Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

One month tour in either west or east USA

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-11, 09:32 PM
nancy sv
family on bikes

Bikes: which one?

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Please help me out here! We are considering taking a one-month tour somewhere - not sure where yet.

We are living in Idaho, so could take off from here the beginning of August and go???? where? Could go up north to northern Idaho and Montana? Or west to the coast? Or????

OR - we will be visiting Grandma in Connecticut in July, so could take stuff with us to her house and leave from there. North to Maine? South along the coast? West to Pennsylvania?

Any suggestions? We're thinking we'll have around a month or so.

Thanks!
Old 05-11-11, 10:09 PM
mev
bicycle tourist

Bikes: Trek 520, Lightfoot Ranger, Trek 4500

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 178 Posts
I would visit Grandma and then head to the Canadian Maritime provinces.
Old 05-11-11, 10:39 PM
nancy sv
family on bikes

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
We actually talked about that. Years ago John and I set off from Grandma's house to ride up to Newfoundland - but our wheel exploded while in Nova Scotia and by the time we got it replaced we didn't have time to make it all the way up. In a month, we wouldn't have time either - but could get into the southern part of Canada...
Old 05-11-11, 10:41 PM
Newspaperguy

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
From Idaho, you could go north, then scoot across the border and explore British Columbia's West Kootenay region. That's one area that tugs at my heart every time I'm there.

That said, Connecticut and the Maritime provinces would be a good experience too.
Old 05-12-11, 12:20 AM
nancy sv
family on bikes

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Newspaperguy
From Idaho, you could go north, then scoot across the border and explore British Columbia's West Kootenay region. That's one area that tugs at my heart every time I'm there.

That said, Connecticut and the Maritime provinces would be a good experience too.
Yep - both good options. We're gonna have to narrow this down at some point...
Old 05-12-11, 03:25 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by mev
I would visit Grandma and then head to the Canadian Maritime provinces.
+1

And somehow I suspected you'd hit the road again soon.
Old 05-12-11, 04:37 AM
transporterjr
Retro-Grouch

Bikes: 83 Fuji Touring IV, 90 Univega Alpina Pro MTB, REI road bike, others in pieces

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Perhaps I could pick you guys up in CT and drive you to New Hampshire, and you could tour NH, Maine and Vermont. I have a mini-van and rear mounted rack. I could borrow a trailer perhaps as well.
John
Old 05-12-11, 04:44 AM
transporterjr
Retro-Grouch

Bikes: 83 Fuji Touring IV, 90 Univega Alpina Pro MTB, REI road bike, others in pieces

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My wife had a good idea, head North right into Vermont - that's well worth it. From there you could cross over to New Hampshire. Again, possible I could help with shuttle.
Myself, I lean to the west since I am here in the East. But the CT base does provide you with a new starting point beside home, so perhaps taking advantage of that would be great.
John
Old 05-12-11, 05:26 AM
late

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 12194 Post(s)
Liked 1,497 Times in 1,109 Posts
For an East coast trip..

You could do an arc. From where you're starting I'd go to
Fort Ticonderoga. Doesn't sound like much, but it was surprisingly enjoyable.
Restaurants were good and cheap too. From there, perhaps Burlington, the Kancamangus. Then down to the coast of Maine.
I can offer some suggestions for that trip. Burlington is a great place to take a day off. A section of downtown has no cars,
and you can have dinner outside. Portland, North Conway, and especially Camden are good places to take a day.
We're doing a short trip this year, and Camden is the day off. It's walkable, good restaurants, and in the center of town
there's a grocery store with great fruit. We discovered the Schoodic Peninsula and loved it a couple years ago. We took a
a quick ferry ride from there to Bar Harbor on our tour. Pretty neat. The coast of Maine is jagged, and that helped with the toing and froing.

You could also swing into Canada, from Vt or NH, but that doesn't always get you out of the heat.
Old 05-12-11, 07:50 AM
valygrl

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Ride over every paved continental divide pass in Colorado.
Ride to and up the Icefields Parkway to Jasper or start in Jasper & ride home.
Old 05-12-11, 08:37 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18420 Post(s)
Liked 15,564 Times in 7,333 Posts
Originally Posted by valygrl
start in Jasper & ride home.
I can't believe I am going to say this: I wish I lived in Idaho.
Old 05-12-11, 10:06 AM
transporterjr
Retro-Grouch

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by late
For an East coast trip..

You could do an arc. From where you're starting I'd go to
Fort Ticonderoga. Doesn't sound like much, but it was surprisingly enjoyable.
Restaurants were good and cheap too. From there, perhaps Burlington, the Kancamangus. Then down to the coast of Maine.
I can offer some suggestions for that trip. Burlington is a great place to take a day off. A section of downtown has no cars,and you can have dinner outside. Portland, North Conway, and especially Camden are good places to take a day.
We're doing a short trip this year, and Camden is the day off. It's walkable, good restaurants, and in the center of town there's a grocery store with great fruit. We discovered the Schoodic Peninsula and loved it a couple years ago. We took a
a quick ferry ride from there to Bar Harbor on our tour. Pretty neat. The coast of Maine is jagged, and that helped with the toing and froing.

You could also swing into Canada, from Vt or NH, but that doesn't always get you out of the heat.
Late has excellent ideas here! (we differ on No.Conway only) Acadia National Park is always worth a stop. I did not know there was a ferry to Schoodic Penn. Maybe I'll do that this year.
Old 05-12-11, 12:17 PM
simplygib

Bikes: Hard Rock Sport, Peugeot Triathlon, Schwinn Paramount Series 7

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
A few thoughts....

Leave from home, west to the coast, then south to San Diego (or as far as you can get in a month).

Boise to Tahoe area, eastern Sierra down to S. Cal.

Boise to Tahoe area, western Sierra, cross the Central Valley into the Coast Range and wine country.

Boise to Yellowstone, then south into Utah.
Old 05-12-11, 06:37 PM
nancy sv
family on bikes

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by indyfabz
I can't believe I am going to say this: I wish I lived in Idaho.
Seriously - there is no place I would rather live. We could, quite literally, go anywhere. We could continue traveling or we could live anywhere we want. We've chosen Boise cuz it's a great place!!

Thank you all for your suggestions and offers of help. We'll have to figure this out at some point - not sure what we'll end up doing.
Old 05-13-11, 12:26 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18420 Post(s)
Liked 15,564 Times in 7,333 Posts
Originally Posted by nancy sv
Seriously - there is no place I would rather live. We could, quite literally, go anywhere. We could continue traveling or we could live anywhere we want. We've chosen Boise cuz it's a great place!!
I'm a big city kind of person when it coems to daily living, although that seems to be changing somewhat thanks to the continued rise of selfish and discourteous behavior, the effects of which are compounded when you have a critical mass like you do in Philly. I can't walk down the sidewalk without having to dodge people with their faces burried in their phones, and you often take your life into your own hands trying to cross the street. That's why I get a kick posts discussing fears of bike touring. I probably face fewer dangers when I go on tours than I do during the course of a normal day at home. Bears and spiders don't scare me. A texting cabbie does.

If I were to hit it big in the lottery, I would definitely have a residence somewhere cool out west where I could spend a lot of time and do some great riding. I actually spent and afternoon and night in Boise prior to the start of Cycle Oregon in '02. (The ride started across the Snake in Nyssa, OR.) Seemed like a nice town.