Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Shimano RC5 biting into Achilles tendon--suggestions?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-24, 01:42 PM
cormacf

Bikes: 2017 Lynskey Sportive Disc, 2021 Lynskey Pro29, 1977 Schwinn Super LeTour 12.2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 29 Posts

I just bought a set of Shimano RC5 road shoes, and I could only wear them for about 60 seconds on the trainer before the stabbing pain in my Achilles tendon was too much.

The shoe fits fine otherwise, and--unlike a lot of shoes--doesn't bang into my ankle bone, but the back of the shoe seems to come up quite high, and is rubbing against and/or digging into (depending on where in my pedal stroke) the back of my tendon. I was curious, so I pulled out a very old, very cheap Shimano shoe from 12-15 years ago (left), and it seems like it MIGHT be a tiny bit shorter in the back, but it definitely has about a half an inch of pliable padding where the RC5 has stiff shoe.

It looks like I'll have to return these, but does anyone have any suggestions for a lower-heeled road shoe?

Old 04-24-24, 02:24 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 1,444 Times in 821 Posts
You could try padding for where the contact is, like moleskin or a bandaid. When the shoes loosen up a bit, and that sore spot gets toughed a bit, they might be just fine.
My feet have become quite sensitive to fit. Rarely do I get shoes that have no break in period for maximum comfort, especially with cycling shoes.
IME, recommendations for cycling shoes, fit wise, are questionable, like cycling shorts. Too many variables in foot size and, more so, foot shape.
Old 04-24-24, 03:30 PM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 669 Posts
I think maybe you bought a size too small ? or the heel tab is just too tall ?

that said, the Shimano shoes have gotten narrower over the last few years. The latest pair I bought was just too snug in width. And I have very narrow feet!

perhaps try an orthotic insert - superfeet or something ? maybe that will help..

/markp
Old 04-24-24, 03:38 PM
Trakhak

Quoted: 2502 Post(s)
Liked 2,980 Times in 1,690 Posts
I've had shoes like that. I inserted firm, moderately thick insoles to raise my foot in the shoe. That usually fixed the problem, although sometimes it just relocated the problem area.
Old 04-24-24, 03:42 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2252 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,818 Posts
Send them back. They will only get more problematic. They will put you off biking, and maybe do permanent damage. Even if you can't get any money back, get rid of them.

I use Shimano XC 2-bolt cleat shoes. They are at the opposite extreme. I dread the day I wear them out and have to replace them.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 04-24-24, 05:28 PM
cormacf

Bikes: 2017 Lynskey Sportive Disc, 2021 Lynskey Pro29, 1977 Schwinn Super LeTour 12.2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
Send them back. They will only get more problematic. They will put you off biking, and maybe do permanent damage. Even if you can't get any money back, get rid of them.

I use Shimano XC 2-bolt cleat shoes. They are at the opposite extreme. I dread the day I wear them out and have to replace them.
I'm sending them back for sure. I have some 2-bolt shoes that have served me fine for up to 200-mile rides, but I also have some Asioma Duo power meter pedals, and I was hoping to find some 3-bolt shoes that fit.
Old 04-25-24, 03:54 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 1,444 Times in 821 Posts
Originally Posted by cormacf
I'm sending them back for sure. I have some 2-bolt shoes that have served me fine for up to 200-mile rides, but I also have some Asioma Duo power meter pedals, and I was hoping to find some 3-bolt shoes that fit.
I have found regular spd 2 bolt to work better for me. I found no advantage with the 3 bolt sl's, actually a detriment. The cleats do not wear well, and it takes very few steps to increase the rate of that wear. Also, there are covers available that do work, but they are still sketchy for any walking, and one has to remember to bring them along, then put them on before taking the steps. I still have 2 pairs of the 3 bolt that do not get used. The size 9 Bont Riot are very comfortable with a bit more room in the toe cap.