Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Kids first freestyle bike.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-23, 06:32 AM
Sport_Rider

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey all, I'm new to the group. So I'm in the market for a a first freestyle bike for my 11yo son. Looking for something with front and rear brakes and a rotor. Not sure what recommendations would be or what to stay away from. I found an online store with a nice price on a Haro Shredder DLX Pro and wondered what your opinions are on this option or if you have other suggestions as well as tour favorite online bike stores to deal with. Our buget is sub 500.

Thanks in advance! And any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Last edited by Sport_Rider; 07-16-23 at 06:41 AM. Reason: Add price
Old 07-16-23, 07:03 AM
Jughed

Bikes: Lemond Zurich/Trek ALR/Giant TCX/Sette CX1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked 773 Times in 404 Posts
I had the same budget - but brakes were not a concern. My kid didn’t want any at all and ripped the rear brake off.

I wanted to get him the spinner… I had one back in the day. No brakes seems to be the cool thing to do now.

During Covid times bikes were 1+ year out, I got lucky and found him a redline Recon for $450… I just looked at the redline site and many bikes are 50% off. The higher spec bikes are now in the $400 range.

Its been a good bike - heavy and could use a lighter set of wheels, but it’s a good starter bike.
Old 07-17-23, 06:57 AM
wheelreason

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 374 Posts
Originally Posted by Jughed
My kid didn’t want any at all and ripped the rear brake off.
LMAO. At least a couple of times a month we get a parent in the shop irate at "how dare we sell a bike like this..."
Bikes get "customized" and parts get swapped almost immediatly after leaving the shop, and the look on little Timmy's face when he sheepishly says "I did that" under his breath is priceless...
Likes For wheelreason:
Old 10-23-23, 01:37 PM
wilas

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
I wonder at what age kids can start riding such bikes. Also did your kids ride anything else before? I mean did they have bobby cars, ride-on bikes, etc.?
I'm asking because it seems that such things teach children how to balance that helps them in the future.
Old 10-23-23, 03:10 PM
lex further

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
My child got her first bicycle when she was just 3.5 years old, and it was a simple yet reliable model from the Puky brand. She quickly learned to ride it and had so much fun with it. Before that, she had an electric car from the Kids VIP shop, and it was truly an amazing experience for her. These electric cars are not only loads of fun but also made with high-quality materials, which set them apart from many of the kids' vehicles you find on Amazon. It's reassuring to know that she's enjoying safe and durable toys that enhance her playtime.

Last edited by lex further; 10-25-23 at 04:48 AM.
Old 10-24-23, 09:43 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1401 Post(s)
Liked 1,886 Times in 1,085 Posts

one of the first bmx bikes my youngest rode was this Hoffman Scarab - has 18” wheels so a tad smaller than typical 20” wheel bike … I believe he was around 8 yrs old at the time (?)

after that bike / point - he rode standard BMX bikes … BMX racers … MTBs … but no freestyle bikes
Old 10-24-23, 04:53 PM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 246 Posts
Originally Posted by Sport_Rider
a first freestyle bike for my 11yo son. Looking for something with front and rear brakes and a rotor.
I found an online store with a nice price on a Haro Shredder DLX Pro
Our buget is sub 500.

Thanks in advance! And any help would be greatly appreciated!!!
Welcome to the Forum.....
The Shredder is a nice sub $500 bike and any 11yo would be ecstatic to get one. Nice black paint/chrome fork & bars.
Don't know why he would need rotor brakes because at under $500 the quality would be suspect. IMO if he needs more stopping power swap the oem pads for a set of Kool-Stops (the clear ones). They squeal like a pig but can stop on a dime. Most BMX riders only use the brake to scrub off some speed. Some don't even have them. However, if your son needs a front brake, a complete kit can be had for ~$50.
Ensure he tries it for size before committing to purchase...
Old 10-25-23, 09:56 PM
50PlusCycling

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 822 Times in 413 Posts
If your kid is like me when I was 11, make sure he wears a helmet, and wears it right. Also, make sure you are up to date on your family’s health and dental insurance. In my BMX days I managed to break a couple bones, get a concussion which gave me amnesia for a few days, and knocked out 3 of my teeth. Wearing a cast in school is a great way to meet girls.