Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Keeping the touring load manageable

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Keeping the touring load manageable

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-12, 12:38 PM
gregw

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I save weight in some areas and add heavy comfort items in others, but the best thing that I have done for weight savings is cycle shorter days and not care about weight.
Old 12-05-12, 04:14 PM
MassiveD

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Bekologist
I'd like to see that. I have what in my mind is a similar shelter but constructed out of a sil-nylon shaped tarp and a straight pole instead of a hoop. weighs under a half a kilo.
I just finished a Jardine tarp, but there probably won`t be pictures until I seam seal it in the spring. Right now it is muddy and wet most days. I started this project a long time ago, and ended up in several years of going nuts when my sewing machine, a sailmaking one that worked perfectly before all this, took a dive. I just figured it out. Only upside to this long struggle is that I learned a lot, and the problem was not with me, it was a QC problem with the sewing machine.

I started making tons of stuff sacks sewing machine covers, notions, so now I am really confident. I used to make more complex backpacking and climbing gear, but it was so long ago that I needed to relearn a lot. After making all the bags, the rest is easy. Most stuff, panniers, sleeping bags, tents, is just a bag in different form.

Most times, a well regulated home machine will do this stuff just as well as my walking foot machine, but once I started down the path, I had to solve the problem. There is a good chance that most of you would have no problems, and that your machine would sew a couple of layers of sil nylon, with ease. I am really liking making this stuff, it is a lot of bang for the buck. There is about 15 bucks of material in one of these tarps, and for some people in less buggy climes, a tarp is all they use.
Old 12-05-12, 04:25 PM
MassiveD

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
My method to reduce weight is:

1) familiarity with ultra light backpacking trends where the gear can be reduced to under 10 pounds for everything you need other than food and water. Some people are competitive about this stuff and have outfits that weight a few pounds. To me, I only care about the low hanging fruit. I don`t want to look like the guy who is wearing tin foil to protect himself from cosmic rays.

2) leave everything behind. I did one two week tour with zero electronics, stove, etc... in `05. If one is doing a lot of tours, why not, where is the downside. All my tools fit into the palm of my hand.

3) I select based on multiple use. So I don`t carry a multi-noneofthisstufffitsmybike tool. My ideal would be to carry one allen wrench that fit everything on the bike, etc... I don't carry a smart phone, but really, there is something that replaces camera, map, guidebook, phone, technical manuals, to state the obvious.

Though I do a lot to lighten the load, by going after the big ticket items and cutting huge weight, I don't have to sweat a lot of other stuff. I'm not out to prove anything, I need lighter weight for me, and everything that goes on the bike, or not, is because of what I want.
Old 12-05-12, 07:33 PM
KirkBeiser

Bikes: KHS town bike, Motobecane road bike (in my grandparents attic), Fuji Newest 1.0 (never ride) and a touring bike to be built soon

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I will be packing pretty light until it comes to electronics for a long trip. I'm a wannabe pro photographer/blogger/writer and that's a large part of the satisfaction that I get from travel so that stuff stays. It's not ridiculously heavy but once you add up a DSLR, 3 compact prime lenses, a small but real tripod, a 7" tablet, solar charger, GPS and maybe another item or two it adds up.

As far as camping stuff goes I will be traveling similar to when I was thru hiking and got my gear down to the 10+ lb range. 1 lb tarp, ultralight (but warm) sleeping bag, REI neoair pad (a new luxury), alcohol stove and many other lightweight options.

I've always found that the best way to cut weight is to take a look at all of the little odds and ends that get thrown in because they are small. This stuff really adds up and usually you don't use much of it.
Old 12-05-12, 09:17 PM
ClemY

Bikes: Hollands Touring Bike, Schwinn mountain bike, folding bike, tandem and triple

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SparkyGA
Reminds me off the (travel) backpacking rule: Take all the stuff you want to carry and stick it in a pile. Throw half of it away. Look at the new pile in a few days and proceed to throw half of that away too. Works good.

Biggest thing to me is bringing too many spare parts. I carried an extra pound or 2 on my last tour for 5 months and didn't use a single piece of it.
I also carry too many spare parts. The only spares I ever used was a shifter cable and only needed it because I buggered up a cable upon reassembly of the bike in the airport at the start of the trip.
Old 12-06-12, 06:37 AM
stevage

Bikes: Specialized Tricross Sport 2009

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Me, I love carrying spare parts. On a recent trip my partner's gear cable failed. I pull out the spare, 5 minutes later we're going again. Basically, all the spares I carry are from previous experience:
- tubes
- spokes
- derailleur hanger
- chain links
- derailleur cable

None of those are particularly heavy.

And seconding everyone who said to bring less clothes. Me: one pair of knicks, one jersey, one pair of lightweight zip-off pants, thermals (top/bottom), rain jacket. Plus usually three pairs of gloves, because I JUST DO OK?
Old 12-06-12, 11:15 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by stevage
Me, I love carrying spare parts. On a recent trip my partner's gear cable failed. I pull out the spare, 5 minutes later we're going again. Basically, all the spares I carry are from previous experience:
- tubes
- spokes
- derailleur hanger
- chain links
- derailleur cable

None of those are particularly heavy.

And seconding everyone who said to bring less clothes. Me: one pair of knicks, one jersey, one pair of lightweight zip-off pants, thermals (top/bottom), rain jacket. Plus usually three pairs of gloves, because I JUST DO OK?
Sounds sorta OK. Thermals dry quickly after washing but padded bike shorts take longer to dry so an extra pair helps. Once went on a credit-card tour in really hot weather & went sockless--by 2nd day my bike shoes were stinking badly. Later learned about Febreze Sport which works pretty nicely.