.

Stop drinking liquids and eating watery foods. Check back with me on this thread in a few days if you still have the problem.

Old 11-04-08, 08:20 AM
aicabsolut

Bikes: 2006 Specialized Roubaix Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For me, a headache after a ride is more common if I haven't eaten enough during or soon enough after the ride.

It's possible you are triggering a migraine since the headaches only happen when you do a ride where you go all out (which makes it easy to be low in calories, but you could get a low calorie/low electrolyte headache from other types of rides). To be sure, you'd need to see a neurologist.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.