Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Anybody use a Walky Dog?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Anybody use a Walky Dog?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-14, 09:58 AM
sknhgy 
Dirt Bomb

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5473 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 239 Posts
Anybody use a Walky Dog?

I run my pit bull with my bike, on a leash, on a 1/2 mile loop in our quiet neighborhood. I'm thinking of getting a Walky Dog bike attachment. Anyone have any experience with one, or maybe recommend a similar product?
Thanks in advance.
Old 02-26-14, 10:13 AM
spdracr39

Bikes: Lynskey Twisted Helix Di2 Ti, 1987 Orbea steel single speed/fixie, Orbea Avant M30, Trek Fuel EX9.8 29, Trek Madone 5 series, Specialized Epic Carbon Comp 29er, Trek 7.1F

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Perhaps you could mount a rabbit on a track and see if you can keep up
Old 02-26-14, 11:59 AM
Fastfingaz

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 13 Posts
Now ! that was uncalled for!!! anyway it don't have to be a rabbit , just a weenie on a stick! just saying,,,
Old 02-26-14, 12:31 PM
Looigi

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
I have seen a video somewhere of people using a couple of dogs to pull them, similar to dog sledding. They use a pretty long bridle with two dogs side by side at the end. The dogs in these vids were totally gung ho, going nuts when they saw the rig getting ready to go.
Old 02-26-14, 01:44 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
My son has something similar for bike-walking his husky-mix, which is about 85 pounds. The model he has attaches near his rear axle. He says the dog cannot affect the bike; in fact it's a training tool because if forces the dog to heel. The dog is sort of limited to a 'trot' rather than letting it 'gallop' at higher speeds; so no high-speed training runs.
Old 02-26-14, 02:21 PM
Fastfingaz

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 13 Posts
wHAT ABOUT YOU RUNING WITH THE DOG AND LET BOTH OF YOU BENEFIT FROM THE CARDIAL EXCERSIZE OR IS THAT TOO MUCH EXCERTION??
Old 02-26-14, 07:49 PM
CandSAdventures

Bikes: Fuji Robaix, Specialized Stumpjumper

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I saw one take out the bike and rider. It was not pretty. The squirrel got away without a scratch.
Old 02-27-14, 02:32 PM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Fastfingaz
wHAT ABOUT YOU RUNING WITH THE DOG AND LET BOTH OF YOU BENEFIT FROM THE CARDIAL EXCERSIZE OR IS THAT TOO MUCH EXCERTION??
mY KNEES WONT TAKE RUNNING...

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 02-27-14, 11:01 PM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I rode with my dog until the day that it got distracted when it noticed a group of dogs a block away and ran underneath my bike.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 02-27-14, 11:08 PM
Myosmith
Lover of Old Chrome Moly

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
It wasn't even my dog but I had an endo involving a friendly farm dog that was running alongside me on a rural highway when something in the opposite ditch caught his attention. Dog, bike and rider all survived. Bike and rider had minor damage, dog didn't get a scratch and wondered why I didn't want to play anymore.

I just can't see anything that attaches a running dog to a bicycle in motion being a good idea. Get a Bob Trailer, your dog won't get any fitter, but you will.

Old 02-27-14, 11:13 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
My wife tried it with her collie dog. She bought a rig that's a post about a foot long with a little bungee leash attached, it clamps to the seat post and sticks out to the left. Too short for the dog to run underneath the tires. It seemed to work ok the few times she tried it but she was worried the dog would get her feet rubbed raw on asphalt. And the dog always wants to stop and sniff. They never used it enough to really get used to it.
Old 02-28-14, 05:49 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
I have dog(s) and bicycles. Not all dogs have the right temperament or training to be able to run along side a bike safely. Not to mention the road conditions. I have one dog that makes a great jogging companion and will run for miles in the heel position, she is a border collie mix and lives with my brother who is a runner. The dog that lives with me right now is a walker hound/jack russell mix, loves to run, but will stop on a dime if he smells something interesting, NOT a good choice in this case. FWIW he loves to ride and will ride in a bicycle trailer, wagon, car, truck or golf cart at every opportunity. He will heel when walking, but needs to be reminded fairly regularly, the border collie will stay on heel for much longer periods of time, even when not on a leash.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 02-28-14, 05:54 AM
KLiNCK
Optically Corrected

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Sirrus , 2012 Specialized Roubaix Comp

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 30 Posts
Be careful out there ...

Old 02-28-14, 07:21 PM
MEversbergII

Bikes: Current: Origami Crane 8, Trek 1200 Former: 2012 Schwinn Trailway

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 19 Posts
My SO tries to ride with the dogs. The tiny one does alright in the rear basket, but the large one has variable success. Last time we tried, it kept freaking out and biting at the tyres for no discernible reason.

M.
Old 02-28-14, 08:05 PM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 293 Times in 216 Posts
i have never had a problem riding with dogs
even friends untrained dogs

i use a plain leash held loosely in my right hand
ready to let go
Old 03-04-14, 12:26 PM
timmythology

Bikes: | Surly Disc-Trucker| unknown city bike |M80 Raleigh |09 Trek 1.2|

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi

While I have not used the product discussed, I do actively exercise my dogs using my bike with a spinger attachment. Wally, a two year boxer/pit, has been around bikes since he came in to our home as a four month puppy. He has progressed from a bucket pannier/front wire basket, to a trailer, to the springer, and has been taught several commands through the wife to make navigation easier. Betty on the other hand is a, bully/pit mix, who came along when she was about 18 months old and has adapted to the springer very well.

Wally has completed several local rides like the Parkways, with his longest being the New Years Ride with the BTA, which I think was around seven or so miles. His training rides rotate with hills, and sprints, as well as traffic navigation with a distance between 5 and 10k. Wally was taught right, left, paw forward (forward) slow (slowing) stop and focus. His understanding of these commands allows for a predictable ride, and provides others with the potential of pit mix breed is capable of. For instance, when a group of mothers, on mothers day, rides behind you seeing the potential for disaster. The vision is of a dog mindlessly charging off to attack a young girl with a kitten handing out flowers to mothers. The gasp of horror as one rider commented "damn that dog did not even turn his head", which hopefully will provide a positive experience to someone who's only previous experience was negative advertisement. Many of these commands were front loaded into Wally through training, and agility from puppyhood, and was awarded a Canine Good Citizen card last fall for his efforts.

This is a picture of the New Years ride, shot by a guy on a skate board.

Now Betty, on the other hand was a very different approach. At 18 months, she did not have the handling advantage Wally had. She had also spent the last 18 months being bounced from one shelter to the next, and had only been in foster care a short while before she came home with us. Starting last summer with Betty she is up to a 5k trip, but could go farther if she did not pull so much. She really loves to pull, and charge forward, but the commands are coming along, and she loves riding in the trailer. Her main issue is if she is charged by other dogs. The only cure is to pay attention, just like on a group ride, to whats going on. Betty is a tank, but a very sweet one that loves to charge forward.

Here is a picture of her with the mount on the bike.

I have fun, and right now I am working on dog A on the springer and dog B in the trailer. That way I can take them out together and just alternate them. For that project I am using my LHT, which will allow the mount to be placed on the seat tube, instead of on the rear triangle. The bracket is above the water bottle, and this position puts them right next to my leg.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Ride.jpg (52.0 KB, 25 views)
before.jpg (26.7 KB, 25 views)
CommuterByWater.jpg (59.7 KB, 20 views)
Old 03-04-14, 08:49 PM
sknhgy 
Dirt Bomb

Thanks for the replys. Me and Mabel have been taking short, daily rides since we took her in about a year and a half ago.

" i use a plain leash held loosely in my right hand
ready to let go "

^^ This is exactly the way we do it and so far it has worked well. I ordered the WD because I think it would be better for me to keep both hands on the handlebars.
So far we have been on one ride with the WD. Mabel is kind of confused by it. We did OK when on the road, but then I tried to take her on a grass path and there were just too many distractions - things for her to smell or otherwise get her attention - and the ride went to hell.
I'm going to have to get her used to the WD. I felt much more comfortable using it but Mabel is a little freaked by it. Guess it's going to take some work.
Old 03-05-14, 06:58 AM
timmythology

Bikes: | Surly Disc-Trucker| unknown city bike |M80 Raleigh |09 Trek 1.2|

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It can take time to adjust.

With Betty and Wally, at first I would just connect them to the springer and walkem down the street. Do you use treats, or other ways to reinforce? Wally loves bacon, so I drbbled a little grease on the spring attachment, now they're friends. While Betty prefers pumpkin, and now they both like it. : )

Good Luck, and paw on
Old 04-27-14, 08:01 AM
jadams9000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
WalkyDog

Originally Posted by sknhgy
I run my pit bull with my bike, on a leash, on a 1/2 mile loop in our quiet neighborhood. I'm thinking of getting a Walky Dog bike attachment. Anyone have any experience with one, or maybe recommend a similar product?
Thanks in advance.
I have and do use the product. Bought it about 2 weeks ago and run the dog (a rescue, so as far as I can tell, a pure coonhound). He loves it. We usually walk for about 2 miles but he still has energy so I roll out the bike, attach the dog, and he pulls the bike for another mile or with some assist from me up hills. It works fine and he does get distracted but the device restricts him from pulling so hard that you lose control of bike. The walky dog keeps him away from pedals and keeps him a safe distance when making even tight turns.
Old 04-27-14, 10:08 AM
sknhgy 
Dirt Bomb

I bought one and am pleased with it. We use it for longer rides. For shorter rides I still run Mabel on her leash, held in my right hand.
The Walky Dog is more secure and stable. It just takes longer to hook the dog up, that's why I use the leash when I don't have a lot of time.
I have lengthened the rope on the Walky dog. Mabel wasn't used to being that close to the bike. The longer lead hasn't proven to be an issue.
You do have to routinely tighten up the mounting screws. My pit bull is strong and she can cause the device to rotate around the seatpost. I just keep the allen wrench handy.

Last edited by sknhgy; 04-27-14 at 10:11 AM.
Old 05-02-14, 07:06 PM
Gus90

Bikes: A few too many

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have a walky dog and use it with our Chesapeake Bay Retreiver Mix. He doesn't lunge and I let him determine the pace of the bike. He's a very energetic dog and needs a lot of exercise. This comes in very handy when I don't have a lot of time for a long walk or taking him to the dog park. He absolutely loves it and when I go on solo rides he actually gets jealous now because I am not taking him with me. A harness is essential as I would never recommend using his neck collar to attach him to the bike. A 10 minute ride around the neighborhood and he's a dish rag for a few hours.
Old 05-04-14, 09:09 PM
loneviking61

Bikes: Schwinn Trailwise, Surly Pugsley

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've used one for about two years now. It works well with most dogs. The advantage is that it keeps the dog out from under the bike. If you use one, there are some things to know. Different dogs have different styles. I have an aging Dobie/Shepard mix that is a strong sprinter and ill let her pull me until she gets tired and settles down. She runs, then goes slow and repeat.

The other dog is a one year old Pit/Boxer cross that's an endurance champ. Ill run her at about 7 mph for mile after mile. So, adapt your riding style to the dog.

I put large steel dog tags on their collars and then a harness on for running. The large tags jingle as we roll along and if the tingling is even and steady then I know I'm at the right pace for the dog. I carry water and stop to give them water, let them sniff and go potty, along with a rest. My dogs love to go and go nuts when they hear their harnesses being taken out. It's good exercise for me and them!