Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

3 Day Calif Tour?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

3 Day Calif Tour?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-14, 10:02 PM
grampa.sjb

Bikes: Litespeed Classic, Surly Disc Trucker, Santa Cruz Blur

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
3 Day Calif Tour?

I'm trying to set up a short 3-4 day tour with a friend of mine here in California. It can be anywhere from Sacramento to San Diego, and the Coast to the east side of the Sierras. Camping or motels. May have our wives for SAG.

What's your best suggestion for a couple of new tourists?
Old 11-10-14, 10:15 PM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I'd probably pick a section of the coast - especially if the SAG support lets you do it as a one-way trip conveniently (always go north to south along the west coast). Either starting around Eureka or in Monterey and going south as far as desired. There are both hike&bike sites in state parks/beaches and motel options in either area.
Old 11-10-14, 11:46 PM
grampa.sjb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, the coast would definitely be north to south. I have no desire to go against prevailing winds! Thanks!
Old 11-10-14, 11:46 PM
hueyhoolihan

Bikes: 8 ss bikes, 1 5-speed touring bike

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by prathmann
I'd probably pick a section of the coast - especially if the SAG support lets you do it as a one-way trip conveniently (always go north to south along the west coast). Either starting around Eureka or in Monterey and going south as far as desired. There are both hike&bike sites in state parks/beaches and motel options in either area.
ya, this time of year i'd say Monterey to San Luis Obispo. or Ft. Bragg to Pt. Reyes?
Old 11-11-14, 03:45 AM
TallTravel

Bikes: Trek (Fisher) 29er Mamba, Giant 64cm Defy

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How much climbing do you want to do?
Old 11-11-14, 05:07 AM
mev
bicycle tourist

Bikes: Trek 520, Lightfoot Ranger, Trek 4500

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 178 Posts
One of my favorite three day rides was San Jose to San Luis Obispo - via Monterrey. I did this numerous times when living in the Bay Area, and then took Amtrak back to San Jose for the return.
Old 11-11-14, 08:41 AM
raybo
Bike touring webrarian

Bikes: I tour on a Waterford Adventurecycle. It is a fabulous touring bike.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 53 Posts
Since you have SAG support, I'd suggest a non-contiguous tour.

Day 1 - Half Moon Bay to Santa Cruz

Day 2/3 - Carmel to San Luis Obispo

Finding a place to sleep on the Big Sur coast on night 2 might be a challenge, unless you want to camp.

If you are willing to drive north on Day 1 and south between days 2 and 3, an even better 3 days would be

Day 1/2 - Fort Bragg to Gualala (article about this ride)

Day 3 - Carmel to Ragged Point
Old 11-11-14, 08:58 AM
grampa.sjb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TallTravel
How much climbing do you want to do?
Generally not an issue - unless you're talking about multiple continuous miles of 15%! My preference would be for all downhill (!!!), but I've got a good low end on my touring bike.
Old 11-11-14, 10:01 AM
sstorkel

Bikes: Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Schwinn Typhoon, Nashbar touring, custom steel MTB

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I think one question that people have failed to ask is: when? The coastal routes being suggested are great... unless you're planning to do them in the middle of winter. Conditions haven't been too bad lately, but rain and dense fog are increasingly likely at this time of year!
Old 11-11-14, 10:29 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Death Valley begins to Cool Off this time of Year. so there is the east side of the Sierras.

High Desert tends to Cool off at night significantly.. Sag with a rented Motorhome will offer a warm place to sleep at Night.
Old 11-11-14, 02:13 PM
stevepusser

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Last year with the drought in California, touring would have been fine all winter along the coast and most inland locations that were not at high altitude.
Old 11-11-14, 02:28 PM
Cyclebum

Bikes: Tour Easy, Linear USS, Lightening Thunderbolt, custom DF, Raleigh hybrid, Felt time trial

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Around the Salton Sea is within your options and time frame. Yeah, it's different, but fun with the right attitude. If you appreciate the weird, do the short side trip to Salvation Mountain and Slab City. The entire route is pretty flat.
Old 11-11-14, 04:16 PM
grampa.sjb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Time would be during the summer - maybe not the best for Death Valley or the Salton Sea. Interesting suggestion for a winter ride though...
Old 11-14-14, 02:02 PM
Shifty
Sore saddle cyclist

Bikes: Road, touring and mountain

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Start in Calistoga, ride to Healdsburg, then to Guerneville on day 1. Take the back roads along the Russian River between Healdsburg and Guerneville.
Day two go to Cazadero, then to the coast on Fort Ross road, then down to Bodega Bay or Point Reyes Station.
Day three follow coast and over to Mill Valley.
Old 11-14-14, 02:07 PM
raybo
Bike touring webrarian

Bikes: I tour on a Waterford Adventurecycle. It is a fabulous touring bike.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 53 Posts
Originally Posted by Shifty
Start in Calistoga, ride to Healdsburg, then to Guerneville on day 1. Take the back roads along the Russian River between Healdsburg and Guerneville.
Day two go to Cazadero, then to the coast on Fort Ross road, then down to Bodega Bay or Point Reyes Station.
Day three follow coast and over to Mill Valley.
Be aware there is a big hill between Jenner (the town at the coast west of Cazadero) and Fort Ross (old Russian Fort on the coast). You will have a serious climb going both ways as the top is between the two places.

Frankly, I'd let the SAG drivers visit Fort Ross while you head south at Jenner.
Old 11-14-14, 02:20 PM
Shifty
Sore saddle cyclist

Bikes: Road, touring and mountain

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by raybo
Be aware there is a big hill between Jenner (the town at the coast west of Cazadero) and Fort Ross (old Russian Fort on the coast). You will have a serious climb going both ways as the top is between the two places.

Frankly, I'd let the SAG drivers visit Fort Ross while you head south at Jenner.
An option on Fort Ross Road is to make the left turn on Meyers Grade Road down to coast highway. Dropping down to Fort Ross is a steep descent. Fort Ross Road is nice, especially since the cargo will be in a SAG.
Old 11-15-14, 01:16 AM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by raybo

Since my wife hates dealing with traffic issues, we rode over that hill at about 3:00 AM last May. The only other living thing we saw before we got to Guerneville was a bobcat. While looking down over the edge of the road at the moonlit surf hundreds of feet below, my wife agreed that that was a wonderful time to ride a tandem in that place.
Old 11-15-14, 01:24 AM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
If you feel like some hills in a slightly different locale, I would recommend the Lost Coast. Access either from Ferndale (take the steepest hill out of town and you're on the right track) or from the Avenue of the Giants (into Honeydew). You can mix it up with a bit of unpaved road, or you can stay on pavement until Shelter Cove, where you will have to either come back out to hwy101 or take the 24-miles of unpaved Usul Rd to Hwy 1. (Very pretty option in a desolate sort of way; one side of the track is owned by a private hunting club and the other is a wilderness area) Day one could be Ferndale to camp A.W. Way just outside of Honeydew (short day). Day two could be from there to camp Usul (six miles from hwy 1) and the third day could be to Ft. Bragg or some point south of there. You won't have any traffic until you get within ten miles of Ft. Bragg, but you will have a few hills.