Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Planning a Trip to Quebec

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-17, 05:24 PM
wburglett

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey guys. This spring I'm planning to ride from St. Albans in Vermont to Quebec City in 30 mile (50 km) pieces. I've chosen St. Albans as the starting point as it is the last stop on Amtrak's Vermonter, so I will be able to make use of the bicycle racks. Just one problem: after arriving in Quebec City, I will have no easy way to return the bike to New York City.

Since I was planning to fly, I've been told I should expect to have to take it apart and pay $150. I'm not sure the bike (a 15-year-old Univega Hybrid) is worth that amount of money, so perhaps I should sell it or give it away instead? Ideally, I could pass it off to someone who wanted to make the reverse trip, but I'm not sure I could find that person.

So my question is: how would you approach this situation?

If there's a better forum for questions like this, please let me know. Thank ya'll so much.

PS: I'm looking for a riding partner if anyone is down.

Old 10-09-17, 06:48 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3242 Post(s)
Liked 2,086 Times in 1,181 Posts
Research a bike shop or orginization in QC that sells used bikes, donates etc. and give it to them.
Old 10-09-17, 08:48 PM
acantor
Macro Geek

Bikes: True North tourer (www.truenorthcycles.com), 2004; Miyata 1000, 1985

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
There are costs associated with shipping a bicycle home after a trip, but if you like the bicycle, you may as well bring it back. "Take apart" means using a wrench to remove the pedals, loosening the handlebars and turning them 90°, bleeding a little air from the tires, and rolling the bicycle into a plastic bag. With practice, the entire "disassembly" process takes five or ten minutes; the reassembly process takes a few minutes longer. In other words, it's not a big deal.

I have flown in and out of the airport in Quebec City with my bicycle. The airport is relatively small, and feels a little more relaxed than, say, LaGuardia, Toronto, or Heathrow.
Old 10-09-17, 09:02 PM
gauvins

Bikes: Custom built LHT & Troll

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 846 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 106 Posts
Originally Posted by wburglett
[LEFT]I've been told I should expect to have to take it apart and pay $150.
Prices vary across airlines. Air Canada will charge 59CAD. Get a large plastic bag, remove the pedals and turn the handlebars sideways.
Old 10-10-17, 08:04 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Check with different airlines before booking for actual fees, sometimes it is better to pay a bit more of a base fare and get better bike charges. I've never flown with them, but it appears that WestJet allows bikes to be substituted free for a piece of checked luggage, and fly Quebec City to NYC. Likewise, Porter looks to allow a bike as a piece of of you checked luggage allowance for $50CAD
Old 10-10-17, 01:26 PM
skimaxpower

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Most local bike shops will box and ship your bike for you - often cheaper than bringing it on the plane.

Nothing like riding your bike into a shop at the end of your trip, handing it to them, and having it show up from FedEx on your front porch a week later. Quebec City has plenty of bike shops. Call around and see who can provide this service for you upon arrival.
Old 10-10-17, 09:16 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 972 Times in 795 Posts
Originally Posted by skimaxpower
Most local bike shops will box and ship your bike for you - often cheaper than bringing it on the plane.

Nothing like riding your bike into a shop at the end of your trip, handing it to them, and having it show up from FedEx on your front porch a week later. Quebec City has plenty of bike shops. Call around and see who can provide this service for you upon arrival.
a border crossing could very well entail some issues, and you'd have to look into this.

as recommended, look into other airlines and the bike costs, it could very well be worth it bringing it back with you.
Old 10-11-17, 08:10 AM
Altair 4

Bikes: 2011 Novara Forza Hybrid, 2005 Trek 820, 1989 Cannondale SR500 Black Lightning, 1975 Mundo Cycles Caloi Racer

Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 157 Posts
Passport! Don't leave home without it!
Old 10-11-17, 08:56 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Altair 4
Passport! Don't leave home without it!
Actually, a valid point. One can cross the land border with an enhanced ID but not fly, I'd be stupid enough to cycle across with my drivers license then try to fly home before I realized my mistake
Old 10-12-17, 03:38 PM
travelinhobo

Bikes: I'm not a guy - brand doesn't matter.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
If you have your ending date, don't rule out finding a ride for it on Craigslist. A year and a half ago I ended my tour and bought a ticket to Boise. As soon as I did that, I realized I couldn't go thru with my original plan of selling the bike before I flew as the bike had become sentimental to me. Well, I guess the stars and the moon were aligned just right because strangely, I found a guy on CL advertising that he was driving from my point to Boise! Paid him $40 to bring it.
Old 10-12-17, 10:11 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 972 Times in 795 Posts
I'd add to perhaps not have a date set in stone, depending on how the winter goes and how our spring is. As you move up into Quebec, it generally will be colder, and if its a really rainy period, it could be kinda blah. Take a peek at temps and whatnot in preivious years at a given month to get an idea.

thats the thing with spring, it could be 5c or it could be 25c on a given day or week in lets say may.
Old 10-15-17, 09:14 AM
Samcls04

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Long-time lurker, first time poster. You could start from White River Junction in my neck of the woods and ride up through the White Mountains in NH! I could put you up for a couple days. It might be nicer scenery than the route from St Albans?