Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Getting wisdom teeth pulled- did I make the right choice?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-09, 12:06 AM
cedricbosch
W.W.DZ.D?

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Tomorrow I'm getting my wisdom teeth pulled. On one hand, I miss a week of training, but on the other, I figure I'm saving at least 15 grams. Also, dealing with the pain will be good training for my upcoming TT. Plus I get 15 hydro's out of the deal. Nice!
Old 01-05-09, 12:20 AM
weavers

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
a week? are the removing your entire jaw the get at the teeth?

i had two removed at a time and still taught a dance class that day. all i had was a minor headache and a couple of stitches. oh and yes i did commute to work those days.
Old 01-05-09, 12:23 AM
cedricbosch
W.W.DZ.D?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by weavers

i had two removed at a time and still taught a dance class that day. all i had was a minor headache and a couple of stitches. oh and yes i did commute to work those days.
Im getting four out and one is impacted- but that is great news! Everyone has been telling me one week off the bike. All the females I know have been telling me 4 days in bed with severe pain .
Old 01-05-09, 12:24 AM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,065 Times in 1,081 Posts
It's not rotating weight. Now if you removed a toe, that might help your acceleration.
Old 01-05-09, 12:40 AM
mfav7
mfav7

Bikes: '05 Specialized Allez, '08 Trek Madone 5.2 Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had all four removed last week and was able to resume my training after 48 hours. Just take it easy the first time you get back on the bike and make sure you're still getting calories/drinking water. People like to make it much more dramatic than it really is. That said, good luck to ya!
Old 01-05-09, 12:43 AM
wcoastbikr

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had it bad...4 impacted. Not fun at all. I had about a week of absolute suffering. I couldn't even open my jaw it was so badly swollen. Vicadin didn't do anything for the pain. Tylenol was just as helpful. Oh and I also kind of OD'd on vicadin. They gave me these huge extra strength ones, I took one about 30 minutes before I was supposed to ended up nearly passing out and throwing up. Split the pills in half after that, lol. Not cool when you can hardly open your mouth with 4 painful holes in your mouth.

But everyone else I know that had theres had an easy recovery. My ex was eating ribs the same day when she had hers pulled.

It's not like I wasn't used to the pain. I had 14 teeth pulled before that so it's wasn't anything new to me. Small jaw, and braces.
Old 01-05-09, 12:45 AM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 160 Posts
Originally Posted by weavers

Got mine off on monday. Was back on the trainer spinning on tuesday. Painkillers+ wanting to be on the bike will make you get back up.

HTFU.

One of them still hurts a little.

I would recommend riding a trainer and not going too hard if you're on painkillers especially for a day or two after surgery. You don't know what your body's really feeling and it would suck to be in a LOT of pain miles from home.
Old 01-05-09, 12:50 AM
s4one

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just removed my last two about 2 weeks ago, I ate solid foods that night and rode the next day! Man up and ride hard.
Old 01-05-09, 12:53 AM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Dentist started crunching my first (of 4, all impacted). After half an hour he stopped, stepped outside the door, and asked his receiptionist to cancel his appointments for the rest of the day. Kinda went downhill from there.

Like I said, have a toe removed instead. It'll hurt less and the lost rotating weight will be a bug help.
Old 01-05-09, 01:11 AM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 160 Posts
Originally Posted by s4one
I just removed my last two about 2 weeks ago, I ate solid foods that night and rode the next day! Man up and ride hard.
I didn't eat solid food for a few days. I couldn't open my mouth or chew.
Old 01-05-09, 01:12 AM
gregf83 

Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by downtube42
Dentist started crunching my first (of 4, all impacted). After half an hour he stopped, stepped outside the door, and asked his receiptionist to cancel his appointments for the rest of the day. Kinda went downhill from there.

Like I said, have a toe removed instead. It'll hurt less and the lost rotating weight will be a bug help.
Don't get them removed by a dentist. Use an oral surgeon. My son had 4 impacted wisdom teeth removed and it took less than 30 min. Recovery should be pretty straighforward if you're young but I understand there can be complications like dry socket that can be painful and take a few weeks to heal.
Old 01-05-09, 01:14 AM
Surferbruce

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
when i had 4 done I told the dentist I wanted three things. General anesthesia, a little nitrous before he put me out, and something in the Percodan family after waking up. still sucked though.
Old 01-05-09, 01:42 AM
downtube42

Originally Posted by gregf83
Don't get them removed by a dentist. Use an oral surgeon. My son had 4 impacted wisdom teeth removed and it took less than 30 min. Recovery should be pretty straighforward if you're young but I understand there can be complications like dry socket that can be painful and take a few weeks to heal.
while it was a loooong time ago, I'm pretty sure it was an oral surgen not my regular dentist. other than the fact that he had to cut my gums open to get to them, break them into pieces in-place, and extract each one piece by piece, it went fairly well. obviously YMMV
Old 01-05-09, 02:03 AM
tkehler

Location: My family and I -- wife and two young children -- live in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Bikes: TST ti 'cross bike (commuter); Guru ti road bike; recumbent; Airnimal Chameleon folding racing bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My brother who is younger and tougher than I am, had his out all at once. 4 out, general anaesthetic and he was very weak and bed-ridden for 4 days.

I had mine out at my dentist's, two on one Friday and two the next Friday. I went in around 9 a.m. each time, and was eating soup by late afternoon, and exercising lightly the next day.

I've heard from other that 2 and 2 is the way to go, impacted or not. (Many people have to have them cut into halves or quarter in order to remove them.)
Old 01-05-09, 02:10 AM
otakux

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tkehler
My brother who is younger and tougher than I am, had his out all at once. 4 out, general anaesthetic and he was very weak and bed-ridden for 4 days.

I had mine out at my dentist's, two on one Friday and two the next Friday. I went in around 9 a.m. each time, and was eating soup by late afternoon, and exercising lightly the next day.

I've heard from other that 2 and 2 is the way to go, impacted or not. (Many people have to have them cut into halves or quarter in order to remove them.)
Well ****** I'm going to get all four of mine out Tuesday so I guess I'm just going to have to eat vicodin like candy. Because there is no way I'm going to lay around in bed for 4 days.
Old 01-05-09, 05:42 AM
soni_guin
noob

Bikes: Trek 400

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i had mine pulled on a Monday, my parent's 25th wedding anniversary was the next day, and I was back at work on Wednesday. i had all 4 pulled, all were impacted, an oral surgeon did the job with an anesthesiologist... The anesthesiologist recognized me from the weekend before where were supplied the sound system for an outdoor concert that interrupted his friend's wedding, so he enjoyed the hell out of knocking me out.

A guy I was working with at the time had his pulled, and was back playing drums that evening, so YMMV.
Old 01-05-09, 06:15 AM
monk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I say the weight loss is worth it.
Old 01-05-09, 06:56 AM
thefatguy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had 5 out at once.

That's right, 5.

4 were impacted. I rode the Hilly 100 2 days later. My jaw was so swollen that I couldn't buckle the strap of my helmet. Be careful how you drink from your bottles. Suck the water out and you'll likely develop dry socket. Squirt it in too hard and you'll do just as much damage.

When I needed to drink i'd sit up, unscrew the lid of my bottle and drink like out of a cup.

Good luck!
Old 01-05-09, 10:14 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
I hope they're putting you under for it. I couldn't stand getting teeth pulled while awake (I had 6 removed while awake and 6 more while asleep... 4 of them being my wisdom teeth).

As for weavers' comment, you should avoid anything strenuous for a week after because it could rupture the sockets and stitches, making you bleed more than is safe. Daily activities were fine the next day for me, and I don't remember much pain. Just a stiff jaw and I had to eat soft foods for a few days. I did have to stay off the trumpet for (obvious reasons) until the stitches were out, though.
Old 01-05-09, 10:20 AM
dmb2786

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
you HTFU guys are effing nuts. when i got mine done, the pain from elevating my HR from getting out of a chair was enough to keep me sitting. missing a week is deff worth it IMO. maybe my dentist did it wrong. lol. also, i didn't get any perscription painkillers.
Old 01-05-09, 10:28 AM
Smallguy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had four out one or 2 were impacted

it wasn't bad at all I remember getting an IV then waking up while the doc and nurses struggled to carry my 250lb ass to the recovery room. They got a male orderly to move me to the car

I lived on protein shakes for a day then was eating pizza and regular food the next day... took a week off of work cause i had the sick days and watched movies. I also worked in a call cneter at hthe time so I did;nt feel my jaw was giood enough for tlaking for 8 hours on the phnoe
Old 01-05-09, 10:31 AM
cyclehen
too old for bike shorts?

Bikes: Trek 7.3FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't "man up and ride hard" before your oral surgeon gives the ok. You don't want to bust a clot loose and delay the healing process. A week sounds about right to me. You'll be glad you got them all done and over with at once. Don't stay in bed though (after sleeping off the initial anesthesia and drugs)-- no need to get that deconditioned.
Old 01-05-09, 10:41 AM
FreddyBoy
SmackTalk'rExtraordinaire

Bikes: LeMond Reno

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclehen
Don't "man up and ride hard" before your oral surgeon gives the ok. You don't want to bust a clot loose and delay the healing process.
100% accurate. You don't want to "bleed-out". (That is why you now often see dentists check your blood pressure before any type of invasive dental work like a root canal or extraction)
Old 01-05-09, 10:51 AM
timmhaan
more ape than man

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
i broke the stitches in my mouth going to the gym a few days after the surgery and bled like you would not believe.

made it about 10x worse than it needed to be. please learn from my mistake... take it easy until all healed up.
Old 01-05-09, 11:01 AM
markwebb
The Recycled Cycler

Bikes: Real Steel. Really. Ti is cool, too !

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If only 1 is impacted, your recovery will be swift. Ya wanna stay off bike for a week or so just to make sure you don't get any dry sockets.

My son got his out (all 4) last Christmas. He had 2 impacted. He was doing great the first day or 2 and then got more active - went back to work, typical college stuff during xmas break, etc. On 4th day he couldn't get out of bed the pain was so bad. He had not been rinsing properly and had not squirted salt water into the sockets and got the infamous fabled dry sockets. The way he felt first 2 days fooled him into thinking it ws no big deal. It then took 4x add'l visits to oral surgeon, some unpleasant procedures, and 3 weeks of pretty bad pain. Had he merely taken it easy and followed procedures he would have been fine.

So - take the week off the bike, and follow the oral surgeons instructions exactly and precisely - go OCP on it and you'll do fine. Push it and suffer the consequences.

Originally Posted by cedricbosch
Im getting four out and one is impacted- but that is great news! Everyone has been telling me one week off the bike. All the females I know have been telling me 4 days in bed with severe pain .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.