Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

any good climbs near pismo ca?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-08, 08:44 PM
towerfab

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'll be visiting Pismo beach next week and hoped someone might be able to recommend a relatively nearby route with moderate to long climb, hoping for something with 2000 foot or more elevation gain, thanks, T.R.
Old 12-26-08, 08:55 PM
umd
Banned

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
There's not a lot that high in the area but Prefumo Canyon out of San Luis Obispo and Old Creek Road out of Cayucos (just north of Morro Bay) are good climbs I've done. The mountains just to the east are about that high but I don't think there are any roads into them, at least to the peaks. It's a little further away but Tepesquet Canyon just to the east of Santa Maria is about 2000' I believe and if you can travel a little further one of the best long climbs around IMO is Figueroa Mountain, out of Los Olivos.
Old 12-27-08, 10:39 AM
BigBlueToe

Bikes: Surly LHT, Specialized Rockhopper, Nashbar Touring (old), Specialized Stumpjumper (older), Nishiki Tourer (model unknown)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by umd
There's not a lot that high in the area but Prefumo Canyon out of San Luis Obispo and Old Creek Road out of Cayucos (just north of Morro Bay) are good climbs I've done. The mountains just to the east are about that high but I don't think there are any roads into them, at least to the peaks. It's a little further away but Tepesquet Canyon just to the east of Santa Maria is about 2000' I believe and if you can travel a little further one of the best long climbs around IMO is Figueroa Mountain, out of Los Olivos.
+1 on all of this. Old Creek Road has a hill the locals call "The Wall". I'm not a big hill climber so I've only ridden it once. I called it a "Barf Road" when I did. But it's also a famous motorcycle road, and I ride mine on it. When I do I always see bicyclists all over the place. One of the nicest centuries in the area is the Lighthouse. The normal route goes on Highway 1, but they offer a variant called the "Hilly Hundred" which takes riders over Old Creek Road and The Wall. Not for me, thanks.

Prefumo Canyon Road out of San Luis (which becomes See Canyon Road on the Avila Beach side) is very beautiful, but there's a substantial portion which is gravel. Be aware.

Another nice ride that features a substantial (to me) hill is Peachy Canyon, out of Paso Robles.
Old 12-27-08, 12:15 PM
NuBiker
Cedres, Encens et Miel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What they said, hopefully you get nice weather.
Old 12-27-08, 02:50 PM
towerfab

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
of the two you mentioned to the south of Pismo (Tepesquet and figueroa) which would have the better road conditions/traffic conditions? Obviously I prefer the least amount of traffic poss. and the most shoulder, thanks for your replies, Tom R.
Old 12-27-08, 03:28 PM
umd
Banned

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Tepesquet has better road conditions; although both have very little traffic, tepesquet is likely to have more. Figueroa is a loop, Tepesquet you would probably want to climb to the top, descent the backside, then climb back up and descent back to the start. Figueroa has is about 5000' of elevation gain, and has a short gravel section.
Old 12-27-08, 04:25 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
A good nearby climbing route on quiet roads is Cayucos to Cambria and back, via Montecito and Santa Rosa Creek Roads.

Start at Highway 1 and Old Creek Road. Turn around at Rainbow Coffee in Cambria. It's about 50 miles total, with maybe 5500' of climbing. Highest point is about 1900'.

Santa Rosa Creek Road is steep, be careful on the way down, and be ready for a big effort on the way up. The only facilities are in Cambria, so get what you need at the turn-around.

Old 12-27-08, 05:56 PM
prendrefeu
How much does it weigh?

Bikes: Lotus Fixed, Bianchi Virata 2004

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
MMMMmmm.... climbs..... I just drooled.