Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Dogs

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-17, 11:56 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3675 Post(s)
Liked 5,441 Times in 2,764 Posts
I don't care for dogs. They lick their butts and other parts, then they lick their owners. I've seen owners kiss their dogs on the mouth, do they not care where that dog mouth has been?
Old 06-19-17, 12:01 PM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 2358 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
More dumb human behavior.
Old 06-19-17, 12:06 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by SquidPuppet
Sure it does. It's the only thing that matters. You just don't see that.

When I knock on someones door to see about buying a Craigslist lawnmower and a dog sneaks up behind me and puts his jaws around my forearm, whom the owner is or how the dog was raised really doesn't matter to me.

When a farm dog is racing across a field on an intercept trajectory, whom the owner is or how the dog was raised really doesn't matter to me.

-Tim-
Old 06-19-17, 12:08 PM
coominya

Bikes: Giant ToughRoad Giant talon

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 705 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
It sounds like your issue is more with bad human behavior rather than the dogs themselves. I feel the exact same way about society's addiction to smart phones.
I think you're right SP. I really don't dislike dogs at all, it's not their fault people have gotten too busy to properly look after them. And I suppose I can't blame the individual people either, their attitudes are just a mirror of what society as a whole has got swept up in over the past 40 years. The Me Me society I call it.

But knowing all that doesn't help when I step in a big sloppy barker egg, like I did on my, "MY" footpath the other evening
Old 06-19-17, 12:12 PM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Originally Posted by TimothyH
When I knock on someones door to see about buying a Craigslist lawnmower and a dog sneaks up behind me and puts his jaws around my forearm, whom the owner is or how the dog was raised really doesn't matter to me.

When a farm dog is racing across a field on an intercept trajectory, whom the owner is or how the dog was raised really doesn't matter to me.

-Tim-

The dogs are doing those things because of how they were raised.
Old 06-19-17, 12:49 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
The dogs are doing those things because of how they were raised.
But how the dog was raised is uninteresting to me at that particular moment.

I've found that one the "Pathways to peace" in life is honesty about what I am in control of and acceptance of things I cannot control. God grant me the serenity, etc....

I'm not in control of how millions of people raise their dogs. ^°^

We really need a "Good Doggies" thread though.

-Tim-
Old 06-19-17, 01:34 PM
corrado33

Bikes: 199? Landshark Roadshark, 198? Mondonico Diamond, 1987 Panasonic DX-5000, 1987 Bianchi Limited, Univega... Chrome..., 1989 Schwinn Woodlands, Motobecane USA Record, Raleigh Tokul 2

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1131 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
But how the dog was raised is uninteresting to me at that particular moment.

I've found that one the "Pathways to peace" in life is honesty about what I am in control of and acceptance of things I cannot control. God grant me the serenity, etc....

I'm not in control of how millions of people raise their dogs. ^°^

We really need a "Good Doggies" thread though.

-Tim-
You must hate humans as well because if I had to guess, I'd say there are many more bad humans than dogs in the world.

It doesn't matter where the bad humans come from, or how they are raised, it's perfectly reasonable to hate an entire species for the deeds of the few.

I've been bitten by dogs. I've been chased by dogs as a child that scared the bejesus out of me. As I got older I realized it's just that some dogs weren't taught to play nice and that I shouldn't judge all of them based on the bad deeds of that particular one.

As I've grown to like dogs more, they seem to like me more as well. I no longer have bad dog interactions. No longer have dogs chase me or dogs scare me.
Old 06-19-17, 01:52 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3900 Post(s)
Liked 4,843 Times in 2,232 Posts
Good doggies / bad baby thread

My good dog -
Babies are a disaster - crying, irregular schedule, pooping in their pants, walking slow and SLEEPING ON THE JOB.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
WIN_20161230_05_39_37_Pro.jpg (96.1 KB, 76 views)
Old 06-19-17, 01:53 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
I don't like most dogs, but some are OK. That one is hilarious. At least we can put to rest all the advice of how one just needs to pump it up to 11 to sprint away from a dog

And yes, my issue is probably more to do with their owners than the dogs themselves, but with most possessions in life that people dislike, the two are inseparable.

Except for the fur. I cannot stand the fur. I've resorted to driving myself places when I look in someone's car and realize they expect me to sit in seats that are covered in fur.

Last edited by jefnvk; 06-19-17 at 01:56 PM.
Old 06-19-17, 02:16 PM
Deal4Fuji
minimalist cyclist

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 945 Posts
How can you guys not like dogs ? I'll bet Donald Trump doesn't like dogs
https://www.popsugar.com/news/Does-D...e-Dog-43366100

Last edited by Deal4Fuji; 06-19-17 at 02:20 PM.
Old 06-19-17, 04:40 PM
REDMASTA

Bikes: Bare Rum Sword Knuckle Runner

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 64 Posts
Originally Posted by coominya
I'll answer it. But don't forget, you asked, you insisted on an answer.

I don't like dogs in general because they crap all over the yard, they chase you an bite at your feet when you're cycling, they cost a fortune in vet bills, but most of all, the reason I detest them, is because they get into people's affections and turn those people into anti-social dog-lovers. You can't go to their house without the dog slobbering all over you, you can't sit on the couch without getting covered in hair. Obviously all of these reasons can be traced back to the owners, to there lack of respect for their pets, for their unwillingness to train the animals as all domesticated dogs need to be.

Back in the old days people had dogs and the dogs stayed outside, knew their place, they were trained not to commit anti-social behavior. Today people treat dogs like 'people' and personally I find it sickening. One observation I have made though is that the people who become true pet lovers do so because they can't seem to engage in a true relationship with another person, with a human. I have seen it time and time again, lonely men, lonely women who have alienated all their friends and family, getting a dog and forming an un-natural relationship with it. Today a lot of adults even allow their dogs to sleep on their bed. Disgusting!

It's called the pet culture, another example of how our western society is running away from it's traditional social obligations. Have a great day
lot of hurtful truth in this post. I had dogs as a kid and I like dogs in general but have no desire to own one as an adult. I have friends and family with dogs and honestly their house and car is usually covered with slobber and hair, plus they often skip out on doing things or have to leave early because the dog will either chew, piss, crap, or a combination of all 3 if left alone too long. It's like having a toddler that never grows up. I suggest putting them in a cage or leave them outside and they look at me like I'm a horrible person.
Old 06-19-17, 06:50 PM
coominya

Bikes: Giant ToughRoad Giant talon

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 705 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by REDMASTA
It's like having a toddler that never grows up. I suggest putting them in a cage or leave them outside and they look at me like I'm a horrible person.
That's exactly what dogs become for many owners. They infer human qualities on their animals and in so doing lose touch with reality. It's only a small step from there to viewing the dog as their little child. There is nothing cruel about chaining a dog up if you train it to not test the limits of the chain all day, nothing wrong with disciplining it when it willfully disobeys direction either. But people wont even discipline their children anymore so what hope is there of a mass uptick in dog discipline?

It all starts when the dog is allowed in the back door. Dogs are outside creatures, that's why they have hair all over them. Let the dog come into the house with you and you have opened the floodgates to all kind of undisciplined behavior. " Oh but he's so cute! How could you say such a thing..."

Here are 2 dogs that I wouldn't speak out against. I would always come up if I saw them being walked past and make a fuss over them, even my girlfriend's cat would come up and rub noses with them. How could you not, they are adorable

But guess what. She keeps them outside in a covered porch. Doesn't want dog hair on the carpet.

Last edited by coominya; 06-19-17 at 06:53 PM.
Old 06-20-17, 06:38 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,585 Times in 2,344 Posts
snacks for a fox or coyote
Old 06-23-17, 08:51 AM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

This dog performs CPR

Old 06-23-17, 09:51 AM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 44 Posts
I'm not a fan of rabid dogs.

Cats however, are far more likely to to eat humans after they are dead.
Old 06-23-17, 10:40 AM
Yendor72

Bikes: 2016 Trek Emonda SL, 2016 Framed Wolftrax

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Hmm, my dog is white, I'm wearing a black shirt right now. Not one dog hair on it. He's an inside dog too. Strange.
Old 06-23-17, 11:57 AM
DomaneS5
Fredly Fredster

Bikes: Trek Domane S5, Trek 1.1c, Motobecane Omni Strada Comp, Trek X-Caliber 6

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by coominya
I'll answer it. But don't forget, you asked, you insisted on an answer.

I don't like dogs in general because they crap all over the yard, they chase you an bite at your feet when you're cycling, they cost a fortune in vet bills, but most of all, the reason I detest them, is because they get into people's affections and turn those people into anti-social dog-lovers. You can't go to their house without the dog slobbering all over you, you can't sit on the couch without getting covered in hair. Obviously all of these reasons can be traced back to the owners, to there lack of respect for their pets, for their unwillingness to train the animals as all domesticated dogs need to be.

Back in the old days people had dogs and the dogs stayed outside, knew their place, they were trained not to commit anti-social behavior. Today people treat dogs like 'people' and personally I find it sickening. One observation I have made though is that the people who become true pet lovers do so because they can't seem to engage in a true relationship with another person, with a human. I have seen it time and time again, lonely men, lonely women who have alienated all their friends and family, getting a dog and forming an un-natural relationship with it. Today a lot of adults even allow their dogs to sleep on their bed. Disgusting!

It's called the pet culture, another example of how our western society is running away from it's traditional social obligations. Have a great day
A lot of truth in this post. I know several people like this... one of them is a relative.

I'd never own a dog. I like cats. Our family has an indoor/outdoor cat... low maintenance. He only uses the litter box during the winter months and prefers to spend more time outdoors than indoors.

Last edited by DomaneS5; 06-23-17 at 12:03 PM.
Old 06-23-17, 12:08 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
dated a girl once with a doberman. every time she & I "got busy" the dog would growl at me & gimme a nasty sideways look. she'd giggle then usher the dog to another room. never planned ahead, just always let it happen

I dated a woman with two corgis. She was always on duty, shaping their behavior & being the 'top dog'.

Tiring.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_1780.jpg (94.7 KB, 31 views)
Old 06-23-17, 02:53 PM
kevlar_heart 
Helpless Bike Fiend

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Roubaix SL4 Sport 105, 2021 Felt Broam 30 GRX810, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Sport 105

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
Cat approved

My rescue cat (April) approves of Arthur. She knows what it's like to be unwanted. April was left along with her litter at an Animal Shelter. We adopted her 2 years after her last kittens had found homes. That was in 2006

April_arm.jpg
Old 06-23-17, 09:19 PM
dstark55

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lol that dog is beautiful. Killing it!